Rehomed cat started defecating on couch

karinab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

Hoping someone might be able to assist with some suggestions here.

About a month ago my husband and I adopted 2 female Ragdoll cats (sisters), Maisy and Lexi, who are 15 months old.  Up until the time we adopted them, they were both really good at using their litter boxes.

After we rehomed them, we kept them in the sunroom in the back of the house to allow them to settle in.  We have been gradually letting them out of the sunroom into the rest of the house.

The problem is that one of the cats (Maisy) has started defacating on the lounges.  She has done it 3 times now in the main area of the house and tonight she actually did it again, but this time on the lounge in "their" sunroom (because we watch them so closely in the house now we were quite surprised to see her do it in her own living quarters).  Thankfully Lexi has never done this.

I know the move has been quite stressful for them, especially Maisy.  The home where they came from was significantly different to ours.  Previously they lived in a very small apartment with  a young, working couple (no kids) who pampered them a lot.  They were very closely bonded to that couple.  In contrast we have a large house AND a 6 month old baby and I am home a lot during the day because I am currently on maternity leave.  I also spend as much time as I can with the cats however they are probably not "molly-coddled" to the same degree as they were with their last owners, because I have a young baby to care for first!

I am guessing that the reason why Maisy is doing this is stress?  Should I just lock them back up in the sunroom again for another week or so if this happens (this stresses Lexi out a bit as she loves coming out into the house but I feel like I have to keep these 2 cats together as they have never been apart before).

Wondering if anyone could offer any thoughts on this and suggestions on how to deal with it to try and get her back on track with using her litter tray?

Thanks in advance!!

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How wonderful that they found a new  home with you.  I think Ragdolls are so beautiful.

Here are a few thoughts....

* The first thing to consider is how clean the litterboxes are kept.  Cats can be very finicky about using boxes if they have to step in deposits.  We scoop twice per day to keep things tidy.

*  Also, I'd have at least two boxes in your situation.  The "rule of thumb" is one box per cat, some recommend one per cat plus one more.

*  Be sure to clean the spots where she has pooped with an enzyme cleaner like Natures Miracle.  If she can smell it at all she will be encouraged to do it there again.  (They can smell things we can't but the enzyme cleaner helps.)

*  There is a litter called Cat Attract that can attract cats to the box.  Some just sprinkle some on top.

*  Is the litterbox covered?  Some greatly prefer uncovered.  Is the litter the same they were using at their former home?  Some cats also greatly prefer unscented litter.

*  Is she declawed?  Sometimes declawed cats need special soft litter because regular litter hurts their paws.

*  Most importantly, I'd take her to the vet just to rule out any health problems.  (Be sure to tell the vet about the poop problem.)  I'd have him check her anal glands.  If something is hurting her, she will associate the pain with the box and try going elsewhere.

Hopefully others will have good ideas.  Good luck.

Last edited:

fluffynut

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
May I respectfully suggest that the problem may be STRESS or he is LONELY, or both Stress and lonely.

Are you at work a day, home at night just wanting to kick back and relax?  It is possible your new bubby is trying to attract your attention.

Why not keep a daily diary - write down every occurrence for the next two (2) weeks, then ring your favourite vet and speak to him/her about the problem.

Do NOT get angry, do NOT yell and punish.  That will only make everything worse for both of you.
Try to understand that your new bubby is having a problem that he cannot control. It may even be the food you are feeding - a good vet will give you guidance on this as well. Perhaps his little body cannot tolerate the food you are giving him, and it makes him 'go' before he can get to the litter tray.

If in Victoria, please ring the RSPCA and ask them - they are so very helpful and knowledgeable.

It could all be equated to a stressed child wetting the bed.  Do not panic yet, it is likely something as simple as spending more Quality Time together and introducing some fun, active games you can play together.

Recently, I altered my cat's food, and had exactly the same problem - not the couch but the hall carpet.  So, it is my fault, and I have amended my ways with success.

Good Luck and do not give up.

A pet is for life - theirs.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi & Welcome to TCS! :wavey: Congrats on all three new additions - both two legged and four legged! :heart3: :heart3: :heart3:

Is she actually pooping on the lounges, or is she leaving a turd or two (what I call "cling-ons")?

Where are the litterboxes located? Is is possible in the instances of the 'out of the box' moments that she felt she was unable to safely get to the cat box?

Are you using the same litter as the previous owners? How many cat boxes do you have?

Sorry for so many questions, but hopefully more information can help us come up with a solution to your problem. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karinab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone for your support and suggestions!!  You are most kind!  No, the cats are not declawed and the litter trays are not covered.  I am using the same food and litter as the previous owners and have located the litter trays in a corner of the room where they are housed. It is quiet and private.  White cat lover, she is actually doing real poos on the lounges and I suspect she knows she's not allowed to because she has run away and looked guilty when I have discovered them.  Also, she did the one in the back room when we weren't looking - we supervised her closely in the main house after the first 3 incidents but never thoughyt she would actually do it in the room where she lives!  Then, since I posted this she did another poo just next to the box on the floor of "their" overnight on that same night.

However what I have done however since reading these replies is increased the number of boxes from one to two.  Previously, their old owners had them sharing the one box and they did that fine but I am starting to wonder whether Maisy has now developed an aversion to sharing, maybe because she is starting to feel competitive with Lexi in this new environment?!  Anyway in the day or so since I have done that Maisy has started using the second box and there have been no more incidents (so far!).  However, that said, I have not let them out of that back room again and think I will leave it like that until a week has passed then give them short stints inside and under supervision.  Lexi is still continuing to use the first box without any problems, I think Lexi has settled in really well and it is poor Maisy who is feeling distressed still...

Fluffynut, it could well be stress and maybe a bit of lonliness, although I suspect more of the former b/c their previous owners used to work all day and so just be home at night whereas I am at home most days and go and visit them as often as I can.  That in itself is obviously a big change for them.  They are also still very wary of my baby daughter, I don't think they really understand what a baby is just yet.  I also think that because Maisy was so attached to her former owners she probably feels quite hurt at being given away.  Maybe that is also why she could be doing this.  Not sure, I am not a cat behaviourist and so this is all speculation here!

I will monitor things over the next few days and if she stops using the second box then I will definitely take her to the vet.  Thanks again, will let you know how things go! :)