Recurrent ringworm

JacquieM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All. I’ve been reading pertinent posts over and over for a couple of months. My rescue cat came to me with ringworm. I cleaned like a maniac including going through two large bottles of Rescue spray, which veterinarians use in their practices against ringworm. I changed clothes every time I went in and out of the room he was sequestered in. As others have noted, this was awful because he was new to me. Not the best situation for our relationship, although I did spend 3 hours a day in there with him, plus visited frequently. I wore gloves and touched him a lot, but it wasn’t the same, as I’m sure you understand. Anyway, after oral medication which had been preceded by two weeks of topical terbafine, he was in the clear. I am just floored to have discovered that it is back. In the exact same spots around his ears. I feel like I am not going to do really any of the cleaning again, because I slaved over that for 6 weeks, and I’m definitely not sequestering him again. I also don’t wanna give him the oral medication again, because it’s not great for the liver. I agree with some others; vets are not particularly helpful with this. So far, I am just applying the topical prescription medication, and praying. At least it’s just me and Merlin in the house. The vet wants to do blood tests to check for an underlying disease that makes him more susceptible to ringworm. If I can get him there, I guess I will do that. She also wants to do another ringworm culture, which I think is a waste of my money, since it is obviously ringworm again.

I’d love to hear from people who have experienced recurrence of ringworm. Thank you so much.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry you are not getting any responses, there have been so many similar cases that I am surprised that no one has posted.

But I see that you were able to reach out to another member whose thread you saw and posted to, so that is good. (need advice for recurrent ringworm infection (multi cat) | TheCatSite).

I was going to do a search for you on this site, but I know you've already done that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JacquieM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have indeed searched and have read everything. Thank you; you’re a sweetheart to reach out. I’m surprised, too. But it’s okay.