Rehoming Cats :(

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It breaks my heart to rehome any of my cats.
They have all been found in my yard and not something I went out looking for. I always try to find a rescue to take them. But they sometimes are full.
I currently have 9. Mom and kittens taken in 2011, about 4 years later Zane. Then the last 2, 2016.
I love them all have become attached.
The last 2 were being bullies and though it's gotten better they still stress out some of the other cats.
But it's getting expensive. Vet bills are going to get expensive. Food is expensive . I found a good rescue that said they have room for the youngest 2. But its gut wrenching to give them up. I feel they will be scared and feel abandoned. I worry about their future at my home and if I give them up.
So many stories of abuse and just lack of care or good judgment. People complaining about cost. Then going and getting a dog.
How do I'm deal with it? Any advice?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry. I struggle with the adoptions too. It’s very hard. You’ e done a great thing by rescuing and getting them all socialized though. You have gotten them well prepared for a new home.
My preferred way is to adopt out myself because I have more control over who gets them. My kitty Chessie fell in love with someone who came looking. That made it so much better when it came to letting go. I still get updates from all the ones I read homed. That helps so much. I know they are okay and happy. I do suggest you get references and put everything in writing for the adopting person to sign. Including that the cat comes back to you if it doesn’t work out. A talk with their vet too. If the adopting person refuses references, vet talk or signing, tell them they cannot adopt. There are other things I included like address, phone number, the right to go check the home and cat, a required text or email to update me for the first months,( with pictures) etc., what ever makes you most comfortable with the process and protects the cat as well as your right to reclaim if you feel something is amiss. I even made friends do this.
Using a shelter or foster can work well too. Just make sure you check them out very well ahead of time. There should be lots of questions you ask them first.
You do need to do whatever is best for the kitties. If you cannot give them all they need, then finding a good and safe home may take some time and effort but if you do that ,you will rest easier in the long run. Don’t give up. There are ways to get this accomplished without as much worry as you might feel right now. I got photos at Christmas of some of my babies. They looked really happy. It makes all the difference to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The rescue is highly recommended. I was told they even do home checks. So I'm hoping they will be safe and happy. I'm very picky and dont know that I would ever find a home that passes my inspection lol.
But hoping they have someone to play with them. It's just me and dh. At night I just want to sit and the older ones usually sleep and playing wakes them up. But so many things scare me about giving them away and hope they dont get to stressed

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know all your capabilities. There are some vets who will offer discounts, there is pet insurance that pays vet bills very well and there are toys for cats that are motion or battery operated. I know that kitties do get stressed at moving. It might be possible to take them for visits to the shelter first to try and adapt them to the environment while you are with them. If you make the final decision to adopt them out....

I know the feeling. I’ve had to take that leap too but if it helps any, the shelter here I was using has a website and more than once I have been forwarded posts made by the people who adopted my kitties. Not only did they love my kitties, they were thanking the person who had raised them and letting me know how much my kitty had added to their lives. If you know in your heart that you really can’t do everything you feel your cats deserve, then I hope you will feel better just knowing you are doing the right thing for them by getting them into a home that can. I am sending you all the positive feelings and wishes I can.
:vibes::heartshape:

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm worried as dh and I get older. Money get tight. Not being able to afford vet care and good food etc. Plus i want them to have kids to play with them. Dh doesnt do much with them. And I spend most of my time caring for them. Just worry they will get mistreated or not well taken care of

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
These might help, --sorry, the title of the first one is possibly a bit dramatic for your purposes;

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Financial Aid for Pets

I don't have any idea if anything here below would help?

7 Proven Ways To Get Your Cat To Be More Active

How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat

https://heavy-com.cdn.ampproject.or...y.com/pets/2018/10/best-interactive-cat-toys/

Home - the Ripple Rug

Food Puzzles for Cats

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

Also, try some chamomile tea, and music both for you and the cats :) there's classical harp music, there is an app called Relax My Cat, and MusicForCats . com :thumbsup:

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know I will cry. But hoping I can hold it in. As I dont want them to be upset and think something is wrong.
I'm hoping this is harder on me and they will be fine. It's the guilt that is eating me up. Not knowing their future. Not being to help if they are not taken care of. I admit I have trust issue but also know not everyone spoils their cats :/. The adoption fee is high. So I'm hoping that means only serious adopters adopt.
And like I said dont understand they are not being abandoned. We didnt love them. Ya I'm probably overthinking this. Lol
Hope they enjoy this new adventure. Here is the catio at the rescue..

Attachments

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you care so deeply for them - you are making the hard choice knowing that you don’t have the means to be a guardian to so many and so you are responsibly handing them over to an organization that will take very good care of them and will find them wonderful homes.

We adopted Olive because someone else was not so caring. Once she stopped being a cute kitten she was dumped outside and abandoned (twice!). You are doing absolutely the loving thing. Your kitties will of course miss you, but they will be among loving people at every stage. They can’t possibly feel abandoned with such care.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
You are a hero to these helpless beings, and you are doing a very good job.

I understand fully well how you feel. It always is heartbreaking to say goodbye to a rescued cat who has already been attached to you. I have been there many times as well. What I also do is I personally seek out potential adopters, usually very close friends. At least I know their background (if they love animals etc), and also for the purpose of having a chance to visit any of my rehomed cats at anytime. However, since I also cannot stop from rescuing cats off the streets I also am running out of friends as potential adopters. So, the shelter really is the next solution. AT least they have the best chances of going home to warm and loving homes.

Yes, you cannot keep all those cats unless you are really well off and money is no issue (I remind myself the same at most times :) ) My latest adopted cat is from an Indonesian Lady who had 23 cats! She literally begged me to take even one of her cats to help her even a fraction of her costs of bringing them all back home to her country. But I salute people like you and her. It makes me still hang on to the fact that humanity still exists in this present day and age.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds as if you have found an excellent rescue, and one that does home checks! If they are that careful, they will screen, AND there will be an adoption fee involved. Sad to say, but when people shell out money for something, they often value it more. I know your heart is breaking, but if you canNOT afford to keep them and give them all the care they need, then you are doing a most unselfish thing...breaking your own heart for their good. Hugs.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The guilt is setting in. As they play and are happy. They have no idea come this time sunday they will no longer be here

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please try not to dwell on that part. Think further ahead to when they will be happy, safe and in a home where they will add happiness to someone’s life. You are sharing something wonderful with someone else.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please try not to dwell on that part. Think further ahead to when they will be happy, safe and in a home where they will add happiness to someone’s life. You are sharing something wonderful with someone else.
It's hard to look at it that way. I feel like I'm giving my child to strangers. Dropping them off and never looking back. :(

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may not be like that at all. I call the shelter I use often to check on my kitties. I get updates on everything. I did like the suggestion of you having them microchipped yourself. That way you would always be notified if anything ever happened. That might reassure you.
I have adopted out kitties a lot, including my precious resident babies. I know how you feel but see if the shelter will give you notice when they get adopted and see if they have updates from the adopting parents through calls, emails, texts or posts on a website. If they do, ask them to forward them to you so you get to see how excited the new families are. The 6 year old I gave up really worried me but her new Mom texted them to ask for details on everything she likes. What she prefers to eat, does she like a particular toy, her favorite kind of place to relax etc. That helped me so much because it showed she really wanted to make Jazzy happy and to feel at home with her. I even got sent a photo of the family with Jazzy. I always send anything they love with them including a blanket that smells like home. It helps them to feel comfortable with the move. The last young one I sent has just gotten moved in with the others cats in the open room and they tell me she has already got a best friend there. They are about the same age and cuddle and play tigether. They are inseparable. Now i’m hoping that she and her BFF will get adopted together. That happens sometimes and it’s always great! They say my baby has taken over the place! It made me feel like she is in a very good situation and it was a huge relief. I think if you stay in contact as much as possible it will be much easier on you. My heart is right there with you on this.:redheartpump:

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tonight has been hard, when they come and sit on my lap. If they only knew why im doing what im doing. Im feeling like a bad cat mom. If I had tried harder getting them to get along with the other cats. If i had looked for a part time job to help with the expenses. I have an autoimmune disease and with the cats feeding schedule. I have always found it hard to get a job. I have been trying to sell things around the house. We have money in savings, but feared the future. Vet bills can get so expensive. After reading all the things that people have to give and give for their cats with IBD, I wasnt sure what it would cost for shy guy. Still havent figured out why alli still licks himself and need to get a urine sample. If my cats end up like 3 did in 2016. 2 in the same week stopped eating and needed teeth cleaning and tooth removed. As they get older its only going to get worse. If they ever put them on a special diet. Then even with just 2 feedings of canned food. That was 9 cans of FF per day.
Then what if we need a new appliance, or the septic goes out. Our insurance premiums went up again, dh's company has been letting people go because they lost 25% of their business. His position is safe but im sure there will be no raises this year.
They are just so sweet and innocent in all of this. I know whats coming they dont, which breaks my heart. Im just so worry about what they will face in the future. someone who is careless and they get harmed. I know my house wasnt perfect. Im hoping their new home will be even better. i know there are parents who dont blink at spending hundreds of $s for tests. While I have to wait and make sure its my last option. or buy good food dont feed cheap crap.
I dont know if time will heal this wound. caring for them for so long, there are so many things like 4 feedings a day they wont be there. :( Lillian likes to come into my office and cry to come up on my lap. Some nights i found it annoying when i was trying to knit a blanket. But what i wouldnt give to have that forever.
It feels like they will have died. I know i am hurt that they will be someone elses cat. I saved them at 8 weeks of age, syringe fed Lillian when she wouldnt eat on her own. Im worried they will be frightened and scared at night at the shelter. Instead of being able to sleep on our couch, in their tower, with people they love. I hope they get them into a foster home instead.
I know i must sound so emotional on the verge of crazy. But i have never had to rehome a pet. i feel like i failed them.
Thanks for being so supportive and listening to my story!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When a person saves a life, that is not failure.

There is no way to know what the future holds for any of us. It might be harsh, serene, possibly dark, or perhaps sunny.

You can only prepare as well as you are able, hope for the best, and accept that their, and your, futures are going to be whatever they are going to be.