Red sore booty

zozma

Stay at home cat mama
Kitten
Purraise
One of the kittens we took in has a deep red, swollen looking butthole (not sure what else to call it, sorry!) and it's also red and irritated looking on his tail above the hole, too. We have given him two baths with Palmolive in the past week to try and clean him up, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. Should we get something like diaper rash cream or something for it? For reference, he is a long haired kitten and he is 5 and a half weeks old.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would for sure get him checked out for a prolapsed rectum. In the meantime, you can use Desdryn (sp?) or other baby diaper rash formula to help with the swelling and irritation. I had a litter that had terrible diarrhea and this is what the vet recommended to help give them some relief. It did work really well, but they were checked to make sure it wasn't a prolapsed rectum first. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zozma

Stay at home cat mama
Kitten
Purraise
I wanted to update for the curious (because I hate when I find a story and there's no resolution). HE is a SHE and her name is Mira (a spin-off of her previous name, Boromir). This is her while we were waiting at the vet. All she had was irritation and I am happy to report that her bum is looking much better. The vet gave her a shot and then sent me home with antibiotics and an ointment. Her diarrhea has cleared up, too! Apparently her problem was diarrhea sticking to her hair and making a mess of her bottom. Even though we gave her baths, it didn't help much because she would sit in it between visits (we keep the kittens in a bathroom whenever we're not in the room so they don't get into things.) She should be adopted in a few weeks (she will be seven weeks in a couple of days) and I hope she finds a good home! If you know somebody in the Taft, California area who wants a kitten like this, let me know! <3

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update. I too hate when I don't get to hear the endings! So glad hers is a happy one!