Recurring constipation, vets don’t seem to know why, appetite down

catlove615

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't read through all the replies, but the cat described by the OP could be mine. Same situation. I've been giving her Lactulose for about a year, with diminishing results. So I took her to a different vet, who suggested the high fiber dry GI food (made by RC). There may be other brands; I don't know. That was 2 weeks ago and she's going large amounts once daily (not diarrhea). I've been able to taper off the Lactulose completely. She's very picky about food, so it's very fortunately that she likes the GI dry food diet. Since the constipation resolved, she's been more active and has been eating better overall.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't read through all the replies, but the cat described by the OP could be mine. Same situation. I've been giving her Lactulose for about a year, with diminishing results. So I took her to a different vet, who suggested the high fiber dry GI food (made by RC). There may be other brands; I don't know. That was 2 weeks ago and she's going large amounts once daily (not diarrhea). I've been able to taper off the Lactulose completely. She's very picky about food, so it's very fortunately that she likes the GI dry food diet. Since the constipation resolved, she's been more active and has been eating better overall.
Now that’s very interesting - thanks! I have a bag of that food on hand, but Daisy’s been on and off about whether she wants it. I’ve heard good things about it - there was one admittedly minute study that had good results for cats with constipation (don’t recall if they had megacolon).

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m not sure about increasing the dosage - the Cisapride should be taking care of moving things along, shouldn’t it? I’ve seen wet poo stuck in her anus before, and reduced the dose by 1/16 teaspoon for a few days, but now am up to 1/4 teaspoon again.
Also I have nothing but a microwave for cooking pumpkin (tinned isn’t sold in Australia) and she eats very little wet food at a time, so I don’t know how effective it would be. Her dry food is high fibre grain free.
I don't have experience with that unfortunately. Hopefully another member can chime in. I can see from the fact sheet that it helps the bowels move...but if there isn't enough to be moved would it still pass things along efficiently? I don't know.

Those I know that give the pumpkin or sweet potato just give is as the 1/4 and offer as if it's a treat and they take it.

You can cook a sweet potato in the microwave on the potato setting 😋

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve heard of playing chicken, and playing yarn chicken, but this was playing vet chicken! Daisy’s been doing well on her Cisapride and Osmolax, with poos mostly around the 24 hour mark and a few shorter or longer intervals. Today, Saturday morning, she hadn’t done one since 1pm Thursday. Our vet opens at 8am and if you want to get the one spot they set aside for emergencies you need to ring on the dot. So, 7.57am I’m getting ready to call and then Miss Daisy goes to the litter and starts some serious digging and yes, at last, does a poo! 43 hours since the last. :happycat::poop: