Recurring Abscess in House Cat

KavKit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had a cat with a recurring abscess? My 13 year old kitty has gotten an abscess on her back right hip by her tail but not an anal gland. It happens every few months. She never goes outside. Indoor only. We only have one other pet, another cat and they don’t fight. I’ve taken her to the vet and all they do is send me home with a cone and antibiotics. They don’t even clean it half the time and the last time I took her they said they couldn’t see the wound to evaluate it because she kept trying to bite them. But they still won’t let any clients into their offices, we just drop the animals off and have to wait in our cars. I’m trying to find a new vet but I live in a very populated city and all the good vets offices are either not taking new clients or have huge waitlists.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh!
An abscess can become deeper if it isn’t drained and cleaned properly.
Definitely try to get another vet. Are there any emergency vets in your area?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KavKit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! I used Furballsmom Furballsmom recommended website and found a vet. We go tomorrow. I’m really just concerned as to why it recurs? Everything I see on the internet just says cat fights. But my girl gets the same open wound on the same spot every time. And as I said, she has never even set foot outside so I know it’s not from random alley cat brawls. Her last standard blood panel came back negative for whatever they test for. So I just don’t get it.