Red bump on gum

linkybo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my son just adopted a 2 year old rescue cat and he's over grooming a bit, which is an issue, but not the biggest one. While at a new vet to check for some spots without fur, the vet did a dental check and said this tooth needs to be removed immediately at a cost of nearly $2,000. He doesn't have red gums anywhere else, just this one spot. So is this vet right? I've seen cats with red gum lines but not just one spot. Anyone else see this before?
otis tooth.jpg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's probably a tooth resorption, which would need to be taken out. The cost seems awfully high though. My cat just had a dental with extraction for resorption done last week and the cost was $1,100, but he is a senior so I opted for the best of the best package. Of course, it depends on where you are located. I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area.

If you tough that tooth, does the cat react i any way, like his mouth kind of "chatter"? If so, then that's pain and it definitely needs to come out. You can call around to other Vets to ask their prices for an extraction. Be sure to have them quote everything. When I looked at my bill just now it was broken down into about 7 different things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linkybo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's probably a tooth resorption, which would need to be taken out. The cost seems awfully high though. My cat just had a dental with extraction for resorption done last week and the cost was $1,100, but he is a senior so I opted for the best of the best package. Of course, it depends on where you are located. I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area.

If you tough that tooth, does the cat react i any way, like his mouth kind of "chatter"? If so, then that's pain and it definitely needs to come out. You can call around to other Vets to ask their prices for an extraction. Be sure to have them quote everything. When I looked at my bill just now it was broken down into about 7 different things.
Thanks for your thoughts! I was hoping since his gums look fine everywhere else, it was just a thing that would go away, but it sounds like we need to do some cost checks with other vets.