ReHOMING Cats ethically

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi.
No I can't keep them.
ALL options are exhausted.
If you knew what's going on you would understand. No, I'm not going to explain.
They are pure-bred Persians that have special needs.
I'm gullible
HOW do I make sure they go to someone that is going to take care of them?

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get references from their vet, make them sign a contract that allows you to check on them, get text and photo updates for a specified period of time and get a small cash a payment of proof of prepaid service to the vet specifically for that cat. Also a return to you ONLY clause that if things go wrong, the cat is not dumped somewhere you don’t approve. There are more specific contracts out there that you can access. I believe the Coalition for feral cats has one on their site but many groups should have one you can see and use as a template. If any part of the deal is a deal breaker for them, turn them down! I always got a history of pet cate from the vets to know how their previous furry friends were treated. It’s a good way to help check the person out. If the person has never had a cat then you can get the cat vet checks in your name and have a probationary period with a reclaim clause. You can also prepay some vet cate in that cat’s name to be sure the vet care is given , such as immunizations and spay or neuter. These records would need to come to you so you could choose the vet and set this up ahead of time. Just put everything in the contract that concerns you. Good luck to you and all those precious kitties! Thanks for taking time to be sure they are loved.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We adopted a pair of Tonkinese kitties a few months ago, that have special needs (although we weren’t exactly TOLD they had special needs).
The foster family enlisted the help of a shelter. The shelter listed the cats on PetFinder. We applied and went through the background check. They listed their list of requirements (must have no other pets, but must have experience with cats, and must be willing to adopt both cats). We fit the bill, I used to work for a vet and grew up with cats. Currently we had no other pets and were willing to keep the sisters together. Then we went to the foster family’s home and met the cats. We all fell in love, The foster family felt we were the right family. I am pleased to report we are all very happy, my human family and our kitties.
That being said, be SURE you disclose their special needs. We were kind of blindsided, but we thankfully found an excellent vet and we have the time and resources to deal with their needs. Our kitties were abandoned before we adopted them, because their previous owners felt overwhelmed. So just make sure the people who adopt your cats are aware of their needs, so hopefully they will not have to be rehomed again. Thank you for doing your best to do what’s best for your cats 💕

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Get references from their vet, make them sign a contract that allows you to check on them, get text and photo updates for a specified period of time and get a small cash a payment of proof of prepaid service to the vet specifically for that cat. Also a return to you ONLY clause that if things go wrong, the cat is not dumped somewhere you don’t approve. There are more specific contracts out there that you can access. I believe the Coalition for feral cats has one on their site but many groups should have one you can see and use as a template. If any part of the deal is a deal breaker for them, turn them down! I always got a history of pet cate from the vets to know how their previous furry friends were treated. It’s a good way to help check the person out. If the person has never had a cat then you can get the cat vet checks in your name and have a probationary period with a reclaim clause. You can also prepay some vet cate in that cat’s name to be sure the vet care is given , such as immunizations and spay or neuter. These records would need to come to you so you could choose the vet and set this up ahead of time. Just put everything in the contract that concerns you. Good luck to you and all those precious kitties! Thanks for taking time to be sure they are loved.
Yes, I forgot about that part but that’s a good point. I had to agree that I would return them to their foster family if I couldn’t keep them. They didn’t require me to send pictures, but I do, and the foster family loves getting the updates.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi.
No I can't keep them.
ALL options are exhausted.
If you knew what's going on you would understand. No, I'm not going to explain.
They are pure-bred Persians that have special needs.
I'm gullible
HOW do I make sure they go to someone that is going to take care of them?
What are their special needs?

Also, go to Adopt a Pet and you can post them on there and screen the people.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I believe you got good advice, I just wanted to come on and say I'm sorry to hear you have to rehome them.

I understand, it's always a last resort. You're amazing for making sure you know they get to good homes, though <3

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are purebred cat rescues that would likely take them in, vet them, and make sure the new homes are screened and qualified if you need assistance. Good luck to you and your kitties.