Regarding bacterial contamination?

hantu_tiga_satu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How dangerous is it? I have heard a lot of people say "cat digestive system could handle it". I also have concern regarding toxoplasmosis even though it's on most cases asymptomatic. I have fed my kitten raw chicken (some boiled breast meat but mostly raw chicken meat, bone & organs) last week with good results (no diarrhea). Saw a thread from a vet talking about it and someone posted this picture in the reply :
The vet also claims some kitten have broken bone from raw feeding, which made me a bit confused since the vet seems to be generalizing raw feeding to "feeding just raw meat". The topic is so polarizing and some people are outright dismissive :(

Anyhow I'm really considering switching to home cook boiled chicken etc., but aside from taurine, what other nutrients needs to be added back in especially ones that exists in the raw meat but dissolves/reduces when boiled? Good wet/dry food is too expensive for me as it's need to be imported, the price imo often inflated :( i live in SE asia.

(I hope this post doesn't came off as rude, i am new to the site)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Welcome! No, not rude at all, you seem to be a person who is trying to lean about a complicated subject.

I'm one of the people who's considered feeding raw/home cooked many many times. I didn't think my angel kitty who just died would have liked it, but I probably should have tried :)

I think it's great that your kitten likes the food.

Regarding bacteria, I am therefore not an expert, but I think that if a person maintains a clean and safe food environment along with safe food handling methods and procedures, the cat should be fine as will yourself.

My thought about the broken jaw situation is that the owner gave pieces that were too big.

There are pre-mixes that have all the minerals and other nutrients. Even if you don't have them available you might take a look and see what the ingredient list is.

Also, these links might have more information;
Raw Feeding Recipes & Resources

Homemade & Raw Food For Cats – A Collection of Guides – TheCatSite Articles