Redirected aggression - very stressed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AndreaFiona

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone, I am back with a need for some advice or reassurance. Since I wrote last, things had progressed very well. The girls slowly graduated to loose together all day, even when I wasn’t home, and separate at night. We got really close to me leaving them loose together at night too. They seemed to have zero issues and were snuggling each other, grooming each other and playing.

Then on May 27 my third cat Tinker died at home in the early morning. That afternoon the girls had a their first incident in months. It wasn’t extreme but I did separate them. Two weeks later it happened again and just now it happened again. I assume the stress of losing Tinker is affecting them. In each of these 3 incidents, my back was turned but I suddenly heard very loud hissing. I turn around and Fiona is flying upstairs and Ivy is hot behind her all puffed up with dilated pupils. Each time this happens results in them being separated for a good 24 hours and you can tell Fiona recovers quickly but Ivy seems very riled and “off”.

I should mention each time Ivy chased Fiona, Fiona runs upstairs and Ivy chases but only so far. She stops at the stairs and doesn’t go up. However once I put Fiona in the basement to separate them, Ivy will sit and hiss at the door to the point where I put pillows to block the crack underneath.

The weirdest part of all this is literally 10 min prior they were sound asleep on my lap together after thoroughly grooming each other. I had gotten up to do a few chores when this happened today.

any advice or support? I appreciate your help.

AndreaFiona

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. This behavior has continued escalating and now the cats are totally separate once again. Weirdly they ate treats side by side no issues and then shared a wet food treat side by side. Immediately after Ivy looked up at Fiona and started hissing, to which Fiona hissed back and ran away.

Is my best bet here to start the introduction from scratch?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I somehow missed your earlier post about Tinker. RIP little guy (:hugs: :angel3:). I am pretty sure that has created an additional stressor on everyone, including you. I make mention of you, because you can have a big impact on your cats if you are having a time dealing with the loss of Tinker - which, no doubt, you are. I don't know about starting from total scratch, but certainly back things off a bit.

I apologize, as I briefly went back to re-read all the posts here, but wasn't sure you have looked through some of these articles already. Standard introduction issues is one of them, but, I am also including a few others in case they may have some information to help you. Sorry, for so many, and there are overlaps in some of them, but each has a point of their own.
Do Cats Mourn? – TheCatSite Articles
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles
Why Do Cats Attack? – TheCatSite Articles
Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do) – TheCatSite Articles

AndreaFiona

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I have just read through all these articles. The description of the territorial aggression in the article about introductions gone wrong is the exact description of what they are doing. Which is weird as they have always lived in this home together.

It’s so frustrating to me to have this backslide after we had done so well. And I find their behaviour odd. Why would they eat and sleep together and then begin hissing and posturing immediately after?

Tinker has been gone now for a month so I would hope they start to accept our new normal. Thank you for your condolences. She is missed everyday and I would give anything to have her back!

I’m going to go back to the step where they did not interact freely at all with each other and go from there I guess. i guess my main upset right now is thinking that they will never truly be integrated again and this is our new normal. 😭

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It’s so frustrating to me to have this backslide after we had done so well. And I find their behaviour odd. Why would they eat and sleep together and then begin hissing and posturing immediately after?
Do you ever have moments when you are kind of OK with Tinker's passing, and then others when everything just kind of 'wells up'? We don't know cats do the same thing, but we also don't know that they don't.
As sad as it sounds, have you done all that you can to remove Tinker's presence - as in scents and other things that might remind your other cats of her? Some cats may be like people, and are comforted by things of a missing companion - others, not so much, especially after some time has passed.