Regarding pure bred cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by flisssweetpea

Don't feel guilty about wanting to share your home with a purebred. If this will be your only indoor kitty, I would talk to the breeder to see whether two of that breed would be a good idea to provide company.
Another consideration I had not thought of. Both of my present cats are INDOOR ONLY cats. I have only had one cat that was ever allowed outside and he lived outside 100% and that was only because I was afraid he would hurt children. I could not put him down myself but I did not shed tears when he went to the bridge.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

This is also Ocicat rescues
http://home.earthlink.net/~whtfang/ocicat.res.htm
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NC279.html

If you can't find one in time, Ocicats are not that popular that there are breeders with available kittens/cats all the time and many breeders have waiting lists
Thank you for the wealth of information. I have filled out the form to join the waiting list and I see a stack of refs that will keep me busy for quite a while investigating and inquiring to. I have precisely 34 days so I do not face an impossible task.

Thanks again!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

You know, I was thinking, since you said three might turn into five and your wife didnt object, that sounds like permission to get two rescues after you get your Oci!
I still have it in the back of my mind that the two rescues will once again be from our daughter rather than from the center. She is in the film business and is travelling around the world more and more. Right now, we only have one litter box on the bottom of three floors. And when we had little Shelby, she would follow Persi into the box even though she had her own so I guess it is possible for three to use one box. There has to be a point where my sister-in-laws are no longer going to want to come over here and take care of the cats if it gets to be too many. And DW and I also travel around the world. Despite this, my sister-in-laws think it is a great idea and if I can get the kitten early, they will hide it until August 30, the day of the Cat Party. What a great party that would be because DW does not have the slightest suspicion, and yes, I know how wives check what thier husbands have been doing on the internet all day and I have my tracks well covered!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely get another litter box. Having 3 cats using the same box is just asking for problems, not to mention you would be scooping and cleaning it all day long. I have 2 cats and 2 boxes and I already feel like I have to clean them too much. I would think you'd have plenty of room in the new house for another box or two.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't buy the "same number of litter boxes as cats, plus one" theory, but it might be a good idea. We've done with one for our two guys for a long time, with no problems, but right now we have two for them (I put out 3 for the time we were on vacation, and I'm slowly emptying them), and one for Ella, our foster.

Sterling is an ocicat, but not a show-quality one. Far from it. But he DOES have the energy level. The shelter warned us that he was hyperactive; they used to put him in the exercise room with the kittens, and he was more playful than all the kittens put together! We wanted that, because Punkin needed to be exercised.

I can understand wanting a purebred cat, but "without issues" is an entirely different matter, and not necessarily the same.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do agree that you really should have another litter pan - you don't want to start having problems of someone objecting that the pan is getting too crowded

I forgot to tell you Lee, but she does have two older retired cats (a few years older) that she's looking to place - ask her about that if you have not called yet. They would be less then a kitten in price

http://www.breedlist.com/retired/oci-ret.html

its the bottom 2 cats - Catiators - one chocolate male (3 yrs old), one chocolate female (5 yrs old).

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I don't buy the "same number of litter boxes as cats, plus one" theory, but it might be a good idea. We've done with one for our two guys for a long time, with no problems, but right now we have two for them (I put out 3 for the time we were on vacation, and I'm slowly emptying them), and one for Ella, our foster.

Sterling is an ocicat, but not a show-quality one. Far from it. But he DOES have the energy level. The shelter warned us that he was hyperactive; they used to put him in the exercise room with the kittens, and he was more playful than all the kittens put together! We wanted that, because Punkin needed to be exercised.

I can understand wanting a purebred cat, but "without issues" is an entirely different matter, and not necessarily the same.
Hey Mike, be sure and bring lots and lots of pictures to the 1st Annual KatKlik meeting. Both DW and I can see what it is going to be like. I have made progress since I first posted this and have located a breeder that will have kittens exactly when I need one. I have a large plasma TV with an HDMI input that many laptops have now days. And of course I have wi-fi throughout the house and pictures (besides gab) is what KatKlik is all about.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

How much do these things cost in your part of the world?
The cost of these "things" is of course more than in the US, but that's not really relevant unless you plan on importing one