Red Swollen Bottom

charking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Misty is a male about 10 years old. He has been healthy except for a severe bacterial infection that he has in one ear. He was on meds but has been off for some time.  I gave him some dry food that really upset his stomach and he got diarrhea pretty bad.  As usual I treated him with Pumpkin, he loves it and the stools are getting a bit firmer but his bottom is almost bleeding from the diarrhea.  He smelled so bad that I finally cleaned him down there with a mild soap and water.  I checked and he's eating has usual appetite and drinking lots of water which has always done. He is urinating ok and his trips to the litter box are much further apart.  Is there anything I can put on his bottom to help with the healing.  His stools are not bloody but the outside edge of his bottom has a slight amount of blood its so raw,  most likely from all the trips to the litter box  This just started and its been less than 24 hours.  I will take him into the vet but wanted to know what I might try at home.  Also is there anything safe I can put on him to help quell that awful smell.  It reminds of a very wet dogs fur... ( nothing against dogs ) but that wet smell they get.  I thought I might give him one more dose of pumpkin to make sure that the bowel is getting enough fiber.  He eats all his food, dry and wet. 

Thank you for your help.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Your poor guy, sounds like he's had a bad time of it and his bottom sounds very sore and iritated.  I'm glad you are taking him to the vet to get checked out but want to make sure he is as comfortable as he can be until you get there.

I would be careful about putting anything on to his skin around this bottom as it is very sensitive and a)what ever you use could iritate further, and b) he might be bothered by what you put on and lick the area iritating it more.  I know it is different but Mouse managed to tear the skin in this area when he was little and I was very worried it wouldn't heal, or would become infected because of the area injured.  The vet cleaned the wound just as you have, and then advised to just leave it to heal naturally, which it did.  Of course he did not have any signs of illness at the time, he was just being his usual daft self and jumping up without looking where he would land.

For the smell on his fur, are you smelling that he is still soiled and perhaps needs more of a wash, or is his fur still damp and that is why it is smelling?  With a previous cat I had, I bathed her as she has been ill with bladder inflamation and urine had got on to her fur.  Her fur was medium length and thick; it took a good couple of days for her to smell fresh and dried out.  She wouldn't go near anything like a hair dryer but it is worth trying to warm your cat and dry out any residual dampness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your most welcome advice>
The Pumpkin did the trick and his diarrhea is gone.
He started cleaning himself early this morning and for the most

part I can now breathe when he is near.  His bottom looks almost normal

He is urinating with no problem so it looks like he is on the mend. He was

begging for food this morning as usual.   He has a regular vet appt. on Friday

and  am sure now that he can wait .... he goes in to have his ear checked and

he also gets a laser treatment which is awesome with his old man back/spine

age related problems.  I think part of the problem he was not able to clean himself

with the back spine issue, he can't turn that way so once he gets his laser treatment

it should be easier for him to get around and keep himself clean again.

Thank you again. Misty thanks you too. 

Charlotte

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I wish Misty well with his forthcoming laser treatment.  The cat I mentioned above was a sweet old 'pensioner' cat by the time I gave her that bath, and too arthritic to clean herself so well acquainted with these issues.  No laser treatment for her in those days sadly, your guy is very lucky.   Good to hear he is looking better and smelling a bit sweeter too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks yes he is lucky and the laser treatments are really helping and the good thing is they do not need an appt. they only take about 5 minutes and its $25.00 per treatment.  The first treatment he was jumping up on the sofa within a hour.

So hopefully that will allow him to clean himself more easily.   I am going to give him one more syringe of pure pumpkin to make sure that the progress we have made continues.  Right now he is in his favorite position on his back, paw over eyes to keep out the light and peacefully sleeping and purring.

Thanks again for your caring.

Charlotte