Reddish eyes in Ragdoll

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm fostering a Ragdoll (possibly mix) who has beautiful blue eyes. Oddly, though, when the light hits his eyes, and to an extent from some angels, the black center of the eye takes on a reddish tint and they almost look see-through. When the light hits his eyes right on his eyes glow red. It's actually a bit freaky sometimes :-). Is this something that is seen in other Ragdolls?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I havent thought on this so much earlier.  but I do think its normal.

Not a ragdoll trait, but a blue eye trait, them having less pigment than cats with other coloroured eyes

Something like that...

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yep totally agree with StefanZ.

It's not a ragdoll trait but any cat that has blue eyes. It's completely normal !

Like StefenZ says its something to do with blue eyes having less pigment than other colours so it doesn't reflect the light back.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I also agree with StefanZ;   it is a normal feature in blue eye cats - and people.  If you have an odd eye cat with one blue eye it will happen only in the blue eye.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy to hear it's normal. I almost thought about taking him to the vet to make sure his eyes are okay but I'd hate to spend $50 to have a completely normal feature examined. I so rarely have blue eyed cats or purebred cats so I don't know what's normal in them or not. The lack of pigment makes a lot of sense, though. His eyes are a very pale blue too.

I have to admit I was a bit freaked out when I first saw it. He was standing in a dark hallway with just a little light coming from another room and his eyes were glowing red. He looked like something out of a horror movie
. He's a very sweet and beautiful boy, though.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

I have to admit I was a bit freaked out when I first saw it. He was standing in a dark hallway with just a little light coming from another room and his eyes were glowing red. He looked like something out of a horror movie
. He's a very sweet and beautiful boy, though.
Wow, I didn't realize they did it other than with bright lights shining directly in!  I would have freaked out too.