Reintroduction Update - One Month Separation

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so it's coming to 6 months since the incident with the stray cat and I'm very happy to say that my cats have stopped fighting and are finally getting along, somewhat :D

Sometime in July, I made a fence with those plastic fence things to block the door with so that I didn't have to shut the saferoom door all the time. This was a super cheap and I just needed to use 2 large clothes pegs to clip one side to the door while I hook the other side of the fence to the doorway with a string to a clothes hook. The cats didn't try to go through although there were a few instances where they did manage to slip out. Anyway this allowed them to see each other everyday. Meimey would hide a first then she slowly relax. What I did was just to ignore them, let them be and not fuss over every single action. I told myself that I had a life to live instead of worrying over my cats as it was becoming a very tiring task to entertain 2 cats separately. If Meffy started to bully, I would just give a yell "Hey!" or "Stop" and move on.

In August, Meffy has an abcsess again. Not sure how she got it since both cats are separated but it seems to be a recurring thing since last year. She had some stitches, stayed in the hospital for 3 days (because I was away) and was put in a cone for a month. This made her kind of miserable when she got home. But during this time, I was also able to open the fence completely without Meffy going into the room to bother Meimey. Maybe Meffy was just too miserable with the cone on to bother about Meimey. I started keeping the fence open whenever I was around then left it open at night. No more hissing or attacks.

By the end of August, Meffy's abcsess have completely healed. The cone was removed. By now I have removed the fence completely. Both of them would see each other, have a nose greeting or a little lick then move on. Meimey is still a little scared to go around the house whenever she sees Meffy sitting there but I'm thankful that I no longer have to use a fence and they no longer fight.

That is all I needed. They may be friends again or they may just be tolerant roomates. I'm just glad about no more fighting because it makes my life so much easier. Oh, I still keep another litter box in the saferoom for Meimey because I notice Meffy likes to stare when she uses the big litter box which they used to share.