Recs for a mild shampoo that's safe to use around mouth?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our kitty with FIV requires at least one assist feeding every day, as well as his twice daily med/supplement cocktails via syringe. So I've been using a toddler toothbrush and a teeny-tiny bit of Dawn (the "original" Non-Concentrated Simply Clean) to keep his chin clean. Otherwise, he's extremely prone to developing skin infections that can quickly get out of hand, and are difficult for him to shake off.

But I haven't been able to find any of the non-concentrated Dawn in ages, and he doesn't tolerate the Dawn Ultra very well, even when I dilute it.

Any suggestions for a suitable alternative? Halp! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try an unscented baby shampoo.
Cool! I've give that another try. Thanks! :)

The last time I bought some Johnson's Baby Shampoo, it smelled a bit strong to me. But since Buddy's sense of smell is pretty much shot, I guess that doesn't really matter as far as he's concerned. :wink:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr. Bronner's unscented liquid soap.
Oooh, thanks bunches!

Is this baby unscented formula the one you mean?

And just curious, does the hemp oil in the shampoo help to alleviate dry skin itchiness? Bless his heart, I think sometimes I might get a little overzealous when rinsing Buddy's chin to try to make sure there isn't any soapy residue left, and I'm probably drying out his skin something fierce. :paperbag:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, it is the unscented formula. I am not sure what it might do for dry skin, but I have not had any issue with using it. I used it for 2 years to clean the rear end of a cat with diabetic neuropathy who had trouble cleaning herself due to weight and disability.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Cool! I've give that another try. Thanks! :)

The last time I bought some Johnson's Baby Shampoo, it smelled a bit strong to me. But since Buddy's sense of smell is pretty much shot, I guess that doesn't really matter as far as he's concerned. :wink:
You have to check the Johnson's Baby Shampoo to make sure it's the original unscented. They make quite a few with scents and other additives.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to check the Johnson's Baby Shampoo to make sure it's the original unscented. They make quite a few with scents and other additives.
Thanks for the heads up!

I guess I'm glad companies offer multiple options for certain products. Different strokes for different folks (and cats), or something like that. But dang it, I'm old, and it was so much easier when you just had to look for a specific item on the shelf, without having to read a bunch of labels to make sure you got the right one. :lol: