Rehoming Cats :(

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
You are absolutely doing the right thing. I’m so sorry you have to rehome them, but I’m sure you would feel so much worse if one of the cats got hurt or sick and you weren’t able to provide medical care - or if you did you would have to go into debt. This is so stressful and is the worst part, but only because they don’t understand that you are giving them a better future. If more cat guardians were like you, we would have very well cared for and well adjusted cats in every home. Sending good vibes for a safe journey :vibes::goodluck:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know of any diy calming products other than the music, try some harp music for them or MusicForCats . com.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are now in the care of the rescue. I feel so bad. They are scared. I hate they had to go through this. I hope they can recover. As for me I will never be the same. My heart has been ripped out.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
They will recover, cats are resilient and they were gently handed off with love to someone that will make this transition as easy as possible with lotsnif love.

Even though they are alive and well, I am sorry for your loss of them. Will you be able to call and check up with the rescue to see how they are doing after they settle in?

:heartshape::heartshape:

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Perhaps you could ask the rescue to give the people chosen to adopt your babies a letter from you. Many years ago when I adopted my Smoocher, I received a letter sent from the rescue shortly after I brought her home. The lady who had loved and cared for her for 7 years, unfortunately, had to go into a nursing home, but she wanted to make sure Smoocher would be happy in her new home. She told me what treats she liked, her favorite cat food and toys, and all her crazy little habits/likes/dislikes that only a devoted "mom" would know. I think writing the letter brought her some comfort and I know it made Smoocher's transition easier for her.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I thought rehome levi and Lillian would solve the bullying. But the others are still picking on the others. Zane was Levi's buddy and can tell he already misses him.
Hopefully things will calm down. But I'm not sure what to do now :/

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you try playing with them and intervening when things get out of hand, right there while you're playing with them? Slapping your hand on the floor, a loud firm no...and a hiss at the perpetrator (s), just like their mama would do.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you try playing with them and intervening when things get out of hand, right there while you're playing with them? Slapping your hand on the floor, a loud firm no...and a hiss at the perpetrator (s), just like their mama would do.
Im not worried about breaking it up. But more that it may continue to happen. Even though levi and Lillian are gone. As they weren't the only bullies :(
They did it some before. i just hope they are taking their place and the stress will still continue.
I feel bad for Zane and he will be even more bored as his buddy levi is gone. Im guessing now they have to figure out who top cat is now, seeing 2 have left. oh the joy of cats

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you stop the behavior each time with hissing and firm No '', it won't continue. You need to "speak" to them in a way that makes sense to them, and that's the hiss.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They are now in the care of the rescue. I feel so bad. They are scared. I hate they had to go through this. I hope they can recover. As for me I will never be the same. My heart has been ripped out.
They WILL adjust, and find wonderful homes. They will be happy. They won't forget you, but they will adjust and move on. That's what they do, they live in the Eternal Now. Your memory will be sweet for them, not sad. Take comfort from that.

As for ongoing problems, that is amost to be expected. Just like adding another cat can cause upheaval in the current population, so can subracting cats. The "order of things" has been changed, and they have to redefine everyone's position and job in the household.

Furballsmom Furballsmom is right. They will understand hissing at them. You are speaking their language, and telling them that certain behaviors are not tolerated. Just like kids, cats need boundaries.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The guilt is killing me. Im trying to move on. But see their little faces everywhere i go. I feel like an old girlfriend who wants to stalk them and know where they are every minute of the day.
I just found out tonight that they moved them to a petsmart to get more publicity. Thats great but hate that there were taken from their home and dont understand. Now they are back to being in a small kennel again. I seriously dont know who its harder on me or them or both. I dont know how to heal from this. How to move on. Id love to go see them. Its almost 2 hours away. But with the snow storm and then i cant bare to leave them again. Im regretting giving them away and wish i had waited until a foster home opened up.
On a good note my other cats are happier. though I know zane misses playing with levi. I feel like i gave my children away and just turned my back on them. Even if they are in the best of care. Do they wonder what happened to me? what they did wrong? do they think like people?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:vibes::redheartpump: :redheartpump: they don't think like people, so they are interested in the new smells, sounds and sights. You gave them a good beginning, so I think you can, and should, be proud of that :)

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That just makes it harder. I just feel I let them down :/ if they are not taken care of properly

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They may find another wonderful person out there where it will be a win-win :) Keep your fingers crossed for that, and good things will often happen :vibes::crossfingers:

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually volunteer for a rescue which keeps cats at a PetSmart. Every Wednesday morning I spend about 4 hours feeding/cleaning and socializing the cats. Volunteers are there at least twice a day and the morning people keep each other up to date via text on each cat. If the set-up there is like ours, I can reassure you that your kitties are well cared for. And this coming weekend is a pet adoption promotion weekend at PetSmart so keep your fingers crossed!