Red Flags With Breeder

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
References are always a cr*p shoot - who is ever going to give you a referral to someone they know will provide a negative review. But I think that if you are not completely comfortable with her before you even acquire the kittens that this breeder could be awkward to work with, should you have issues with the kittens once they are home with you.

Be glad she'll refund the money. If she pushes for more references just say something has come up and you are not able to get kittens right now.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I also spoke with a CFA breeder who has been breeding Persians for 43 years, and she said that she would "never" adopt kittens from a breeder who wouldn't allow you into her cattery/home environment, because she may be hiding something, and the conditions that the kittens were raised in might be filthy and their health is not guaranteed.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? I respect your decision and you have to do what is right for you but if that was the criteria for NOT getting an animal from a breeder than very few animals would ever get a home.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are uncomfortable with a breeder DON'T work with them! I do have to say though that I can understand being hesitant to allow someone into your home. A friend of mine had a someone come to look at a cat and while she was busy with them, the customers friend stole another cat. The police tracked the cat down, but my friend was never able to recover the cat. My clients do come to my home, BUT it is when my husband is home. I never take kittens to a show to place. I require more than just meeting a person who wants a kitten before I trust them with my babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ASG1800

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are uncomfortable with a breeder DON'T work with them! I do have to say though that I can understand being hesitant to allow someone into your home. A friend of mine had a someone come to look at a cat and while she was busy with them, the customers friend stole another cat. The police tracked the cat down, but my friend was never able to recover the cat. My clients do come to my home, BUT it is when my husband is home. I never take kittens to a show to place. I require more than just meeting a person who wants a kitten before I trust them with my babies.
I get where you are coming from, and I respect that some breeders do not allow customers into their homes.. However, this breeder specifically mentioned "being reported to the authorities," which raised a red flag for me. I would've been fine if she said "I am wary of strangers coming to my home....." She also posted photos on Facebook of a kitten sitting next to an open fireplace, and another kitten surrounded by clutter and junk in her bedroom.. It just didn't sit right with me. I'm a very devoted cat owner, and I want to know that my kittens/cats are coming from a clean, nurturing environment. That's extremely important to me, especially given my experience with FIP and breeders who lie or do not keep their cats in humane conditions (I've witnessed this several times in the past).