Redirected Aggression

MsKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I am new here. I have a problem with redirected aggression. I am not willing to be frightened or stressed over the fights and have decided to permanently separate them. The aggressor started that behavior three days ago at the sight of an intruder cat outside the patio, and her very innocent sister was sitting next to her, so that became the focus of her anger and hissing and growling and all out fighting. I have three cats. I have isolated the aggressor and one of her other sisters in my large bedroom. There is plenty of space for them there and the innocent "victim" of this redirected aggression will remain downstairs. Fortunately I have three bathrooms so there are plenty of litter boxes for all. I read many articles on redirected aggression and believe this is the only permanent solution. So sad they are all three litter mates and have never been apart for the last 11 years. But again this is not their fault. It is instinct and especially so for these three were feral rescues as babies. I have Feliway diffusers mostly for comfort and security for them since this big change. One upstairs in the big bedroom and one downstairs in the living room. It is hard to accept but better than other sad situations such as severe illness or unexpected death. Best to all and thanks for reading my frustrations and commiserations.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If you know the source of the problem - that being the outside intruder cat, do you know if this cat belongs to someone or is an abandoned stray/feral? The first thing you might consider doing is some homework to see if you can find out. I am not a fan of things like the air-can, but they could be placed outside in areas of your patio to 'scare' this intruder away. Contacting local rescues or shelters to get some assistance in trapping the cat to see if its home can be found or if is a cat that can be tamed/homed is something else you need to look into.

Redirected aggression is almost always solvable if you can remove the source of the issue. Doing a partial re-introduction with your cats - away from that patio is pretty successful in all actuality, especially when the cats have been together as long as yours have.

How to Get Rid of Stray Feral Cats (thespruce.com)
Re-directed Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MsKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I know the source and have blocked view to the patio. I am so frightened of another fight. I have the Feliway diffusers going the Vet said to wait a few days before they really start to work. I know I have to try it. I am just afraid to do it since this will be sensed and aggravate the situation. I am doing the best I can. I do not handle stress, plus I am afraid of getting hurt myself. Maybe it is because I have never seen such behaviors in the 40 years that I have had cats in my life. I don't have screens or gates pretty much open flooring except for the bedroom doors. Any additional ideas to reintroduce them would be much appreciated. As I write this my stress level is going up just thinking about it. They used to be so loving toward each other. Thank you for your insights.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not all calming products work on all cats, so you might have to experiment beyond Feliway.

Here is an example of a blockade that can be made for any sized opening - even across a room if need be. It is made from shelving that can be bought at many home improvement stores. Set the shelving on its side and zip tie each segment of the shelving to make a 'foldable door'. The shelving can be cut to most any height that you want or need. All you have to do gain access to either side of the blockade is to fold a segment back. This type of shelving can made to go across doorways too.
Shelving blockade.png

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
also cover the wire shelving with a sturdy, plastic shelf liner ( can be zip tied or taped in place)- that is what I used on the pic ... it makes it harder to climb ... if you do decide to re-introduce - you can start with shorter periods of supervised playtime with plenty of cardboard boxes laying around to provide visual separation ... the aggressor is usually the one being insecure and who needs the re-assurance. We tend to be mad with whoever is acting out and the cats seem to sense that frustration which in turn ... makes them more stressed... plenty of cozy time for the little stinker ... and try to remain calm ... at the first sign of tension ( watch that body language ... tail swishing ... ) diffuse by offering playtime ... Da bird ... something they go nuts over ... they need positive experiences together... feed them treats at the same time close to each other, use that laser toy ( two or three if you have to ) ...

MsKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I tried the Feliway and separation for 4 days. I did the transfer of blanket my "victim cat" and took to aggressor cat no luck tried to attack me. Tonight I tried reintegration which worked for about 10 minutes until the aggressor realized and smelled the victim cat and an big snarly scratchy growly out and out fight ensured. It took me 15 minutes to this time isolate the aggressor. Next to reintegrate the neutral cat and the victim cat who seem to get along..So now the aggressor is downstairs and the other two (neutral and victim) have the large master bedroom and lots of windows and bathroom,.food. water catboxes etc. I am still heart pounding trying to act normal. The aggressor is acting normal with me. I don't think this is a resolvable situation. I am going to go with the idea of making a barrier so the entire upstairs is accessible for the two that get along and the aggressor can be downstairs with me. So for now at least the victim is not isolated and depressed and she has company. That was getting bad she was not eating or drinking and hiding for three days. Thanks again for this site. Who knew I would ever be dealing with this after 40 years living with cats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad you've come up with a semi-workable solution. But something is going on with this aggressor and it sounds like you've placed him back to where he can be exposed to this intruder cat?? Are you also working on ways to 'remove' the intruder, if it is still hanging around?

You may be looking at a vet visit for a full checkup for the aggressor, and perhaps a trial of some calming medications to see if that might make a difference. It also has not been brought up yet, but sometimes the problem is not with the aggressor but with the victim. Health issues can cause some cats to lash out at sick cats. Not all cats do this, so that would explain why the neutral cat has no issue with the victim.

MsKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi thanks for the reply. I have blocked the patio windows half way up. The aggressor has clean bill of health. Calming Feliway works for the ones upstairs. The neutral cat was not present when the intruder was at the patio window. Only the "victim" cat had the bad luck of sitting next to her sister. This is called redirected aggression. The fights are traumatizing to all three. The new arrangement is working so far. The victim cat and neutral cat are bonding more. The sad thing is that the aggressor does not understand what happened. It is a totally unfair situation. The stray intruder has not been around. It is the worst for me at this point. My life has changed too. Any supportive or additional information/comments are welcome. Thanks.