Registration

Starry1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cattery is registered but I am selling all kittens as pet only. Do I need to register my litters or provide any paperwork to the buyers?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If they are not going to be shown there is no need to register them. You could go ahead and register the litter "just in case" but would not have to give the new owners the paperwork.

Just make sure your contract specifies that the kittens will not be registered and will be spayed/neutered before going to their new homes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Starry1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!

All kittens will be altered before going ro their new homes. So is there any point to registering a litter just in case? In case of what?

Should I only provide buyers with a copy of the pedigree as well?

Can they do anything unethical with a copy of the pedigree?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe it is important to register the litter and each individual kitten, and to provide new owners with paperwork including registration and a pedigree.

Most owners appreciate receiving the paperwork, and they are entitled to this proof of the kitten's ancestry. If the kitten's owner ever needs to re-home their cat in the future and cannot contact you, this registration paperwork is proof of their cat's ancestry for a new owner.

The pedigree doesn't need to be a certified pedigree from CFA or TICA. You can just print one out from your own pedigree software. I usually make a PDF "picture pedigree" with pictures of the ancestors going back a few generations. Buyers love to see pictures of their cat's ancestors!

Starry1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! If I register the litter and provide the buyers with the registration for a kitten, what can they do with it?

I am only adopting out to good homes as pets only. I'm confused, I'm just trying to figure out what the point of having the registration is if the buyer can't do anything with it.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is sort of proof that the cat is in fact pedigreed. Think about it - would you be comfortable spending that amount of money on an animal that may or may not be pedigreed? I only saying there are some dishonest people who would say a cat is pedigreed, sell it with no papers for $$ when in fact it is a look alike.

Starry1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. That makes sense. Can they show the cat with the registration? Is there an option on the registration to put pet only, no showing?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just trying to figure out what the point of having the registration is if the buyer can't do anything with it.
It is verification for the buyer that your kitten is a specific recognized breed.

We have people coming to this site all the time who bought a kitten from a "breeder" with unregistered cats, trying to figure out if what they bought is really a Ragdoll, Bengal, Persian, Russian Blue, etc. Sometimes it appears to be that breed... and sometimes it doesn't even look like that breed at all. Likewise, sometimes people will see an adult cat available that needs a home and is supposedly a specific breed, and they come here posting pictures asking if it really belongs to that breed... Registration papers verify that the cat does indeed belong to that breed.

When you intentionally breed cats and place the kittens in homes, you owe it to those kittens to give them the best possible chance at a healthy and happy life. Part of that is choosing good homes for the kittens. But we can't always control everything about the homes we choose. Owners may die, or may have to give up their cats in other circumstances. If the kitten that you placed must be re-homed in the future, and the owner cannot contact you, its registration papers may make a difference in whether it easily finds a new home, or whether it ends up euthanized at a shelter. Like it or not, it is easier for a pedigreed and registered cat to find a home.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. That makes sense. Can they show the cat with the registration? Is there an option on the registration to put pet only, no showing?
They can show the cat in the class for altered cats (in CFA this is called Premiership), or in the Household Pet class (any cat can be shown in Household Pet whether it is registered or not). Does that worry you?