Referral Needed, Re. Rescue Organization, Or Tnr Group

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm basically asking for your help in giving me a direction.

I am trying to locate a "reputable" rescue group in the NW Phoenix area. The reason for a TNR group; I thought I could ask the group as well (networking).

While searching what should I look for?

1. How do you know who is reputable (for example a group who dosen't have a 501c3 exempt)?

2. What type of questions should I ask?

Would you know of any rescue groups in this area? Or anyone outside of the area who can help?

Thank you very much!

Pops

PS If I don't respond in a timely manner. I work nights, and heading to catch some Z's. Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank You Norachan! I getting ready to head out (work). I'll send a PM to them in the AM.

Pops

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You live in a great state for cats! Been researching your area. I am not a lawyer but it looks like the laws there protect ferals extremly well. Yay Arizona! There are many groups that help out there. I just thought to start you off with some info now so you can begin making contacts in the AM. I would begin with a site called, [email protected] and also contact Phoenix Feral Friends. The Animal Defense League phone is 602-265-7729. Arizona Animal Welfare phone is 602-273-6852. There are more as well. Just tell these groups what you want and need. Ask what services are available and how long it may take to get help from them. If the first contact cannot help you then ask them if they know of anyone who can. It may take some call/text/emailing but there is a lot of good help available there. Please contact us here if you need more links. Others may have more good advice. I have been working with cats where I live and have had to network. I am glad that you contacted this site and that you are interested in helping the cats where you live. This site is a great resource of people who have cat experience. Norachan Norachan I am glad you put my name up to help! It is a pleasure to try and assist. @azpopz you are doing a terrific thing by trying to help TNR the kitties. PM if you like. I hope you have a good night at work. Keep posting so we know how things are going.:hellocomputer:

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update: Jcatbird Jcatbird , thanks again for your help.

I'm heading out tomorrow to visit two shelters. One which I spoke to previously, as well as another I found yesterday.

Been online for awhile searching. I found a list of Best Friends Network Partners in Phoenix (which list 15 Partners), and NW Phoenix close to my area (listed 1 Partner, which I sent an email).

Like most things when new, with no resources / contacts, I'm going through the hardest part in this endeavor. I'm in hopes that I'll find a group (?) who will be in the position to help.

Norachan Norachan ; Thanks again for marking (?) this as a feature thread.

Have a great day!

Pops

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
BTW, my hat is off to all who's involved in rescue, and TNR. That statement; "it take one person to abandon an animal, but a village to rescue it". Really sinks in, and is so true!

Pops

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw many groups in your area. I don’t know all that you need but be sure to check your local animal shelter for an assist with spay/ neuter. I managed to find that a grant was given to the shelter here that paid to help me with some of the costs and transportation. Ask everyone and ask again later. I returned to some contacts at a later date and got a helping hand. I know it takes work. I am doing feral and rescues. I get them spayed/Neutered and tame for adoption because releasing where I live is a bad option. I was so pleased to see how Arizona laws assist individuals in their TNR efforts. I wish my state did as well. If you call pet supply companies some of them offer help too. Their numbers are on their product packages. I even got coupons for food from some. Tell them your story. I wish you huge success! Don’t give up. Help is out there. You will find many supporters here. If you do a search here on ferals you may find others in your situation who can give you tips Keep posting so we know how it goes. :hellocomputer: :clapcat:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I started out there were very few rescue groups that could help me. All were full to capacity and so overwhelmed. I was able to get some helpful information from them. Yet mostly I had to do the research on my own and do the best I could.

I was able to find a low cost spay/neuter clinic not too far. They had vouchers for certain zip codes too. Mine was not in the voucher system, but the cost was so much less than my regular vet. I then found an organization that gave vouchers for $10 spay/neuter!

Education to those in my neighborhood was key. Most of the cats in my area were unneutered males. There was lots of fighting and territorial spraying. I did my part and did TNR on as many as I could.

I recently moved almost an hour away. I had 3 remaining ferals from TNR on my property. I was able to get all of them and bring them to my new house. I decided to try and make them inside kitties only. It is a process, but they are doing fairly well.

Thank you for wanting to help and best of luck finding reputable places in your area. I am in Ohio and do not have any contacts in AZ.

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
shadowsrescue shadowsrescue ; thank you!

In regards to inquiring about the TNR groups, it was to possibly network through them, asking for referrals.

Although the heat is here in AZ, and increase by the end of the month. I don't want a random person pick up the two cats I'm trying to help. I feel it necessary to do my best, insuring the validity of the individual / group.

I've received information from the Humane Society (place I adopted Harlee "RIP", she was an owner surrendered 7 year old Lab back in 2007), as well as the fist shelter for cats I visited.

Once I received the approval. I began feeding the two, and leaving fresh water for them, so basically the basics. However, I don't have a safe place for them while they are vetted (at a low cost clinic), and waiting for an opening at one of the shelters (cats must be vetted, prior to taking them in). This is the void I have in the process / logistics.

This is where the though of a rescue group came to mind.

Thank you once again!

Pops

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
BTW, since I can't edit my post. The two cats are a young mother and her kitten (I'm terrible at this but, I'm guessing 6 months or so old).

Pops

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wondering if you can pet mom or baby. If you can or can get them to let you that will move things a little faster. Don’t know if you are in a place that would allow you to set up a small shelter but that might provide some level of safety. I often catch kitties by using a cat carrier to put food in long enough for them to eat. After they eat I remove the food to prevent preadotrs from coming to eat. An old towel in the bottom makes soft bed. When the kitties are used to the carrier they tend to go in it voluntarily as home. I cover the carriers so no one will bother the cats. If you don’t have one maybe you could borrow one. If it is big enough and they will go in then at some point you can shut them in it. Then they could be brought into a bathroom and stay crated until you get them spayed. If the kitten is young it will probably become tame and could be adopted. Possible for mom too. Can give you tons of tricks to get this accomplished if this is something you would like to do. Good luck and three cheers for you! YAY! Thanks for helping them. Keep us posted! :rock::goldstar:

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update; Still working on this!

Jcatbird Jcatbird ; In our (the cats and me) present situation. The cats are in a compound (totally fenced in 12 plus acre property), is the reason IMO they feel safe. I read that house cats, when abandoned, then found a place they feel safe, will not venture off.

No worries, re. Coyotes, and most birds of prey have flown up north into the cooler climate of mountains. I've worked with a dog, or dogs for the past 10 years (my partner/s). However, my boy Calvin past in April of 2017. He pretty much kept everyone out, animals and humans alike! ... lol ... Not saying they don't have to worry about predators, but it is fairly safe. What I am concerned about is a stray Tom that come in form time to time for the past year or so.

As mentioned; I am able to help them with the basics. However, I am not to leave food unattended. I feed them, when they are done eating, bowls are removed / thrown away. I purchased a tempered glass meatloaf baking bowl for their water dish (holds good amount of water), which is hidden, and out of the sun. Both know where the water is.

I'm arriving an hour or so early to feed them, and feed them again when I'm done for the night. I clean the water bowl, and ad fresh water before I leave.

They sure have a healthy appetite. Figure they are going through a lot, so I'm feeding them the best which my pocket book will allow. I read on the boards re. the importance of hydration, SO .... I purchased; 60 plus tubs of Purely Fancy Feast (lots of juice, and the food looks like I'd like it a well .... lol). I started adding Purina Beyond Gravy canned food to the menu as well, and bring some Beyond Dry, used as treats, or ad a bit to their bowl after eating. In regards to treats; I bought a few (OK, more then a few ...lol) Sheba Meaty Tender Sticks.

I'll give them a 1/2 stick each while I prepare their first meal. Then while working, they'll come around to see how I'm doing, or to ask when they're gonna eat again. I'll give one to each of them.

Presently, I'm feeding them; mother gets a can and two thirds of a can, and the youngster a can and a third of a can. So three cans total for their first meal. For their last meal; mother gets a tub and two thirds of a tub, and the youngster gets a tub and a third of a tub. I have another tub, as back up. Which I'll split with the two.

I figure they need some catching up to do, as well as the extra calories they're burning in this weather.

The youngster is a funny guy. I prepare their food in the back of my Jeep. He'll jump in and sit, or lay on my dog's platform between the driver's and passenger seats, and watch me, or telling me to "hurry up. we're hungry!".

My boy Calvin "RIP"

Not too many folks will take their new Jeep (this was back in 2014) to a Jeep specialty shop to cut down the arm rest to place a platform (a friend made for my dogs) between the front seats. ... lol ... I've had four, the last three were my working partners.

OK, now I'm rambling. Gonna try and catch a few hours of Z's and heading out to work on helping these two.

Many thanks again!

Pops

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK, now I'm going to have time to a quick nap! ... lol

Sure would be nice to have the ability to edit your post. Anyways, while cleaning up. I was thinking, I should clarify a thing or two.

Side Note: When I describe the property as a compound. It reality it's a large fully fenced in property. Didn't want to make it sound more then what it is. When talking to friends, I call it a compound! ... lol

My dogs, have great temperament. Wherever I'm working, they all tend to be the site's, or property's mascots. ... lol

Jcatbird Jcatbird ; in regards to the cat's temperament. IMO, these two are abandoned house cats. As mentioned, the little one will jump in my Jeep, and I've been feeding them for only a few nights (since Friday evening).

IMO he is looking for physical attention. As of last night he'll sit in my nylon folding chair. Won't move till I get close, and just jumps off. Mother is still a bit skittish, but when eating I feel I'll be able to pet her. While giving treats, she'll come up to my fingers for a sniff.

However, that aside. I'm the one avoiding any contact. It is already a personal endeavor, which (as of present) I haven't been successful. However, if I pet them, well, it sure crossed the line (for me anyways).

What I mean is, the two will watch me as I leave for the night. Night before last, the little one was sitting, maybe 30 feet behind the Jeep. Sat there watching me till I couldn't see him as I drove to the gate.

Talk about tugging at the heart strings, yes?

Pops

PS if I make any errors, Oh Well! ... lol

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One last thing; I still use a flip phone, is why no photos of the two. I'll bring my camera tonight, see if I can get a photo or two for you'all!

OK, that's it for sure this time!

Pops

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay for flip phones! Wish I had never changed. Did so fairly recently. Love dogs too! Sounds like the kitties are fairly well off but also sounds like they have chosen you! I can tell you are hesitant to get deeply attached but I think you already are. Lol If you really don’t want or can’t have the kitties then just get them used to you enough to get your hands on them so you can move the process forward. If they are discsrded or lost pets they need a home. The state I live in has little available to assist me. I have pulled in 60 kitties from being tortured and killed. It has been. Long process. I had to hunt for aid and do a few cats at a time. 44 have been adopted by great cat people. I am still working on this. It has been very hard to get attached to each one and then let it go but I am having to do what is best for them. ( this is the second time I have done this and I had kept the cats from the last rescue that did not tame enough for adoption so my resources are shot!) From what I have found out about where you live I think you can accomplish what you desire to do. If you can rescue the little guys it is a truly great thing to do. Would you be able to keep them? If that is your wish them I would use local resources to get them spayed/neutered and any vet help you can get first. Trap , neuter and release seems to be the norm there so they would come back to you. If you can’t keep them then working with them just a little more should make them adoptable. You already have their trust which is huge! I really admire you for “seeing their need” and helping. I wish everyone was like you. Keep posting. I will respond. :wave3: Don’t worry about mistakes. I make them constantly.

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
shadowsrescue shadowsrescue ; same to you as well!

Would someone please place a magic "edit button" somewhere?

Pops

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you find that magic edit button..... please let me know! Lol Thank you for the compliment but just doing the right thing. I think we are either part of the solution or part of the problem. We can , at least try to solve what comes before us. Let us know how things go for you.