Rehydrating freeze dried raw

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What's the best way to rehdyrate freeze dried raw? I let a Primal freeze dried venison nugget soak in water for an hour before I fed it to Leroy. It was a still a little hard to break up but I thought I got the pieces small enough. Leroy proceeded to choke on a piece :shocked: He managed to spit it out. And tried to eat it again :doh: Should I smash the nugget first and then let it soak in water? Does water temperature matter?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's the best way to rehdyrate freeze dried raw? I let a Primal freeze dried venison nugget soak in water for an hour before I fed it to Leroy. It was a still a little hard to break up but I thought I got the pieces small enough. Leroy proceeded to choke on a piece :shocked: He managed to spit it out. And tried to eat it again :doh: Should I smash the nugget first and then let it soak in water? Does water temperature matter?
We crumble Primal before rehydrating then mash the Primal pieces in the water. ; smashing would work, too. Their foods can vary a fair bit in crumbliness/hardness. Pork is definitely harder than turkey; we've never fed venison.

We only use cool/cold liquid but I think some people do use warm. Honestly, with the pork, I'm not sure the temperature would make much difference.

Good luck!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's always going to be easier (and less messy) to break it up when it's still dry as opposed to trying to break it apart after it's rehydrated.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I used to use primal freeze dried I would use warm water to mash. I like them eating warm food too. Only fed the turkey and chicken flavors though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:thanks:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Other than a food processor, what is the best way to smash up a freeze dried raw nugget? I've been putting the raw into a baggie and smashing it with a can of soup but that wastes a baggie :ohwell: I guess I could smash the raw directly in the bowl with the can of soup but I don't want raw pieces flying everywhere.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I break the nugget to large pieces with a spoon and then smash the large pieces with fingers. It takes few minutes to rehydrate after.
I have to mix it with can food. Vega doesn't like the nuggets...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Primal venison is too hard to break up with a spoon or fingers.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Not Primal but I feed Stella & Chewy Turkey nuggets and as others mentioned I crumble it first, add warm water and smash it with the back of a spoon. It only takes minutes to have a pate consistency. Carleton eats it voraciously without any trouble.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other than a food processor, what is the best way to smash up a freeze dried raw nugget? I've been putting the raw into a baggie and smashing it with a can of soup but that wastes a baggie :ohwell: I guess I could smash the raw directly in the bowl with the can of soup but I don't want raw pieces flying everywhere.
Have you tried a coffee grinder?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of Primal's nuggets really can be very difficult to break, they're nothing at all like the freeze-dried foods we've fed from three companies. Crumbling or mashing with cutlery just isn't an option with some flavors. Even the "crumbling" (by hand) that I mentioned above is more like "breaking off" pieces of the pork. It's very hard.

Maybe a knife (a large one, like a chef's knife) and a cutting board would work better, at least to cut it into pieces that might be more ready for crumbling. I still think KarenKat KarenKat 's suggestion of a mortar and pestle sounds like the best option, though.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't drink coffee so no coffee grinder. I'm fine with using a can of soup. It's just a waste of a baggie and creates a big mess without one.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't drink coffee so no coffee grinder. I'm fine with using a can of soup. It's just a waste of a baggie and creates a big mess without one.
I don't drink coffee either, but a grinder is useful for a lot of things.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I used to feed Primal's freeze dried raw venison nuggets, I crushed the nuggets in a glass bowl with a pestle. It only took several minutes to crush the nuggets into small pieces. I would then add warm water gradually to get the consistency of the food the way the cats liked it - a chunky mix, stirring the food, then serving.

Primal's freeze dried vension nuggets, what I remember about it several years ago, are that they're hard as rocks. Primal told me this was because the vension is so low fat.

I always enjoyed smashing them up with the pestle - I had to pound so hard it was a great way to release negative energy. :)

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That thread makes me wonder: why none of the freeze dried for cats is sold in the “powder” form? Why do they make an effort to create nuggets etc if that’s such a pain?

Melanie (Meowtel)

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've tried both Primal and Stella and Chewy's. For us, Stella and Chewy's is better (smaller nuggets and overall better received by Max).

I learned this one from one of my clients and when I use freeze dried myself, I do it this way as well. In a metal strainer (think sifter), dump the amount of nuggets you plan on serving into the sifter/strainer and rehydrate with incredibly hot water. The nuggets should soften instantly. Before serving, make sure it cools down enough (like you would a baby bottle) so the nuggets don't burn the kitty's nose and mouth. Be sure to use metal though as bacteria can get stuck in plastic.