Refuses litter box

MsVeezley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I am at a complete loss.
I have a female cat that just stopped using the litter box. She is about a year old, spayed, and an indoor only cat. She shares a house with two dogs (both house trained) and they get along well. She also had two other cats that she gets along with (no litter box issues).
We have plenty of litter boxes. About 4.
I have tried changing the types of litter.
I have tried changing the type of litter box.
I have tried changing the locations (areas that she seems to favor when going outside of the litter box).
I have taken her to the vet for tests (urine,blood,fecal,and X-rays)
I tried encouraging good litter box behavior with treats.
I have tried picking up the feces, putting in the litter box to show her that is where it goes.
I have tried attractants in the litter box.
Deterrents in the spots she favors (after I throughly clean)
I have tried cleaning it more frequently.
It seems like the only consistency is she will use it as soon as I put fresh litter in it.
It started out as just feces but now she has started urinating on the couches.
I need help and any suggestions. I really don’t want to call a cat behaviorist cause they can be really expensive, but that is what it is coming to. So suggestions on thing I can try before I go that route would be really helpful.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try using sand or soil in the litter tray. Some cats like just sheets of paper, you could shred it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If all of her tests came out to show no issues (you didn't say), and the sand or soil as mentioned above don't work, then try puppy pee pads in a low sided litter box, or a fairly good sized cardboard box lid.

It almost sounds like she does not want to use a litter box that is not clean, and that probably includes the other cats' deposits as well. Is there something going on with one or more of the other cats that is making their pee/poop smell unusual? You may not notice it, but she might.

SkyeCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe try a more natural type of litter (sand, sawdust, corn, even paper). Maybe there's a smell she doesn't like...