Referral Needed, Re. Rescue Organization, Or Tnr Group

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
A azpops Jcatbird Jcatbird are you trying to edit posts?
There is an edit facility but 'kittens' don't have editing permissions. Young cats (5 days and 20 posts) and over have 120 minutes to edit. So azpops.. only a few more posts. :thumbsup:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t really wish to edit posts. I wouldn’t know what to edit. I just wish I didn’t make so many typos. I hate for people to have try and decipher my boo boos. Just part of trying to appear like I can see what I am typing on this phone. Lol

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I don’t really wish to edit posts. I wouldn’t know what to edit. I just wish I didn’t make so many typos. I hate for people to have try and decipher my boo boos. Just part of trying to appear like I can see what I am typing on this phone. Lol
I never have any trouble reading your posts.

;)

If there is something you feel really needs to be edited please flag your post and one of the mods will edit for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mani mani ; Thanks! So, from somewhere or another, it'll magically appear? Sounds great! ... lol

Please excuse the quality of the photos. I'm just a Casio point and shot kind of person.

IT'S DINNER TIME!

Could you hurry up PLEASE!

I gotta get a better look-see on what we're getting tonight!

This is when it gets quiet! ... lol

May I have more, please?

It's clean up time, on Pop's chair.

Thanks, Pops. Now, when do we eat again?

Thanks!

Pops

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Precious! I can see why they tugged at your heart. The photos are great. It looks like they are already your babies. Did you have any luck with finding spay neuter help? I think if you are bonded with them you may be able to get them in a trap or carrier. I think that they have already claimed you from the look of the photos! :petcat:

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird ; I see what you're trying to do there! ... lol ... Seriously though, although I'm not in the position to provide a home for them. They deserve to have a great, loving home, of their very own!

I've ordered a tru-catch (however, they are three to four weeks backordered). I was thinking the same, in regards to a carrier. Last night I was looking at tru-catch's carriers.

Pops

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In case it might help..... many vet offices and humane societies will lend you a trap. Might save you some expense. But perhaps you are going to join the ranks and be a regular rescuer. I understand about not being able to keep them.( ya got me on the hoping you would keep them thing.;) Lol) I have had to let go of far too many. I keep the ones that are unlikely to be adopted whether it is from illness or just being shy or frightened by anyone but me. I am sure you will find a great place for them. They are beautiful cats and they look like you have been giving them excellent care. The carrier may work well for you if you choose that alternative. I often start feeding them in a carrier and then when I need to transport they are used it. I just cover the carrier with a towel or something while I am moving them. I love the photos. The kitties look completely at home and content. You have earned their trust which is something I greatly admire. Keep posting!:wave3:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I think you can buy humane traps at Tractor Supply stores. My vet has his own trap that he lets me use for free whenever I have another feral that needs to be fixed. I think a lot of vets that treat feral cats have them.

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions, re. the traps. I ordered a Have A Heart once, but returned it. Never opened the box to see the trap though.

Norachan Norachan ; this is the trap, oh heck. What's the discount tool store called? Oh, Harbor Freight Tools. Bought this one back in 2010. This couple and I think it was one child, stopped at a parking lot adjacent to a property I was working in Tucson, AZ. They were traveling to the west side of AZ, can't remember the city.

Anyways, long story short. I watch a fur ball jump out of the car, then the couple running around trying to catch a kitten (although not funny, but I just watched to see what the outcome would be, but yeah, I can't lie. It was kind of funny). The male catches the kitten, but instead of grabbing the rough of it's neck, which IMO he should've done. I hear a yell, while watching the kitten run off.

Went out an bought this trap, and caught the little guy / gal? Not sure.

People are funny, never a surprise! Called their relative, told them I caught the cat. They had a cardboard box in the back seat to carry the cat, so I gave them the cat in the trap. Told me they'll send me the money. Never saw the money! ... LOL ... Like I said, people are funny.

What I liked about the Tru-Catch is the trap door closes by gravity (no springs).

If that kitten triggered the trap door while entering. Kitten would have serious problems.

Pops

PS note to self, awh, never mind. Hopefully that magic edit button will appear soon! ... LOL

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, BTW. How many posts am I short? Should I do some quick power posting? ... lol .... Just joking of course! ... LOL

Pops

PS wouldn't it be funny if I got banned before acquiring my edit button?

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
BTW, one of the shelter's will loan a trap with a $50.00 deposit. Fully refundable when you return the trap.

Pops

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome A azpops and gorgeous little panthers to TCS! *And I can't see how you'd get banned!* First off, THANK YOU BIGTIME for helping these beautiful cats. Other posters' suggestions are great and there isn't much I can add except to say that you can also go to alleycat.org, the website of Alley Cat Allies, the national (and even international) database for all things "cat" especially outdoor cat; they have lots of helpful information and may be able to link you up with people/organizations in your area who can help these wonderful cats.
I have a humane trap, but it's in the garage and I don't remember what brand. They're all pretty similar as far as I know, and indispensable to all of us who care about cats, though in our current neighborhood people are caring and responsible and keep their cats indoors safe and sound. Our city even has TNR as municipal policy! *Thanks to the amazing advocates, whomever they are, who brought this about.*
As far as flip-phones go, I guess that's a pretty personal decision, but as someone who resisted the cost (and, I thought, intrusiveness) of a smartphone until a couple of years ago, may I just say that if you do decide to get a smartphone, you will probably wonder why you waited so long. They are so amazing! Having a device that does everything a PC does, and then some, in your hand, gives you so much more power, capability and convenience that you'd think possible. I got the iPhone SE which is substantially less than the other iPhones but basically does everything they do, has great cameras, etc. *A shameless plug, though I don't work for them!*

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@ tarasgirl06; Thanks for the tip on Alley Cat Allies! In regards to the banning thing, it was a silly attempt of some bad humor. ... :)

One of the reasons I haven't made the change to a smartphone. I have a Verizon unlimited use air card to access the net on my computer (which is also tied to my phones). Once Verizon quits supporting G3, then I'll be forced to make the change.

But yeah, it would be nice to catch up with technology!

Thanks again!

Pops

PS I had to test my edit button! And, ... IT WORKS! .... lol

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@ tarasgirl06; Thanks for the tip on Alley Cat Allies! In regards to the banning thing, it was a silly attempt of some bad humor. ... :)

One of the reasons I haven't made the change to a smartphone. I have a Verizon unlimited use air card to access the net on my computer (which is also tied to my phones). Once Verizon quits supporting G3, then I'll be forced to make the change.

But yeah, it would be nice to catch up with technology!

Thanks again!

Pops

PS I had to test my edit button! And, ... IT WORKS! .... lol
That's the great thing about tech. It's so individual. No one's system is exactly the same. I don't build my own systems but I do tweak them a lot. With the phones, I'll try to hang on to my SE until they go to 5 and then I'll probably be forced to buy something else for the same reason as you will when they stop supporting 3. *sigh* It can be irritating and frustrating at first loading everything up and learning enough to make it responsive to your needs, but once you do, I think you'll love it and be glad of it.
I'm a longtime supporter of ACA because they walk the talk. I don't know what we'd do without this amazing organization! Best Friends, too. We WILL reach our goal of being a "no-kill" nation by 2025, I know it. All of us working hard will get there, with strong hearts and lots of love for cats.
Speaking of whom, please give all of your cats best regards -- it's CATurday! :clapcat:

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Question, re. how to keep ants out of the food in traps?

I'll be short; I / we (mother cat) loss the kitten sometime after I left on Thursday morning. I haven't slept much, as I had to watch his mom looking for him (as I have been as well). It's been tough going since. I really miss the little guy, and don't feel good, nor proud of myself (although not a simple task) for not stepping up to the plate sooner.

I received my shipping notice from Tru-Catch yesterday. So, after a few conversations, I'm able to help the mother.

Back to my question. I started feeding the two in a sandy area just outside of the asphalt (seemed cooler). But as of this weekend, while feeding the mom. Within a few minutes, a few ants made their way into the bowl, and a few crickets were heading in that direction as well. After which, I've been feeding her on the asphalt.

What would be the best way to bait the trap (read, KFC is the best food to use), and keeping the ants out, or how much time do I have before they attack the food?

BTW, I was thinking of setting up the trap, start my work. Then check the trap every 15 minutes or sooner. However, if she's there watching me, this idea may not work.

or...

I have a few days off coming to me, so if I take two days off. She won't eat the first night, then set the trap in the main parking area which is outside of the fence (so hopefully she won't see me, and I'll be in a different vehicle watching the trap from a distance).

It was beginners luck catching the cat in the photo I posted. In addition, it was winter, so no worries regarding ants, and such.

Other suggestions, or recommendations, would be very much appreciated! This novice really needs some help!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Pops

PS it is unfortunate this isn't winter, as in NO ANTS!

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Question, re. how to keep ants out of the food in traps?

I'll be short; but I / we (mother cat) lost the kitten sometime after I left on Thursday morning. I haven't slept much, as I had to watch his mom looking for him (as I have been as well). It's been tough going since. I really miss the little guy, and don't feel good, nor proud of myself (although not a simple task) for not stepping up to the plate sooner.

I received my shipping notice from Tru-Catch yesterday. So, after a few conversations, I'm able to help the mother.

Back to my question. I started feeding the two in a sandy area just outside of the asphalt (seemed cooler). But as of this weekend, while feeding the mom. Within a few minutes, a few ants made their way into the bowl, and a few crickets were heading in that direction as well. After which, I've been feeding her on the asphalt.

What would be the best way to bait the trap (read, KFC is the best food to use), and keeping the ants out, or how much time do I have before they attack the food?

Other suggestions, or recommendations, would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Pops

PS it is unfortunate this isn't winter, as in NO ANTS!
You can try putting the food bowl inside a shallower bowl that has water in it. Sometimes the stainless bowls with the very wide rims keep ants out. Or, there are Fool-A-Bug bowls -- we bought ours at Petco years ago -- but if you're trapping right now, I'd try the first suggestion. Also, I've read that ants don't like salt, so you might try laying some salt on the ground near the food, but I would not suggest putting it in the water moat because the cat might drink that water and salt water isn't good to drink.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 ; Wow, that was fast! Thank you for the suggestion/s!

Pops
:hellocomputer:You're so welcome, A azpops -- I guess I just happened to see your post right away. Hope you can find something workable. I used to say our Mojave community should be called, "Ant Hills" instead of "Pinon Hills" because we must have had 5 different species of ants on our land and lots of hills there and on the frontage road. And yes, ants just INFESTED our barn cats' bowls until we bought the Fool-A-Bugs. Those fire ants are hellaceous.

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 ; thanks again for the tip. I ordered a OmniPet Anti-Ant No Tip Cat/ Dog Bowl (I figured the 16oz bowl would be a good size). I'm a Amazon Prime member, so it'll be here in a few days!

Thank you again!

Pops

BTW, YOU ROCK! ... two thumbs up!

BTW, Mods'. Thank you for my edit button! .. two thumbs up, as well!

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 ; thanks again for the tip. I ordered a OmniPet Anti-Ant No Tip Cat/ Dog Bowl (I figured the 16oz bowl would be a good size). I'm a Amazon Prime member, so it'll be here in a few days!

Thank you again!

Pops

BTW, YOU ROCK! ... two thumbs up!

BTW, Mods'. Thank you for my edit button! .. two thumbs up, as well!
Great! I haven't looked that one up yet, but it sounds similar to the Fool-A-Bug and should work great. You may have to put something down under the bowl to make sure there's an unbroken surface in the trap. If you have any plastic placemats or trays that would fit, you could try one of them. I think that's part of the logistics of how it works. And yes, 16 oz. sounds great.

Always glad to be able to help!