Regret New Cat?

Brookee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I just got a new cat who is a year old from a humane society. He seems to be very scared of his new home and doesn’t move much. I also have another cat who I’ve had for around four years. The two cats do not get along well at all. I’m beginning to regret this as I feel the new cat won’t like this as a new home? I feel like it’s unfair to my old cat to bring a new one in. Although I’d feel guilty about bringing him back to the shelter I’m wondering if that sounds like a better option so he has a more suitable home. The shelter I’d be returning him to IS a no kill shelter so that wouldn’t be a problem. Please give advice of what seems to be the best for the new cat in this situation. Should I wait longer? Or bring the cat to the shelter?

Thank you!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long have you had the new cat. It usually takes several weeks for the cat to get used to his new home/ owner and any other pets. Everything is strange for him. If you haven't had him long, don't give up. Patience is the key. There are lots of threads on this site on how to deal with this situation.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Introducing new cats to existing cats does take time but it works out eventually. It's taken a few months for my three to feel comfortable in each other's presence. If you love the little fella then it's worth giving it a go. There are links to introducing cats to each other but I'm not sure where they are. I'm sure someone will post them soon.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't give up yet. It takes time for a cat to adjust to a new place, and even more time for two strange cats to learn to get along. I'm going to give you links to several articles that can help you with the process, and I am confident that you can do this with patience.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight (JUST in case!)
Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
You, Your Cat And Stress

How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

I know it seems like a LOT of reading, but each article is fairly short, but filled with no-nonsense, easy to understand information, and each one has a special something that the others do not. This is doable. It really is. And we are here to listen and help as we can along the way!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: It sounds like too much, too soon, not that you made the wrong choice. Cats take awhile to study another cat before they decide about the other - a stray cat showed up in the fringes of our yard this summer and just now is showing up among the ferals at feeding time (inside cats typically do not take near this long).
New cats need to establish a "base camp" before expanding/establishing new territory. For some cats, it is a bedroom or a bathroom; other cats need a kennel or large cave made out of a cardboard box; on the other side of the scale, for cats like my Maine Coon JC, a lack of "no trespassing" or "do not enter" is considered permission to own. :lol: