Reintroducing Adult Cats After 1 Year

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
We have an opportunity to place a 4.5 yr old male with a 4 yr old female he was once very bonded with. Both cats came into the rescue around 6/7 wks old...the female was placed in the home last Christmas Eve.

The cats grew up together and were very bonded with each other (we hated to separate them; but, could pass up the female going to a wonderful home.)

The male has become aggressive to a few other cats in the rescue over the past 1.5 yrs (mainly towards female cats.) He has adapted well to being placed with 2 younger male cats and there were never really any problems with aggression towards these two.

My question...
Has anyone had experience placing or reintegrated 2 adult cats that were bonded at one time, separated for a year or more, and then reintroduced?

Everyone knows that things will need to be taken slowly and the potential adopters are fine with giving the male time to acclimate properly.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Sorry, no I don't.  But I imagine all the normal introduction procedures would apply.

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I fostered five 5 day old kittens and when they were 12 weeks old I adopted three of them out and kept two. One went to my parents. At the time I was living on my own, and about a year later I moved back into my parents house with all three of my cats (I already had another one before fostering the kittens).

It was very difficult to reintroduce them. I followed the guidelines on every article about reintroducing cats and slowly it worked. You just have to be consistent and be patient.

Last edited:

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We took in a cat we thought was homeless(Princess), the owners saw her through the screen door, a slight custody battle ensued and eventually she was given to us. About two years after that her former owners came by and offered us their other cat Daisy. The two had spent about six years together before they gave us Princess. We gladly took her in and she was shy the first two weeks but after that they started cuddling and hanging out together. We never had any problems. Both were strictly indoor cats.We still have Princess.Daisy passed away this Semptember(her pic is in the new cats on the block forum)

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Forgot to mention we took Daisy to the vet as soon as we got her. Also, she was shy partly because she had never set foot outside and they had tossed her out about a month before giving her to us. They also said people were tormenting her and threatening her. Sorry to go off track, missing my Daisy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Daisy; but, glad you took her in and showed he some love!

I am *hoping* the two are able to acclimate relatively quickly. The family is more than willing to go slow and each cat will have their own "safe" room. My biggest fear is with the *potential* for the male to be aggressive. We will of course take extra precaution when we do the initial introduction. Plus, the mom is home most of the day; so, once they are introduced, they will be able to be monitored most of the time.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recently brought a territorial aggressive male into my house.  He was causing all kinds of problems with my other outdoor ferals.  I had no choice but to bring him inside.  I also have an indoor only cat (male).  Everyone is neutered (forgot to ask if all your cats are neutered?).  We did have issues with the inside boys.  I took introductions very slowly, but there were still major fights.  I really had to work hard.  I did find that Composure liquid Max was a great help to both cats.  It really took the edge off.  Following the guidelines for proper cat introductions also helps.  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

It can be done. Patience, love and time are your friends.  I used a cheap screen door from Lowes attached with tension rods when the boys were ready to see and smell each other.  It kept them both safe, but allowed them to see and smell.  I also used the screen door to help the stray adapt to my house.  It allowed him to be in his safe room, yet see us as well as hear and smell us.  I only used it when I was around to supervise.

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

It can be done. Patience, love and time are your friends.  I used a cheap screen door from Lowes attached with tension rods when the boys were ready to see and smell each other.   It kept them both safe, but allowed them to see and smell.  I also used the screen door to help the stray adapt to my house.  It allowed him to be in his safe room, yet see us as well as hear and smell us.  I only used it when I was around to supervise.
Can you elaborate on the setup?  I'm going through a reintroduction of two sisters who are now fighting due redirected aggression.  Currently, I'm keeping them out of each other's sight as sadly, one sister loses her mind when she makes eye contact with her sibling.  I'm hoping to work up to them to seeing each other in a few weeks.

I rent so I can't really do much to the apartment.  I'm also considering stacking two pet gates on each other.  The pet gates I've seen do not provide enough height.

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh that's clever.  But would the rods hold up in the face of a charging cat?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh that's clever.  But would the rods hold up in the face of a charging cat?
I wouldn't leave it set up without supervising the cats.  I would use more tension rods for more stability.  I also have a baby gate in front of the screen door so there is lots of stability at the bottom.  The door itself is very lightweight and the screen isn't very thick.  I use it more for supervised introductions.  As time goes by, supervising will be less and less.  You can even start by doing the scent swap and when ready, feed them on either side of the screen door.  I always have a towel that I have rubbed one of the cats with.  It's even better if the cat will sleep on the towel for a day or so.  Then use that towel and put the other cats food on it.  The cat will associate good things with the smell of the other cat.  Do the same for both cats. 

The screen door works so well when you do not want to deface your current door.  It's a bit of a pain to move and get in and out of, but better than fighting cats.

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks Shadow.  Right now we are a long way off from making eye contact but fingers crossed, we will get there.