Rehoming My Cat

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need to re-home my cat and I feel sad about it knowing that she is really bonded to me but I Know that she will have a better life with an owner with more space and money. I'm hoping someone could give me info on what questions I should ask prospective adopters?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Which cat is it Pen'sMomma Pen'sMomma ? Is it the stray kitten you found last year?

It can be really difficult to re-home cats, are you sure you can't keep the cat yourself?

It's easy enough to make the most of the space in a small apartment by putting up cat shelving etc. I understand that cats can be expensive to care for, but unless you're finding it a real struggle to provide everything she needs she'd probably be a lot better off with you.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so sad to hear, and probably also could stress your cat. I am sad for you, as giving up a pet is not easy.

Anyway, you can ask the prospective adopters the same things that you currently cannot be able to provide your cat.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats care more about relationships than things. If you can do the bare minimum consider keeping her. She doesn't need anything fancy, she has you.

If you can't afford to feed her or the landlord is being a b, then ask your vet for help for starts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan I have to re-home the kitten and my cat Penny .I am not too worried about the kitten. I know the people and k know he will be okay but I am worried about Penny. She is very anxious sometimes and had a lot of trauma before my friends bf abandonned her. I don't really have enough money and we living in a shared house and they have to mostly stay in my room. It's become really stressful living like that and the animals are becoming kind of destructive.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If you're really sure that it's impossible to keep her I suggest you re-home her through a No Kill shelter than by yourself.

Shelters will have already have a re-homing policy in place, have more experience of vetting potential adopters, be in a better position to advertise a cat for adoption and also will have a contract written up that will protect the cat from being passed on to anyone else.

Don't you think the situation might improve once you have re-homed the kitten though?

My cats have free run of the house and a large enclosure, but they spend most of their time curled up in their favourite spot. As long as she gets to come out of your room sometimes I don't think she minds her living arrangements. If she's already anxious and then loses you and her home I think it's only going to traumatise her more.

In what way is she destructive? Does she have things like a cat condo or a window she can look out of.

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't you think the situation might improve once you have re-homed the kitten though?

In what way is she destructive? Does she have things like a cat condo or a window she can look out of.

I don't think it is going to improve because I am already too stressed I don't have the patience that she needs and deserves. She doesn't want to be in my room and there it becomes a big ordeal to go in and out because she can't go where ever she wants in the house because the house is not cat friendly. I often find things that are dangerous to her just lying around. And chasing her or yelling for her to come back is really stressful for her and then she is afraid of me for the rest of the day. And that's with everything; if I do things in a certain way it upsets her for hours. Another example is if I carry a box into my room she freaks out and is freaked out for hours, but my room is tiny so when she is acting like that it is too much for me.

The cats have scratched paint off of my wall and she has all of a sudden began going to the bathroom outside of the litter box and the kitten also goes outside of his box and it is behavioral not medical. I am not sure about Penny but she has pooped outside of the box 3 times in the past two months. My room smells like pee and I can't get it out so I probably lost my deposit. I kept Penny because I wanted to help her but I don't think I can anymore.

I will go through a shelter though, that seems like the best choice.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make SURE it's a true no-kill shelter though. My mom once took an anxious cat to a "no-kill" shelter and they killed her (for being "unadoptable) so grill them hard about their policies.

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I just wanted to update everyone: The kitten has been re-homed and is doing well. Every no kill shelter had a large fee and a long waiting list and while this was all happening I began dating someone new and Penny started going outside of her litter box even more. Now Penny is an outdoor/indoor cat. She has a house outside and has access to food and water throughout the day. When I call her she comes home and is never allowed inside unsupervised. She is still adjusting but isn't extremely stressed and now that I am less stressed out I am more patient with her. Everything has calmed down. And when I have more money i am going to get her one of those collars that connects to tracker apps so that when she does inevitably venture out further than my and my neighbors backyard, she doesn't get lost. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice about her.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be sure you get a break away collar. Cats hang themselves regularly escaping from enemies when wearing non=break away collars. There are no second chances.

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Be sure you get a break away collar. Cats hang themselves regularly escaping from enemies when wearing non=break away collars. There are no second chances.
I didn't know about this thanks for the info. The first few days she had her harness/jacket on with her name and our address but somehow tore it off. Now I am wondering if she got it caught on something.