Red Fox

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I saw a beautiful red fox on my deck eating some muffins I threw out for the raccoons. He acted like he was starving. This morning my neighbor told me that a friend of hers told her that dogs in our neighborhood were being attacked. Now I am worried that the fox may be attacking the dogs. Do they attack other animals? I don't want my neighbors thinking the foxes might have rabies. I don't want to stop feeding the animals.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rabies may be a concern, that depends on your area.

But usually foxes don't attack animals their size or larger. Foxes only weigh about 10 pounds under all that fluff and they generally don't want to get hurt by attacking a larger animal. They will take chickens and rabbits (and kittens and puppies, if the opportunity arises) but it would be very rare for a fox to take on an adult cat or dog, and any fox who tries that may be sick.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
But usually foxes don't attack animals their size or larger. Foxes only weigh about 10 pounds under all that fluff and they generally don't want to get hurt by attacking a larger animal.
I completely agree, we have foxes in our neighborhood too. I can remember walking with our dog and seeing a fox across the street. The fox stopped, stared and ran away. :running:

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Foxes are pretty small, they prefer to scavenge or get rodents, they don't really tussle with dogs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your replies. I am glad to know that foxes don't hurt dogs and cats. My cat attacked a raccoon this morning and that has me worried.

Coyotes have been seen in this area and I heard on the news last week a bear was seen about 20 miles from where I live. I would die if I ever look out in my back yard and saw a bear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you see if your cat escaped safely? :nervous:
Yes, Tommy got away safely. He growled at the raccoon and took a few swings at him. I threw a muffin at the raccoon and he picked it up and ran off with it. Tommy is part feral and he is always trying to chase off the coons.