Refusing morning meal?

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a 7mo (S) and a 5mo (A). I feed them 3x a day. Pate wet food at 7am, high quality dry food at noon, and TikiCat after Dark at 6pm. When they were a bit younger I'd give them another scoop of dry food before bed, but I've stopped that. They tend to eat about half of what I give at once and then come back an hour or two later for more.

Now A--the boy--is very hungry in the morning and follows me downstairs and makes sure I put out food right away. And given that it's been 12ish hours since they ate I expect this. But I've noticed lately that S, my girl kitten, isn't eating her morning portion and A is eating both of them. (Not all at once, but over the course of a couple hours.) I don't think he's bullying her or keeping her from the food. She will often go up and sniff it and then walk away. She's a real dry food addict (although I'd like to wean them from dry altogether!) and so my gut feeling is that she is turning up her nose at the pate and waiting for the dry food that she knows she'll get at noon. She eats her evening meal (wet but not pate) just fine. And she always dives for the dry food. She's a healthy weight for her age. . .I think she's getting enough I'm just so surprised and curious. . .I mean isn't she super hungry in the morning? Does he hate the pate that much? (she used to eat it) Does she just need less calories then him and prefer to wait till noon?

What do you think? Should I try switching up what foods I feed at what times? Or not mess with it if it works for them? At some point I won't want him to be eating double portions though!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yeah I think you're right. I'll try offering the food she likes in the AM,
The TikiCat she likes isn't cheap. . .I've tried many wet foods and this is the one she loves. It would be expensive to feed it to her twice a day. . .and I worry that it isn't a varied enough diet. I'd rather have multiple foods I can switch between. But she's so picky. :/

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a very picky cat, tried dozens of different wet foods both cheap and expensive. I found an affordable wet food in gravy and mixed in his favourite dry and he eat the lot. Now there are maybe 6 small nuggets of dry only and he still eats it.