Refuses wet food

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

My kitten turns 1 in June and has always been picky with his food. About a month ago he had an ultra sound and showed he had a fatty liver vet said could have been because he wasnt eating (which is why I took him in) then they did a blood test and said it was "looking boring" which was good! He now refuses his wet food I've literally tried hand feeding/flat steel bowl/on the table. I have dried adding every mix in you can think of and he refuses. Right now hes still eating his Rawz chicken and salmon dry food with the catit lickable cat treat but hes starting to get bored of it. Can you reccomend a dry food that is not too terrible (price doesnt matter). He also is tired of his ziwi peak air dried food lol. Thanks so much!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One of my guys is like yours, and has been since he was a kitten. He's now eleven and for eleven years, at every meal, it's been a chore to get him to eat :sigh:. Some days I just give up; grumble at him and say "well, I guess maybe you'll be hungry tomorrow", and he usually is. But in my opinion he just doesn't eat enough. And believe me, I have tried every topper in the world, but to no avail. He loves them from my hand, but not so much on his food. But the different here is that my guy has no idea what dry food is, other than freeze dried raw. One time I finally caved and gave him some kibble because I was going insane with him, and he just looked at me and walked away. He literally had no idea what it was because he is used to being fed wet food and freeze dried raw for treats. I guess what I'm getting at is that some cats just don't eat much. And my guy is not slovenly at all. In his younger days he used to swing from the ceiling fans when he could reach them. He still runs around like crazy, so he's not lacking in the energy department. I don't think he knows what "slow" is. Just walking down the hall he's always in fast mode.

anyway, to answer your question about a good kibble, the only thing I can do is point you to another thread, since I don't feed it myself. Try this one: https://thecatsite.com/threads/best-kibble.412809/#post-5148508.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Hima has sensitive digestion and dental problems. She does good with Acana Wild Prairie. It's for both kittens and adult cats. Higher on the calorie which is good for the cats who don't eat much in amount. The only downside is it leads to constipation sometimes but nothing that can't be fixed with malt paste and that helps with hairballs too.

Hima eats wet food too but she also gets bored of the same food after couple months. She currently eats Pro Plan Delicate canned in the morning and afternoon (half of the can in the morning, the other half in the afternoon), and Miamor chicken pate in the evening and night. I replace Pro Plan with Gourmet Gold turkey pate after 1-2 months at the latest.

Also sometimes cats associate a health problem with their food and stop eating after getting sick while on it. It doesn't have to be like the food caused the sickness. They just associate it with the food and get cold feet.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give the Hartz Lickabel treats, Delectable Stew, when it is dire, it is what I give meds in too. Sometimes it is the ONLY thing a sick/picky cat will eat. A fatty liver is not good, he needs to start eating more. Get several wet foods and dry foods and rotate them. Offer deli-sliced turkey at times, or boiled and shredded chicken. I wish you luck!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Look into Orijen kibble. It's the only one we buy. I believe it's the highest protein kibble available. I usually buy Regional Red or Tundra flavors; or the original Chicken/Turkey if the others aren't available. There's a Six Fish too - but I try to avoid too much seafood in the cats diets so for kibble I stay away from it.

It is expensive, but since you said that doesn't matter this may fit the bill for you.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie will only eat her first meal if its fresh,she has suddenly decided. Usually I have to add pure bites freeze dried chicken. Some times it's the texture like gravey with pieces of meat or shredded in broth instead of pate. I so wish canidae pure chaparrel canyon was not discontinued, a perfect sub for pate. Would he like tiki after dark? I get chicken duck and quail with egg. Something different because its shredded with pieces of meat in broth

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
They also like Against the Grain Caribbean Club with Chicken and Cheese. Brand has not been mentioned in a long time so I kinda forgot about it
For dry dr elseys has been suggested a lot on this site.

Last edited:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you experimented with all different brands / textures / flavors of the wet food? I have a very picky princess (Cricket) who refused absolutely everything until I tried Weruva Cats in the Kitchen - two flavors she will eat: Mack, Jack, and Skip; and Chick Magnet. She still doesn't eat a whole lot of it and I do have to supplement with the dry, but at least she eats something. When we adopted her from the rescue, they told us she would never eat wet food. It took persistence, and luckily our other kitty at the time (Swanie) would eat anything, so what she didn't eat didn't go to waste.