Recurring Fever 7 Month Kitten

remus07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

My 7 month male kitten started having daily fever ~40.0 temperature celsius almost every day for the past week. I've been to the vet multiple times, run bloodwork (cbc & bio tests) and nothing. He has no other symptoms except the lethargy but that may be the fever. Eats, drinks and the way food/water comes out is ok as well. Vaccines are up to date.

The only other thing is teething... fever started as soon as a big tooth came off and then he stopped the dry food intake. Found another little tooth yesterday.

Have you ever encountered such a case? Can it be teething ?
I am so worried.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm so sorry to hear this!
The combination of the timing of a big tooth coming out, fever and lethargy makes me wonder if you can find a different (possibly cat-only, although I don't know where you're located) vet?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. When you say a big tooth came out - are you meaning an adult tooth? If so, that does warrant a vet to look specifically at his mouth to see what might cause him to lose an adult tooth - crowding, mis-alignment...

While teething can cause a bit of a fever, the loss of that tooth is something to have checked out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

remus07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was not a permanent one. By big I meant a canine. By now all the permanent canines are developing nicely.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's good news! Generally, it is advised to have a vet check out all the new teeth to make sure there are no issues - usually by the time they are around the age of your kitten. I realize it sounds like you've been to the vet recently, but those teeth still should be looked at.

Did you call the vet to ask if they thought the temperature was about what would be expected with teething? Might not hurt to ask...

remus07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes told them all about it. I was today and last week 3 times to the vet.

He has antibiotic for the fever... Last pill tommorow.

I was asking here because the vet seems puzzled too. He checked teeth, listened to lungs and heart...etc. This is why I am worried... Do I have 1 in a million cat? Could be something I have overlooked ?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know why the vet is puzzled - other than if they think the reaction from your kitten with the fever and lethargy is more than they would expect from teething. Both of those can happen with teething, but I am not sure how normal it is. Did the vet prescribed anything for soothing the gums? That might help with the lethargy if the kitten is just tired from hurting so much.

I hope other members on this site will come along soon and offer more first hand experiences that might alleviate your concerns. Just be patient if you don't get more responses immediately!!

remus07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies! Will wait patiently.

remus07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fcov ab test positive. This vet said it is 90% FIP.

I am devastated...hope it is not...and he got it wrong. X-ray for the lungs and belly is next tommorrow. Hope for the best. :(((

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear this. There is another test that I think is supposed to be an even more accurate one than the one you had. (I believe the one you had done looks at the level of antibodies - the higher the level the more likely.)

Here is information on it, in case you want to see if this is one that was done. If not, you could ask your vet about it.
https://idexxcom-live-b02da1e51e754...c75ac/feline-infectious-peritonitis-virus.pdf

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fcov ab test positive. This vet said it is 90% FIP.

I am devastated...hope it is not...and he got it wrong. X-ray for the lungs and belly is next tommorrow. Hope for the best. :(((
I don't want to give you false hope, but the vast majority of cats is fcov positive. Is there any other finding supporting that diagnosis? Albumin/globulin ratio under 0.6? Low red cell count? Of course a persisting fever is indeed a classic symptom of FIP, but also of many other diseases. Do you have other cats? Does your cat come from a cattery/ multicat household?

remus07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has fluid ... And with the fcov positive... Is FIP.

Probably he had the fcov from cattery... Not sure of anything at the moment. He is so young... Why ?

Thank you for all the nice replies... I will try and hold it together and support him until the discomfort starts... And then.. I will probably do what is best for him.

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has fluid ... And with the fcov positive... Is FIP.

Probably he had the fcov from cattery... Not sure of anything at the moment. He is so young... Why ?

Thank you for all the nice replies... I will try and hold it together and support him until the discomfort starts... And then.. I will probably do what is best for him.
I am sorry, if fluid is present FIP becomes more likely. I know how you feel, I've lost a cat years ago from FIP. And he was young too, it's a disease that mainly affects kittens.
Yes, he almost certainly caught the virus in the cattery, you did nothing wrong of course and you could have done nothing to prevent this.
How long has he been with you?
Sending both of you an hug

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know how much you know about FIP - but below are several articles on it and also on a new clinical trial going on for treatment of FIP. I hope you find this information valuable and helpful. But, if it causes you to have additional questions, please feel free to ask.

The corona virus exists in a lot of cats - and may or may not mutate into FIP. Generally, kittens catch the virus itself and may have it mutate to FIP primarily due to their immune systems not yet being strong enough to ward it off. A lot of these cats have some other illness/diseases that compromises their immunity and can trigger the mutation. Most cats immune systems become strong enough to avoid mutation around 2 years old or so - that's just a general guideline, of course. Otherwise, it generally lies dormant for a cat's life time, or at least until they are much older when their immune system can become compromised (just like humans). I believe that is the case for both wet and dry FIP.

FIP - still a diagnostic challenge;Feline infectious peritonitis;corona virus (FCoV)

Cat FIP (Feline Infectious Peritonitis): Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments

FIP: Feline Infectious Peritonitis in Cats

Clinical Trial Shows Promise for FIP Treatment

Please keep posting, if you feel like it. And, certainly let us know about the upcoming test results.

remus07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sorry, if fluid is present FIP becomes more likely. I know how you feel, I've lost a cat years ago from FIP. And he was young too, it's a disease that mainly affects kittens.
Yes, he almost certainly caught the virus in the cattery, you did nothing wrong of course and you could have done nothing to prevent this.
How long has he been with you?
Sending both of you an hug
He is 7 months old ... 4 of which with me and the family. He received my best love and care ... or as much as I could. Maybe now, looking back, I could have strengthen his immunity earlier. Or checked for the virus...or whatever.

But for now all I can is...days off and sitting with him or sleeping near him. At least he is not alone. Hope it counts, after being the bad guy and taking him to vets and shots.