rehoming cats massive guilt

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so got 2 kittens 4 or so months ago... everything has been going good until this week. they've started shedding tremendously, and having asthma I've been unable to breathe the last 4 nights or so even on Claritin and allerflo when trying to sleep. they are in a totally separate room , but despite constantly changing clothes, vacuuming daily, airing out the windows, and having 2 hepa air filters the dander is really just bothering my lungs.

im really unsure what to do. I've been reading threads that say allergies to cats only get worse over time, and even w them short haired it's been a massive issue this week. what should I do?? I can return them to the company I got the cats from who are really good, but I feel such guilt. really wish I hadn't even gotten the cats in the first place now having these issues. very upsetting bc these issues were tolerable for the first 4 months or so but now have become an issue w the shedding and dander.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so got 2 kittens 4 or so months ago... everything has been going good until this week. they've started shedding tremendously, and having asthma I've been unable to breathe the last 4 nights or so even on Claritin and allerflo when trying to sleep. they are in a totally separate room , but despite constantly changing clothes, vacuuming daily, airing out the windows, and having 2 hepa air filters the dander is really just bothering my lungs.

im really unsure what to do. I've been reading threads that say allergies to cats only get worse over time, and even w them short haired it's been a massive issue this week. what should I do?? I can return them to the company I got the cats from who are really good, but I feel such guilt. really wish I hadn't even gotten the cats in the first place now having these issues. very upsetting bc these issues were tolerable for the first 4 months or so but now have become an issue w the shedding and dander.
There are Rx anti-allergens. There is also a new food that purportedly eliminates some percentage of the allergens. It's called Purina ProPlan LiveClear and if you search it, you'll find listings to buy, information etc. Actually, allergies often get better over time or vanish entirely; it's proven that kids raised with cats often build up immunity to allergies to them and are healthier than those without. But if you feel how you do, you shouldn't have cats and if you can return them confident that they will be safe, by all means, do so.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Actually, allergies often get better over time or vanish entirely; it's proven that kids raised with cats often build up immunity to allergies to them and are healthier than those without.
No guarantee, but my husband had a mild allergy to my first cat. The longer he was around him, the less he noticed any issues. We have had two cats since, and I don't think he feels he has any kind of reaction to them at all.

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear this. I have mild cat allergies but they seem to have gotten better for the most part since having my cats. Did you know you were allergic to cats or did you ever spend any time with a friend or family's cat? I'm surprised you never had a reaction until now... It's too bad it's taken this long for the reaction because I'm sure they have gotten used to you and your home but I understand that most allergens/pheromones increase once cats grow to their full size. Are they neutered/spayed? If they are it helps to decrease some of the pheromones. It seems like you've tried just about everything. How bad do you want to keep your kittens? I'm sure you're attached but it's also hard when all you can think about is your health because your suffering so much. My tips: Buy Allerpet (put some on a cloth and rub down your cats - do this about once or twice a week), get grooming wipes (they help with the allergens), if you don't live alone, have someone else brush your cats once a day or at least every other day (this helps control the shedding - it would be best to brush them in a room you don't spend a lot of time since some hair is bound to fly around), and whenever you can, have someone else clean out the litterbox, sweep, and vacuum. Otherwise, talk to your doctor about possible allergy treatments. Have you tried other OTC medications? I've tried them all and found that Allegra liquid gels work the best for me along with Flonase (everyones different). You really have to stick to a routine. Everything else that you've been doing sounds good. The first few months are pretty bad for a lot of people, the body just takes time to adjust. However, everyone has different severities and if you try all of these things and still don't have luck, you may have to consider other options for them. Did you adopt them? I don't know what company you're referring to and how long they have offered when it comes to taking the kittens back. I would try anything you haven't done yet, give it some time and if you still don't have luck, then consider reaching out to the company. Let us know how it works out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are Rx anti-allergens. There is also a new food that purportedly eliminates some percentage of the allergens. It's called Purina ProPlan LiveClear and if you search it, you'll find listings to buy, information etc. Actually, allergies often get better over time or vanish entirely; it's proven that kids raised with cats often build up immunity to allergies to them and are healthier than those without. But if you feel how you do, you shouldn't have cats and if you can return them confident that they will be safe, by all means, do so.
This is the thread that concerns me since it seems very similar to my situation in terms of medication:

Will look into the food you recommended. Also getting Allerpet. Hope to keep trying different combinations for another 2-3 weeks and hopefully this is just a phase (I 100% know it's bc of the shedding).

Took today off without seeing cats while other family members did and my chest felt really clear. Maybe just need a few days off, but I know it's from the dander.

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear this. I have mild cat allergies but they seem to have gotten better for the most part since having my cats. Did you know you were allergic to cats or did you ever spend any time with a friend or family's cat? I'm surprised you never had a reaction until now... It's too bad it's taken this long for the reaction because I'm sure they have gotten used to you and your home but I understand that most allergens/pheromones increase once cats grow to their full size. Are they neutered/spayed? If they are it helps to decrease some of the pheromones. It seems like you've tried just about everything. How bad do you want to keep your kittens? I'm sure you're attached but it's also hard when all you can think about is your health because your suffering so much. My tips: Buy Allerpet (put some on a cloth and rub down your cats - do this about once or twice a week), get grooming wipes (they help with the allergens), if you don't live alone, have someone else brush your cats once a day or at least every other day (this helps control the shedding - it would be best to brush them in a room you don't spend a lot of time since some hair is bound to fly around), and whenever you can, have someone else clean out the litterbox, sweep, and vacuum. Otherwise, talk to your doctor about possible allergy treatments. Have you tried other OTC medications? I've tried them all and found that Allegra liquid gels work the best for me along with Flonase (everyones different). You really have to stick to a routine. Everything else that you've been doing sounds good. The first few months are pretty bad for a lot of people, the body just takes time to adjust. However, everyone has different severities and if you try all of these things and still don't have luck, you may have to consider other options for them. Did you adopt them? I don't know what company you're referring to and how long they have offered when it comes to taking the kittens back. I would try anything you haven't done yet, give it some time and if you still don't have luck, then consider reaching out to the company. Let us know how it works out!
I took care of an indoor/outdoor cat for 11 months since it was a very little kitten without any issues, but I guess the difference was it would be outside most of the day which allowed me to vacuum and clean up the inside of the house. vs the 2 cats now who are strictly living in the house in one contained large room 100% of the time. Unfortunately. that situation ended pretty traumatically too if you look at my past threads.

Yes it is weird I haven't had any major reaction till now. Before when I just did heavy exercise it'd make me a little wheezy, but now it's unfortunate. gotten a point where I'm gasping for air the last 4 out of 5 nights and waking up unable to sleep. It's been really miserable and makes me sad. They are both neutered/sprayed. And yes :( they have gotten very comfortable here being here for 4 months so I'm just really really sad about the whole situation.

Just bought Allerpet and it's coming soon. Also have another family member brushing the cats, unfortunately. it's the same room they live in. But in that room also have 2 HEPA air filters which haven't been helping. I read wood floors are best, but unfortunately. we didn't think of that and don't have those in the room they're in so I fear all the dander is just sticking to the floor despite vacuuming every day.

I use Flonase, but the best is a nebulizer since I have asthma.

Will keep trying, and giving updates. These 2 situations have been so traumatic with cats, I just wish things were easier. :( If this doesn't work out unfortunately don't think I'll be having cats ever again. Just don't think it's meant to be. But still TBD over next 2-3 weeks.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Allergies and asthma are 2 different things, although they often occur together.
Allergies are specific i.e. we talk about a specific allergen. I am unsure you have an allergy to cats. The fact your asthma worsens at the same time with cats shredding is not the same thing to have asthma or allergy attack because of the cat's fur.
So, first is to check whether you really have an allergy to cats. That is specific allergen Fel d1 (most encountered out of 8 in this group) to be checked.

===

I would not start swallowing pills unless this is absolutely necessary and on a medical prescription.

A (somehow cruel, I admit) method is to bathe the cats every 2-3 days, I am not advising on this in long term, but you could give it a try. If the symptoms do not disappear after a couple of baths, then there is a chance that cats have little to do with your problems.

===

As far as I am aware, there is no confirmed "low-allergy" cat breed (although there is some anecdotal evidence). Perhaps the hair-less ones, but I am not sure.

===
As a matter of fact, most people focus on treating asthma and allergies, which is OK.

But not enough. Remember that the metabolism needs a balanced diet and exercise, in order to properly work. So, depending on your age, overall condition, and lifestyle, chances are that you may lack some vitamins or micro-elements. There is also a matter of body weight. If over-weight, lungs (and heart and all the organs in fact) are over-loaded and that worsens all conditions altogether.

So, reviewing the lifestyle, diet, substance consumption, and doing more exercise would help. And even not much impact on the allergy and asthma, the overall health will certainly benefit.

Last edited:

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took care of an indoor/outdoor cat for 11 months since it was a very little kitten without any issues, but I guess the difference was it would be outside most of the day which allowed me to vacuum and clean up the inside of the house. vs the 2 cats now who are strictly living in the house in one contained large room 100% of the time. Unfortunately. that situation ended pretty traumatically too if you look at my past threads.

Yes it is weird I haven't had any major reaction till now. Before when I just did heavy exercise it'd make me a little wheezy, but now it's unfortunate. gotten a point where I'm gasping for air the last 4 out of 5 nights and waking up unable to sleep. It's been really miserable and makes me sad. They are both neutered/sprayed. And yes :( they have gotten very comfortable here being here for 4 months so I'm just really really sad about the whole situation.

Just bought Allerpet and it's coming soon. Also have another family member brushing the cats, unfortunately. it's the same room they live in. But in that room also have 2 HEPA air filters which haven't been helping. I read wood floors are best, but unfortunately. we didn't think of that and don't have those in the room they're in so I fear all the dander is just sticking to the floor despite vacuuming every day.

I use Flonase, but the best is a nebulizer since I have asthma.

Will keep trying, and giving updates. These 2 situations have been so traumatic with cats, I just wish things were easier. :( If this doesn't work out unfortunately don't think I'll be having cats ever again. Just don't think it's meant to be. But still TBD over next 2-3 weeks.
Yes, like you said since your 2 'new' cats are now inside at all times you are getting much more of a reaction vs. when you had an indoor/outdoor cat. Unfortunately your asthma makes this specific situation difficult because its hard to determine if the cats are the main cause or if your asthma could possibly be acting up for other reasons. However, you know your body best and if you think its from the cats shedding then you're probably right. Anything that gets into your lungs will further aggravate them. Like I mentioned before, I would highly recommend talking to your doctor or an allergist to confirm your allergies and to talk more about any possible options you have yet to explore. I am so sorry to hear about your past cat experience. You've been having a rough go but I hope things get better for you. I can tell that you want the best for your cats but you also have to prioritize your health. It sounds like whatever is going on is causing a pretty massive reaction. I saw that you will try the Allerpet that I suggested and a few other methods as well. Hopefully some of these will help to alleviate some of your symptoms. If not then do what is best for your health and don't feel guilty. You love your cats but if you end up having to give them back it will be the best option at that point, as you being miserable will make it hard for everyone in the household, including your cats. Good luck ❤

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Allergies and asthma are 2 different things, although they often occur together.
Allergies are specific i.e. we talk about a specific allergen. I am unsure you have an allergy to cats. The fact your asthma worsens at the same time with cats shredding is not the same thing to have asthma or allergy attack because of the cat's fur.
So, first is to check whether you really have an allergy to cats. That is specific allergen Fel d1 (most encountered out of 8 in this group) to be checked.

===

I would not start swallowing pills unless this is absolutely necessary and on a medical prescription.

A (somehow cruel, I admit) method is to bathe the cats every 2-3 days, I am not advising on this in long term, but you could give it a try. If the symptoms do not disappear after a couple of baths, then there is a chance that cats have little to do with your problems.

===

As far as I am aware, there is no confirmed "low-allergy" cat breed (although there is some anecdotal evidence). Perhaps the hair-less ones, but I am not sure.

===
As a matter of fact, most people focus on treating asthma and allergies, which is OK.

But not enough. Remember that the metabolism needs a balanced diet and exercise, in order to properly work. So, depending on your age, overall condition, and lifestyle, chances are that you may lack some vitamins or micro-elements. There is also a matter of body weight. If over-weight, lungs (and heart and all the organs in fact) are over-loaded and that worsens all conditions altogether.

So, reviewing the lifestyle, diet, substance consumption, and doing more exercise would help. And even not much impact on the allergy and asthma, the overall health will certainly benefit.
I exercise 4 times a week and there has been no other change in my lifestyle other than having the cats and seeing way more fur constantly when I am around them from shedding. Also this is the first time my asthma has acted up in maybe a year or so.

My chest also immediately tightens up when I have Been going into the room each time. Whether it’s the cats or the room itself, something is constantly triggering me and it’s 100% related to them unfor.

Really just focused now on buying all the products to reduce dander and Hope it doesn’t trigger me

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, like you said since your 2 'new' cats are now inside at all times you are getting much more of a reaction vs. when you had an indoor/outdoor cat. Unfortunately your asthma makes this specific situation difficult because its hard to determine if the cats are the main cause or if your asthma could possibly be acting up for other reasons. However, you know your body best and if you think its from the cats shedding then you're probably right. Anything that gets into your lungs will further aggravate them. Like I mentioned before, I would highly recommend talking to your doctor or an allergist to confirm your allergies and to talk more about any possible options you have yet to explore. I am so sorry to hear about your past cat experience. You've been having a rough go but I hope things get better for you. I can tell that you want the best for your cats but you also have to prioritize your health. It sounds like whatever is going on is causing a pretty massive reaction. I saw that you will try the Allerpet that I suggested and a few other methods as well. Hopefully some of these will help to alleviate some of your symptoms. If not then do what is best for your health and don't feel guilty. You love your cats but if you end up having to give them back it will be the best option at that point, as you being miserable will make it hard for everyone in the household, including your cats. Good luck ❤
Thank you very much. I will give updates but for now I’m taking a week or so off from the cats while other family members take care of them to let my chest and throat recover.

Can’t even look at pictures or videos of them right now. Really sad but thank you for the support.