Rectal Prolapse Help

Jmf2osix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi-

I joined be sure I often stumble upon this forum when researching various issues with my cats and find the content helpful. This is my first post and please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong area.

my cat Whisky (brown patched tabby and white purebred persian 8 onths old) has twice has prolapses. The first time was about 6 months of age and she had sergery, if you call it that which placed a purse string sutcher to keep everything in. She recovered well but 2 months later began having bad diareah which lasted for several days and I brought her into the vet 1 week before she ultimately ended up prolapsing a 2nd time. The vet did a parasite test and also checked for giardia and rhe tests we re negative.

The first time this happened was told that she likely had parasites and she was treated with a dewormer for 5 days however the test results never came back and I didnt seek them out as I fired this vet. When she prolapsed again I took her to the emergency hospital because i really like that team of doctors. They ended up doing a more axcurate test for parasites that looked for dna markers and these teats came back negative. A few days after her 2nd surgery whisky was still having diareah and i requested from the emergency clinic if they could provide me with a prescription for a food that wouldnt upset her digestion. They werent helpful and I wasnt able to get any special food for her so ive been feeding wer food by instinct their limited ingredient diet duck and pea. I add in about a teaspoon of pumkin puree and so probiotic goats milk powder and a half pump of salmon oil. Her stools have now become firm but shes still strain ing quite a bit. She still has her switcher in because I know she will prolapse again if it comes out but it eas suppose to be taken out at 10 days and its now been 14.

My problem is the vet i was suppose to go to tomorrow called today and needed to reschedule her appointment for the end of next week. This is a new vet and the receptionist wasnt very helpful in answerinf my queation can whisky keep this stitch in for a total of 21 days? I also need to get the awelling down in her rectum as i feel this is perhaps causing an issue and why shes having a hard time passing her stool. Or perhaps the sutcher is too tight.

A couple more details. One of the tests showed an abnormally high bacteria in her lower intestine. Not sure what this was from. But she was put on albon and metronidazole for 10 days. Also I gice her .5 to 1 cc of laculose 3 times a day to soften her stool. She usually never misses a meal but the last two days she has hardly eaten. And she hasnt gone to the bathroom a lot. Finally, she has scabs all over her body and that's why I suspect a food allergy of some kind.

I hope someone can offer me some advice on this situation that I can do to help her until I can get into the vet next week. Thank you.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If she's barely eating, having trouble eliminating, and having some sort of dermatological reaction, it sounds like she needs the vet ASAP. I would take her back to the emergency vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jmf2osix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have an appointment tomorrow at 9am. She is having quite a bit of gas tonight and straining so I am going to call the emergency hospital and ask them if they think I should bring her in or if i should hold off for 10 more hours until her appointment with my vet. Thanks for your feedback.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jmf2osix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the delay. Well, as it turns out, whisky prolapsed for a 3rd time. Before I could get her to my normal vet. Tue emergency took out the old purse string and put in another and sent me home with a low digestion wet food by iams. The following Monday I went in to my normal vet and she put her on wet z/d by Hill's and also a short course of steroids to relieve the inflamation. She also significantly lowered the laculose dosage which may have been the reason she kept having problems. The dosage she was on was really high and it just made her have diarrhea. I'm happy to report that whisky for the first time since this all began two months ago has finally vebtured out of her pop up kennel to run around and play. Shes having always loved to eat and that continues today. I hope that she stays strong and we can get her to a place where she can keep her intact once the stitch is removed. Thanks for your help!

Let us know what happens at the vets. Thanks.