Rehome or is this fixable?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Katanya Katanya those 5 kittens had each other. He's all alone in there. Thats why hes more problems.

Re:neutering it can take 6 to 8 weeks for his hormones to wear out and then itbshould be lower.

He's constantly bugging for your attention, by your account so I very urgently caution you to not make him be a barn cat sonewhere. He needs human attention.

A home where they want a more dog-like cat where they take him on walks and clicker training him would be very suitable for him.

I speak from experience as what you are describing is my Magnus. He wakes me at that time and there's no going back to bed. I have to walk him daily on a harness plus have play sessions with him. In the spring his vaccines were late and it was a month of sleep deprivation because he couldn't go outside. Hes also very vocal and when he was shut in the room for his first 6 months he would cry and bang the door after feeding him. I had to go lay in there with him instead and maybe get an extra hour or two of sleep.

He lives with two other cats happily and it was, like I said a long introduction period but with the right enrichment its no problem. Even our cat sitter who stayed with him 4 days had no issues because of the routine.

So as long as its someone who has the space and time to separate them from resident cats long term, it should be no issue.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I really do hope you let S silent meowlook help you.
What youre describing is stress behaviour in him, even the peeing. Siamese mixes are social.

I'm truly honest with you when i say that Magnus will do increasingly dangerous behaviours to get what he wants. He broke two babylocks in one morning to get me out of bed. He screamed for 8 hours once when we didn't walk him outside. It was like living with a colicky toddler while we figured him out.

We have a small townhome with shared greenspace where we walk him.

I believe you want what's best for him and want him to have a home who suits him. That's all SilentMeowlook wants too but it seems you two are having a communication breakdown when really youre on the same team.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katanya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I find that engaging in extensive play helps before bed time to settle energetic cats and have them sleep thru the night. One of my cats is the most energetic cat you will ever find. She was a kitten and she is as a 7 year old (She used to have zoomies at 3am every night, which is their nature as cats are crepuscular, but it affects our sleep). I play with her every night and then after the is all done, I give her a meal. That is lights out for her and she sleeps thru the night. If I miss a day and don't play with her, for any reason, she resorts to throwing things off at night and just raises hell.

So, you can try that to see if it helps and if doing so is letting you get a good nights sleep.

Btw, some cats are also entertained by laser pointer. But since its not tangible, it can make the cat very frustrated.
I have been playing with him every night as you mention, then feed him, but he only rests for 3-4 hours at most, which wakes me up in the middle of sleep every night since he’s been here, so I’m completely sleep deprived. I did find a toy he liked today but it only made him more hyper. It’s a ball on a track wheel.

Katanya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Katanya Katanya those 5 kittens had each other. He's all alone in there. Thats why hes more problems.

Re:neutering it can take 6 to 8 weeks for his hormones to wear out and then itbshould be lower.

He's constantly bugging for your attention, by your account so I very urgently caution you to not make him be a barn cat sonewhere. He needs human attention.

A home where they want a more dog-like cat where they take him on walks and clicker training him would be very suitable for him.

I speak from experience as what you are describing is my Magnus. He wakes me at that time and there's no going back to bed. I have to walk him daily on a harness plus have play sessions with him. In the spring his vaccines were late and it was a month of sleep deprivation because he couldn't go outside. Hes also very vocal and when he was shut in the room for his first 6 months he would cry and bang the door after feeding him. I had to go lay in there with him instead and maybe get an extra hour or two of sleep.

He lives with two other cats happily and it was, like I said a long introduction period but with the right enrichment its no problem. Even our cat sitter who stayed with him 4 days had no issues because of the routine.

So as long as its someone who has the space and time to separate them from resident cats long term, it should be no issue.
I wouldn’t mind going for walks at a reasonable time, but I’m definitely not a morning person, so this has made my nerves shot from sleep deprivation for 3 weeks and even when I’m up he takes up most of the energy in my day. Even for a dog thats a bit much.

He doesn’t like being picked up much, he’ll stay close to me and cry for me, but the minute he gets out into my full discs, he doesn’t pay attention to any cats, he zoomies indefinitely and then charges at both of my cats, at which point I put him back in his room. My girl cat is interested in him, she goes to his room and wants to go in. It doesn’t matter if I let her in or let him out into her space, it’s not at first, it’s after he’s played for 5-10 min, he then goes after her relentlessly and she doesn’t like it. He is even quicker to swat at my boy. I don’t know if he thinks it funny, but they’re very chill, laid back goofy cats. New guy comes on with a lot of force, high energy and unpredictability to them. Their eyeballs are often left like big black holes after new guy has been around them. They look at me like “why?”

He was let out a few times today so I didn’t keep him in his room all day. But he will quickly then expect that to be the norm. Every time the end result was him going after my resident cats. I can’t yet let him out while I’m sleeping around my other cats, bc he preys on them for play. I will look for a rescue/home for him that has space. Perhaps once that person works with him and he is more confident, they can bring another cat in. I’m trying to make this work in every way I know how, but even when he breaks free he’s messing with everything nonstop. That’s after diverting him to specific toys which work, but only for a short time.

I do understand why even with toys he doesn’t want yo be in a room so I’ve been letting him out more, but he’s an aggressive play cat. And both my cats aren’t.

Katanya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really do hope you let S silent meowlook help you.
What youre describing is stress behaviour in him, even the peeing. Siamese mixes are social.

I'm truly honest with you when i say that Magnus will do increasingly dangerous behaviours to get what he wants. He broke two babylocks in one morning to get me out of bed. He screamed for 8 hours once when we didn't walk him outside. It was like living with a colicky toddler while we figured him out.

We have a small townhome with shared greenspace where we walk him.

I believe you want what's best for him and want him to have a home who suits him. That's all SilentMeowlook wants too but it seems you two are having a communication breakdown when really youre on the same team.
I do appreciate you sharing your situation. I want to take him on walks and was trying to do it without a harness bc the cat I had for 20 years used to be able to do that with me and I’ve trained 2 other cats to do that too. But I suppose I can try a harness at this point and see if he feels more secure. I have a ton of green and neighborhood around, but it’s getting him out. If I can do that, maybe his personality would change a bit. I can’t deal with a petulant child as a cat though.

I’ve had 3 dog-like cats in the past, but they had more pleasant personalities. Maybe walks would make him relax but I have my doubts.

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopted my Cosette on February 3 and we're still working to integrate her. Three weeks of no sleep can feel like an eternity, but for cats it's nothing. The two week introduction is the minimum for healthy cats in an optimal situation.

Looks like I'm the minority here, but I'd suggest you go ahead and rehome. No sense in making three cats unhappy. If he finds a better place to thrive, he'll quickly forget you, and this whole episode will be gone like a bad dream. He's not an outdoor cat. He's a smart cat who wants to be the center of attention.

Don't be quick to replace him with a kitten. Alldara is right that kittens are not always the meek compliant babies you're hoping for. Many people have stories of bringing a tornado into their home when they adopted an energetic kitten.

Katanya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted my Cosette on February 3 and we're still working to integrate her. Three weeks of no sleep can feel like an eternity, but for cats it's nothing. The two week introduction is the minimum for healthy cats in an optimal situation.

Looks like I'm the minority here, but I'd suggest you go ahead and rehome. No sense in making three cats unhappy. If he finds a better place to thrive, he'll quickly forget you, and this whole episode will be gone like a bad dream. He's not an outdoor cat. He's a smart cat who wants to be the center of attention.

Don't be quick to replace him with a kitten. Alldara is right that kittens are not always the meek compliant babies you're hoping for. Many people have stories of bringing a tornado into their home when they adopted an energetic kitten.
That’s something I’ve thought about too, is if he’s in the right home, he will love it and it won’t be hard to integrate. My other cats are the center of my attention, though I’d integrate him just like them, but he seems to want the center of attention at the expense of my cats. I’m not sure that dynamic ever ends. Or if it does, there’s perhaps an agree to disagree vibe. Between last night and this morning, he’s managed to climb to the top of my tall bookshelf and knock down my softball trophy twice. It’s large, so when it falls, it’s extremely loud. At 5:36 am, it starts getting taxing and burdensome. Bc this is the constant behavior.

The alternative...If I let him out all the time, I’d have to risk constant standoffs for him to be out. That becomes maybe fun for him to prey on them as a game, but my cats just want to have innocent fun with him and he goes turbo on them. They have been interested in him, but after an initial smell of each other, it’s only a couple of minutes before he goes turbo on 1 or both of them. If he runs to an area where my cats are, he will go into that mode I guess to claim the space as his. He is definitely an extrovert cat. I have 1 extrovert (tuxie girl) and 1 introvert (full lilac point Siamese boy), but the new cat is an only child type extrovert. Or if a cat is happy being more in the background and needs less of your attention this cat would likely do ok with that. My Siamese boy needs my attention often as well and so this has stressed his uri to the point where he has a little congestion breathing. He tends to stay back from the new cat, but once my girl was curious about new cat all the time, he went over to greet him. New boy immediately went to paw at his head 😏

So maybe if he was paired with another cat like him he’d do well. Bc my 2 were interested in him until he kept chasing them and making them go into defense mode. I’ve let them sort it out a number of times, haven’t stepped in etc. and it still happens. Which makes me eventually have to step in.

It’d be a minute til I adopt again and if I do it would be a kitten/cat with a much more low key, friendly to other cats temperament. I’m bummed about this cat. He is very smart, he can be sweet, he’s cute and funny, but he also uses his intelligence to cause a bit of chaos at times unnecessarily. I do wonder if just taking him for walks would make him stop charging at my cats, but if it’s inside territory and attention dominance over and above my cats he’s seeking at a rapid, instant, do what I want now or else I’ll throw tantrums style pace, it has made it difficult for me to integrate him with my cats in the way I’d hoped. Even overcoming my own mental plan of what I thought would happen, he is demanding in a way where I basically have to spend the majority of my time with him. My cats end up meowing looking for me after 20- 30 minutes with him. Of course that makes me feel bad, and when I try to go out to spend time with them, new boy will immediately start meowing, banging, causing trouble. If he would just let me go out to check on them for 1 second, this would be more tolerable. If he would let me sleep a normal sleep schedule after 3 weeks, this would be tolerable. But even when I let him out he’d demand food at 5 am. My cats go nuts at dusk and dawn. It’s not like I’m not used to that. But, they do their thing, then come join me on the bed and sleep with me until I get up, then I feed them first thing. It’s still early, anywhere from 8-10 am. They don’t start ruining things (which he’s done even when I’ve let him out) if I don’t get up to feed them before I wake. So this is a bit more demanding, intense and complicating vs enhancing then I’d like. I’ve tried to focus on best scenario. Them loving each other. My cats play along, but new boy will for only so long, which frustrates me that he doesn’t realize he’s safe and will still be loved and given tons of attention, regardless of the order he came into my home. But being a territory species, that drive comes out strongly in him. Whereas my cats already know it’s safe.

I am going to look around for him while trying to walk him in the meantime, but my gut feels that my cats would have to be subservient to him in order for this to work and neither is willing to do that. If nothing changes fast, I’m on the side of rehoming as well.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Katanya Katanya I understand. It's honestly the difficulty that many people have with long introductions when the cat is social and active. A small room long term doesn't cut it and then by the time they get out they are hyper, pent up and bouncing off the walls. He probably really doesn't want to be picked up at that point. Magnus likes being held but he won't tolerate a second of it if he's been shut up in a room due to a maintenance worker coming by. This cat can run for hours and still be too hyper to let us sleep on those days.

I have some friends on the other side of the US. I asked if they know anyone in your area who is looking for this kind of cat. If yes, I'll give you an email by PM and you can screen them.

Your own want and will to work with the cat is certainly the most important consideration.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're right, it shouldn't come at the expense of your other cats. I 100% agree with that.
My concern only was about his type of personality becoming an outdoor farm cat, when he's so social and could be a good fit for another home.
Having grown up on a farm, smart, troublesome cats do not last long outside. Smart relaxed cats yes...but not troublesome social ones.

Katanya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Katanya Katanya I understand. It's honestly the difficulty that many people have with long introductions when the cat is social and active. A small room long term doesn't cut it and then by the time they get out they are hyper, pent up and bouncing off the walls. He probably really doesn't want to be picked up at that point. Magnus likes being held but he won't tolerate a second of it if he's been shut up in a room due to a maintenance worker coming by. This cat can run for hours and still be too hyper to let us sleep on those days.

I have some friends on the other side of the US. I asked if they know anyone in your area who is looking for this kind of cat. If yes, I'll give you an email by PM and you can screen them.

Your own want and will to work with the cat is certainly the most important consideration.
I appreciate if you do that. I’ll still try to work with him but his energy level isn’t the greatest fit and it’s not feasible for me to wake up everyday at 5 am, again at 9 am. Basically every 3 hours or so, he needs to be interacted with. He could easily play for 8 hours straight, no problem. As it is I don’t go to bed until 1-2 am, so at this point, I could use a week of sleep after 21 days of this everyday back and forth. I can absolutely appreciate that some can work with this kind of energy, but it is too much for me with my normal work schedule and dealing with what I have to at home. The irony is when I first met him, he didn’t come off this energetic. You think he would be crazier being that he was trapped in a cage at the shelter. I will try walking him today and see if it dissipates his energy at all or towards my cats. But it’s prob still best if he’s rehomed.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The stress of the shelter uses up a LOT of their energy and they dont get to sleep well with all the movement and noise. What sleep they do get is not as restful as in our quieter homes later.

He came from overcrowding so your home is probably the BEST sleep hes ever had and hes feeling super refreshed and energetic.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My concern only was about his type of personality becoming an outdoor farm cat, when he's so social and could be a good fit for another home.
I own a Siamese flame point young boy who was very challenging. He exhibited many of the characteristics that you have described and I can certainly empathize with you. It took quite a while for him to adapt to the other cats in the house and, while he has made massive progress, we still have to watch his behavior.

It would be for the best if you could find a home for this boy and avoid the barn cat scenario if it is entirely beyond the possibility of keeping him. His breed is too sociable and too bonded to humans, and there is a much less pleasant side to barn cat existence that many people don't consider. It is often a job done by semi-ferals or ferals who cannot live with humans and are at least better off with something than nothing. There is a huge protocol for doing this the right way, including confining the newly employed cat for at least 3 or 4 weeks so that they understand that the barn is their home, providing regular meals and not expecting rodent control to satisfy nutritional needs, bringing them in at night especially in an area where there are coyotes. (I lost one of my TNRed unsocialized/undomesticated ferals two weeks ago to a coyote who killed him in my back yard.) Pesticides should not be used on the property. The criteria that a local humane society uses for their barn cat program is that it is a cat who would not "flourish in a home environment."

Katanya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I own a Siamese flame point young boy who was very challenging. He exhibited many of the characteristics that you have described and I can certainly empathize with you. It took quite a while for him to adapt to the other cats in the house and, while he has made massive progress, we still have to watch his behavior.

It would be for the best if you could find a home for this boy and avoid the barn cat scenario if it is entirely beyond the possibility of keeping him. His breed is too sociable and too bonded to humans, and there is a much less pleasant side to barn cat existence that many people don't consider. It is often a job done by semi-ferals or ferals who cannot live with humans and are at least better off with something than nothing. There is a huge protocol for doing this the right way, including confining the newly employed cat for at least 3 or 4 weeks so that they understand that the barn is their home, providing regular meals and not expecting rodent control to satisfy nutritional needs, bringing them in at night especially in an area where there are coyotes. (I lost one of my TNRed unsocialized/undomesticated ferals two weeks ago to a coyote who killed him in my back yard.) Pesticides should not be used on the property. The criteria that a local humane society uses for their barn cat program is that it is a cat who would not "flourish in a home environment."

I’m sorry to hear you lost one of your ferals. The only reason I thought of a barn program is bc he needs a lot of exercise and stimulation and he came from the streets. He was in a pack. I think him being neutered so late in the game traumatized him for a second too. I adopted him a week after they neutered him bc he was returned from another adopter who returned him bc he didn’t get along with his dog.

I will find him a rescue or regular home that can take him but with a warning, so he doesn’t go through this again.
I can’t put my lilac point boy through constant attacks from the new cat indefinitely not knowing when he will strike and a new home shouldn’t be putting other cats through the same. Bc when he starts chasing, he gets OCD on what he’s focused on. So he will chase my cats indefinitely until he physically catches them. And they don’t understand that bc that’s not how they’ve played in their life. They don’t play to kill each other, they just play to play. Sometimes it gets aggressive and funny but not to the level new boy takes it. Since he goes to that level, he leaves me feeling extremely not confident in being able to ever train him to stop. And I’m not willing to put my cats through 1-3 years of indefinite battering just to socialize him. I never thought in a million years his personality would be this difficult, but, it is what it is.

When I 1st adopted my lilac point boy from a shelter 3 hours south of me, and brought him home, he’d hide bc he’s introverted. It took a little over a year to get him to fully trust me, come out of his shell and stop hiding. He was a bit feral at 4 months and unsocialized. Now he’s just the biggest gentle giant love bug you ever met. The girl who was across the cage from him in medical was very hyper when I brought her home bc she was only 3 months old. All this I can work with. I’ve had cats since I was 7 years old and I’ve fostered 3 different litters, so I thought this would be doable. I’d love to think walking him consistently would stop the attacking behavior but practicality days it likely would still happen. I’m willing to try the walking and see the effects. But if it doesn’t do much, it will give me prices of elimination and be easier for me to know I’m doing that right thing by rehoming.

I know some think I’m mean, but it’s a catch 22, bc I have to take into account the feelings of my resident cats and I’m sure no one is super happy right now. My friend in TN just adopted a 4th cat who plays aggressive and swiped the one good eye her older girl had that now may need to be removed. Apparently they like each other like my cats like the new boy, but her new girl only knows to play super hard and aggressive too, so she warned me not to let a similar scenario happen to my cats. I am coming from the place of doing the right thing, and I know cats play aggressive at times, but I don’t know if a cat with a personality that plays like this ever really changes bc it’s inherent to them. I can’t force new boy to be something he’s not. That’s also not fair to him. I don’t have a good feeling no matter what I do right now, so I may as well find him a home he’d be happier in where he can take over to his delight and be the only cat. Im honestly not sure how to integrate him at this point. It seems like it would be indefinitely separating them that would be the only fix. And I’m not sure that works for new boy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Without going into details, we have surmised that my boy who was about a year when I took him in, also unneutered, was dumped from his previous owner or a breeder. The story has changed and remained murky and frankly doesn't change anything. He had what we called his "Here's Johnny!" moments where he turned into Jack Nicholson, almost like a zone that he went into. We have worked through most of it and he is extremely bonded to me which is characteristic of the breed type to pick a favorite person. However, all of this did take time.

If you have any social media like nextdoor.com you might see if you can find a home for him as long as you qualify who would be suitable and eliminate all of those who scroll looking for a cute cat or are inexperienced with cats in general or a cat who needs a certain type of environment, such as only cat. Since you have provided care for him, it would be best to ask for some compensation which will also discourage anyone who is untrustworthy or unable to provide basic care for him. If you can find a local rescue to help, you might offer then something for his upkeep and ask that they stay in touch with you as to his ongoing search for a home. This does not mean that you want him back, but that you are establishing some checkpoints for his own well being.

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear you lost one of your ferals. The only reason I thought of a barn program is bc he needs a lot of exercise and stimulation and he came from the streets. He was in a pack. I think him being neutered so late in the game traumatized him for a second too. I adopted him a week after they neutered him bc he was returned from another adopter who returned him bc he didn’t get along with his dog.

I will find him a rescue or regular home that can take him but with a warning, so he doesn’t go through this again.
I can’t put my lilac point boy through constant attacks from the new cat indefinitely not knowing when he will strike and a new home shouldn’t be putting other cats through the same. Bc when he starts chasing, he gets OCD on what he’s focused on. So he will chase my cats indefinitely until he physically catches them. And they don’t understand that bc that’s not how they’ve played in their life. They don’t play to kill each other, they just play to play. Sometimes it gets aggressive and funny but not to the level new boy takes it. Since he goes to that level, he leaves me feeling extremely not confident in being able to ever train him to stop. And I’m not willing to put my cats through 1-3 years of indefinite battering just to socialize him. I never thought in a million years his personality would be this difficult, but, it is what it is.

When I 1st adopted my lilac point boy from a shelter 3 hours south of me, and brought him home, he’d hide bc he’s introverted. It took a little over a year to get him to fully trust me, come out of his shell and stop hiding. He was a bit feral at 4 months and unsocialized. Now he’s just the biggest gentle giant love bug you ever met. The girl who was across the cage from him in medical was very hyper when I brought her home bc she was only 3 months old. All this I can work with. I’ve had cats since I was 7 years old and I’ve fostered 3 different litters, so I thought this would be doable. I’d love to think walking him consistently would stop the attacking behavior but practicality days it likely would still happen. I’m willing to try the walking and see the effects. But if it doesn’t do much, it will give me prices of elimination and be easier for me to know I’m doing that right thing by rehoming.

I know some think I’m mean, but it’s a catch 22, bc I have to take into account the feelings of my resident cats and I’m sure no one is super happy right now. My friend in TN just adopted a 4th cat who plays aggressive and swiped the one good eye her older girl had that now may need to be removed. Apparently they like each other like my cats like the new boy, but her new girl only knows to play super hard and aggressive too, so she warned me not to let a similar scenario happen to my cats. I am coming from the place of doing the right thing, and I know cats play aggressive at times, but I don’t know if a cat with a personality that plays like this ever really changes bc it’s inherent to them. I can’t force new boy to be something he’s not. That’s also not fair to him. I don’t have a good feeling no matter what I do right now, so I may as well find him a home he’d be happier in where he can take over to his delight and be the only cat. Im honestly not sure how to integrate him at this point. It seems like it would be indefinitely separating them that would be the only fix. And I’m not sure that works for new boy.
Based on my limited understanding and experience with cats, I would say what behaviour you are describing is attention seeking behaviour that he is displaying. Its fine that you've decided to rehome him, integrating cats takes time and its very stressful for everyone involved. So that's completely all right.

I may be wrong, and I hope you do reconsider this (sorry if I missed a post where this has already been discussed), but he doesn't seem like an outdoor cat. He would do very well indoors and bond quite nicely with someone who can match his energy levels. I would also say that he doesn't seem like he would do well in a single cat household, he may get bored and depressed and destructive, if he doesn't have company. So I think a home that has a teenager or even a kitten that would match his energy would be great. With a human that can equally match his energy in terms of play.

Katanya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Based on my limited understanding and experience with cats, I would say what behaviour you are describing is attention seeking behaviour that he is displaying. Its fine that you've decided to rehome him, integrating cats takes time and its very stressful for everyone involved. So that's completely all right.

I may be wrong, and I hope you do reconsider this (sorry if I missed a post where this has already been discussed), but he doesn't seem like an outdoor cat. He would do very well indoors and bond quite nicely with someone who can match his energy levels. I would also say that he doesn't seem like he would do well in a single cat household, he may get bored and depressed and destructive, if he doesn't have company. So I think a home that has a teenager or even a kitten that would match his energy would be great. With a human that can equally match his energy in terms of play.
It is attention seeking but it is EXTREME attention seeking at the expense of my other cats. It’s so bad he wouldn’t even let me go to the bathroom this morning without throwing a tantrum and I don’t like letting him into the bathroom bc he tries to climb all over me and the toilet, which is unsanitary. He’ll try to do that right after he gets out of his litter box sometimes too. Yesterday, I had to clean his room up so I put him in the bathroom for maybe 2 minutes. He improperly peed all over a bag that I had his pooper scooper in. That’s now the 3rd time he’s done that. He knows exactly what he’s doing, he’s not dumb by any means. But enough is enough. I did mention I would find a regular home for him but new adopters should know what they’re getting into.

My girl cat will be mad bc she likes going up to his door but when I let them around each other, he then ends up beating her up and she comes back for it. I don’t get it. My boy could give or take him.

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is attention seeking but it is EXTREME attention seeking at the expense of my other cats. It’s so bad he wouldn’t even let me go to the bathroom this morning without throwing a tantrum and I don’t like letting him into the bathroom bc he tries to climb all over me and the toilet, which is unsanitary. He’ll try to do that right after he gets out of his litter box sometimes too. Yesterday, I had to clean his room up so I put him in the bathroom for maybe 2 minutes. He improperly peed all over a bag that I had his pooper scooper in. That’s now the 3rd time he’s done that. He knows exactly what he’s doing, he’s not dumb by any means. But enough is enough. I did mention I would find a regular home for him but new adopters should know what they’re getting into.

My girl cat will be mad bc she likes going up to his door but when I let them around each other, he then ends up beating her up and she comes back for it. I don’t get it. My boy could give or take him.
Well, at best, the smartest cat will have the mind of a 2 year old human child. We cannot attribute to them that they are doing anything purposely or with the sole intention of irritating us. Cats don't work like that. If he doesn't have any bladder issues, then this peeing that you are describing is most likely because he is feeling very insecure. He may even be scared becasue of the rapid changes happening around him.

I know that you have decided to rehome him and I hope that you find a well matched home for him. But in the mean time, I would urge you not to assign human thought patterns to him. Cats don't think like humans do. And while they do exhibit attention seeking behaviour, it is more out of love than malice or any other negative emotion. And yes, some cats like him can be a handful. That's just how it is. Just because one of my cats loves to cuddle doesn't mean the other one will too. They all have their personalities and traits and whatnot. So I will urge you to step back and say to yourself, he only has the intelligence of a 2 year old human. This will help reduce your stress in the time that he is in your home. It will also reduce your frustrations with his behaviour.

Katanya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, at best, the smartest cat will have the mind of a 2 year old human child. We cannot attribute to them that they are doing anything purposely or with the sole intention of irritating us. Cats don't work like that. If he doesn't have any bladder issues, then this peeing that you are describing is most likely because he is feeling very insecure. He may even be scared becasue of the rapid changes happening around him.

I know that you have decided to rehome him and I hope that you find a well matched home for him. But in the mean time, I would urge you not to assign human thought patterns to him. Cats don't think like humans do. And while they do exhibit attention seeking behaviour, it is more out of love than malice or any other negative emotion. And yes, some cats like him can be a handful. That's just how it is. Just because one of my cats loves to cuddle doesn't mean the other one will too. They all have their personalities and traits and whatnot. So I will urge you to step back and say to yourself, he only has the intelligence of a 2 year old human. This will help reduce your stress in the time that he is in your home. It will also reduce your frustrations with his behaviour.

I don’t get mad at him but I don’t want it in my home and he clearly has a behavioral issue that’s causing him to do that. He’s a wild and insecure temperament, period. There’s no sugar coating it and I’m not applying human logic to it. I know he either gets scared or is mad at me. It IS 1 of the 2. Today he wanted to play rough but I had no socks on and he went for my feet and scratched my ankles up. There’s only so much a person can take and if it’s not the right fit, it’s not the right fit. I’ve stopped making myself feel bad for it. He puts me and my cats on constant edge. It’s fine that you may be able to deal with that, but not everyone wants to. It’s one thing if he just needs to be socialized, but he’s a mean cat. He wants to play with my cats as his fun, stalk them. It is very difficult to get this to shift. I’ve been working on it and it’s clear it’s inherent in him and his insecurity. Bc my cats are well behaved, friendly, peaceful, loving and playful cats. I’m not going to watch them get steamrolled just so new guy can feel more confident. Use your own cats for prey in this situation and then see if you’d take him.

But it’s the not letting me eat, sleep, go to the bathroom without a huge tantrum. When I let him out, he’s fine for so long. My cats are used to him being out every now and then and either go to sniff greet him hi or they stay back and observe him. Every single time he ends up going after both of them. Now they’re freaked out and depressed and there’s no way in heck I’m going to let any other new cat change their beautiful personalities bc I’m trying to save him. I am trying to do the right thing, but he’s been hyper destructive with everything in the process. I feel for him but I’m not willing to put up with such chaos in my home without feeling he’s ever going to change. I’ve been trying in a healthy way to make it work and this cat just cannot refrain from chasing after the others.

Every. Single. Time.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Katanya Katanya the poop scoop would smell like potty so that would make sense he would potty there and think it appropriate. Definitely a new owner will need to know so they can store his litter scoop right near the litter and prevent this behaviour.

How did the high pitch, "Eeep eeep." Go for foot attacks? Calcifer stopped foot attacks after about a week of us going "eeep eeep eeep."

Did you attempt a harness walk outside with him? I'm mostly trying to help you find a way to tolerate him until a more suitable home can be found because it is kitten season and as an older cat who is a return, he's likely to be euthanized as you mentioned before.

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t get mad at him but I don’t want it in my home and he clearly has a behavioral issue that’s causing him to do that. He’s a wild and insecure temperament, period. There’s no sugar coating it and I’m not applying human logic to it. I know he either gets scared or is mad at me. It IS 1 of the 2. Today he wanted to play rough but I had no socks on and he went for my feet and scratched my ankles up. There’s only so much a person can take and if it’s not the right fit, it’s not the right fit. I’ve stopped making myself feel bad for it. He puts me and my cats on constant edge. It’s fine that you may be able to deal with that, but not everyone wants to. It’s one thing if he just needs to be socialized, but he’s a mean cat. He wants to play with my cats as his fun, stalk them. It is very difficult to get this to shift. I’ve been working on it and it’s clear it’s inherent in him and his insecurity. Bc my cats are well behaved, friendly, peaceful, loving and playful cats. I’m not going to watch them get steamrolled just so new guy can feel more confident. Use your own cats for prey in this situation and then see if you’d take him.

But it’s the not letting me eat, sleep, go to the bathroom without a huge tantrum. When I let him out, he’s fine for so long. My cats are used to him being out every now and then and either go to sniff greet him hi or they stay back and observe him. Every single time he ends up going after both of them. Now they’re freaked out and depressed and there’s no way in heck I’m going to let any other new cat change their beautiful personalities bc I’m trying to save him. I am trying to do the right thing, but he’s been hyper destructive with everything in the process. I feel for him but I’m not willing to put up with such chaos in my home without feeling he’s ever going to change. I’ve been trying in a healthy way to make it work and this cat just cannot refrain from chasing after the others.

Every. Single. Time.
I'm not suggesting you keep him, its clear that you do not want him and that it's not a good fit. But it is true that cats do not do anything out of spite. He did not want to hurt you, he just wanted to play and probably does not know his strength.

In any case, I hope you find a good home for him soon. Keep up updated on that.