Reintroducing A Kitten To Mum And Brother After Significant Period Apart

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for thoughts and suggestions . I acquired a pregnant cat earlier this year (very long thread in the pregnant cat forum). The kittens are now 5 months old and I have keep one along with mum. All spayed /neutered aged 11weeks. The other three kittens went to lovely new homes and have all got on well. One kitten's family are going on holiday later this month and have asked if I could look after her for 10 days. It will be nearly 2.5 months since she and her mum+brother have seen each other. Are they likely to remember and get on? My house is not huge so not possible to shut cats in rooms where they can't hear each other and I'll be out at work quite a bit, will also have quite a few house guests part of the time - so potentially a little difficult to manage the reintroduction.
I would like to help them and see her, but not risk stressing her and or my two cats out (mum and son get on beautifully).

Thanks in advance.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a similar situation. My son broke his ankle and he and his cat had to move in for about two weeks. The suggestions I got here were it may not be worth going through the whole intro thing for a temporary stay. I kept his cat (a kitten but not related to mine) away for a few days. On day three one of my boys managed to get the door open. It worked fine for the three of them but it might not for everybody. Is the kitten up to date on flea protection, shots, etc?

My boys don’t care about strays in the yard so I was hopeful they wouldn’t mind a house guest but you never know. I have since adopted a third kitten who gave everyone an URI that is finally clearing up for all three of them.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you do some scent swapping? Feline sleeping blankets passed back and forth? I think that because they're related, this might be ok and not be much hassle, cat wise.
Will the cats be ok with your human house guests?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks @pj8gr.thats good to hear. Wonderful picture - the expression on those cats faces :)
All the kittens were vaccinated before they left me, sure her people will have flea treated etc (they are a work colleague so easy to check).

Biscuit (mum tortoiseshell) and 5 month old son Leo. Biscuit occasionally hisses and gives her son a bash, especially if hungry or is playing with her tail! He just adores his mum.
DSC_0174.JPG

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There, see? It might not be a bad thing, the other kitten could benefit from mum's training :)
Gorgeous cats, everybody!!

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Furballsmom Furballsmom yes I will try some scent swapping.
The guests are actually the new owners of one of the other kittens (she isn't coming too! as she will stay in her own house with another member of her new family). So they are very cat aware people, but include youngish children, and Leo may be a little alarmed by them - he is a bit of a sensitive soul. However they were wonderfully good kids when Leo's other sister came to live with them and was introduced to their other cat.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rosie the kitten has arrived yesterday for her ten day holiday stay. She seems very relaxed and friendly and is currently shut in a bedroom with all her stuff. She does cry a when alone for a while, but I've given her lots of attention

She has briefly met her brother, they were wary but touched noses a couple of times. She did later hiss so I separated them.

Her mum has been smelling her on stuff for over a week, so I let her see her daughter through a crack in the door and mum seems a bit anxious and hissed. Then has been more hissy and growling at her son (who lives here with her). She does hiss and bash him occasionally, but mostly they get on well. So I'm concerned seeing her visiting daughter (essentially a stranger) will cause damage between the relationship between mum and son. The daughter is here for nine more days. Should I continue to keep them separate? Tomorrow I'll be at work all day and they will be able to hear each other either side of a door. Is this likely to trigger the anxiety in the mum? I could leave them futher apart, but would mean shutting mum and son in room they aren't used to be shut in.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated