Rehoming difficulties - cat shy with new people

jlbecker11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello

we have a beautiful 3 YO black cat with a white chest. We adopted her  as a kitten. We are military and have orders to move and cannot take her. I have posted so many pics descriptions, etc. locally and have had many responses. She is really relaxed, spayed, shots, rabies and microchipped. Problem is when people come to meet her she  runs and hides, we have tried everything! I am afraid we will never re-home her with that behavior. She is such an easy cat and would make a wonderful addition for someone who understands her anxiety. She has never been abused in any way and does not hiss and act aggressive, she is just a scardy cat! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lived in Jacksonville for years. DH was a tattoo artist a I drove a yellow cab. Have you tried posting on Lejuene yard sales? There are sometimes people that lurk and foster military animals. They don't advertise. You may also find a lady that feeds a feral colony behind Piney Green Shopping Center. She fosters and know others that do until they can find a suitable home. I will see if there is still any I know there, Good Luck on finding a home for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jlbecker11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. Yes I hav. The problem is no one wants a pet that runs and hides. No one seems to understand that its normal and she would eventually warm up in her own time.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They say that cats are good judges of character, so if your kitty has run away from people who've come over to see her, then it sounds like they wouldn't have been a good match for her anyway.  That kind of behavior is completely normal for a cat, and a good match for her would know this already and be patient with her.  Some kitties are very social, but many are not.  I guess you've already asked family if one of them could take her?

jlbecker11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes i have. You are correct and I agree. But, she even hides when she hears the door! We have tried many different things. But, she just needs someone patient and understanding.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are pretty perceptive and she might be picking up on your feelings too.  Mine also hide when the doorbell rings or even if I turn the knob.  There are people out there who love shy kitties.  I do too.  I hope the right person for her comes over soon!

jlbecker11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes i am aware we have moved with her before. The problem is the base housing where we are going does not allow pets. And the few that do will allow a dog not a cat.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's odd. I know some bases ban certain dog breeds but I thought they had to accommodate most pets. Well, I hope you can find someone for her. In my experience, re-homing adult cats is next to impossible :/.

furacious

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat just like this. Totally understand what you are saying. I am from NC with lots of current and past military family. I will post on FB. I will pm you if anyone answers.