Recs for a good OTC anti-inflammatory remedy for chronic neck and back pain?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've recently learned that long-term use of OTC anti-inflammatory meds such as Aleve probably isn't a good idea, as it's now believed that it can increase the risk of a heart attack or stroke. So I'm trying to find an effective OTC remedy as an alternative for my chronic neck and back pain.

My neurologist suggested magnesium, and it does help re: the muscle spasms. But it doesn't do a darn thing to help with the inflammation. Turmeric was also suggested as a possibility, but I'm not too keen on the idea since I've inherited my family's tendency to bruise and bleed like crazy.

Do y'all have any suggestions? For what it's worth, I live in Texas, so some possible remedies aren't legal yet. :wink:

Oh, and has anyone tried something like a ThermaComfort neck and shoulder wrap, and if so, how did it work out? I used to have a neck wrap that had a battery operated massage thingy, and it helped a lot. But it finally bit the dust, and I haven't found a good replacement for it yet.

Thanks much!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
CBD oil (not marijuana based but hemp based) is legal in all states. I recommend either 4 corners or imbue as both ones who do lab testing on their products. My Mom uses a lotion for her arthritis and I give my cat an oil in his meals for the same. CBD has anti inflammatory functions and without the THC there are no psychoactive effects. Just check with your doctor for possible interactions if you are on other medications.

Cannabidiol (CBD) — what we know and what we don’t - Harvard Health Blog

As an entry from Harvard health what I get from the above is it may help and people report it helping. Because of the legalities of marijuana and limited research related to that there isnt enough research for medical sources to say yes it does work but there also isnt anything to say it doesn't work. Just be careful where you get it and dont just buy it anywhere. Which is why I only shop for companies that provide lab testing (or dispensary since marijuana is legal where I am but not an option in Texas). There can be side effects but my Mom has never reported any but she does just do topical. I haven't noticed any nausea or upset stomach for my cat but he also gets the lowest dose I can give and see results (since there are no dosing guidelines its trial and error and I started with the absolute smallest dose until I saw a change).

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CBD oil (not marijuana based but hemp based) is legal in all states. I recommend either 4 corners or imbue as both ones who do lab testing on their products. My Mom uses a lotion for her arthritis and I give my cat an oil in his meals for the same. CBD has anti inflammatory functions and without the THC there are no psychoactive effects. Just check with your doctor for possible interactions if you are on other medications.

Cannabidiol (CBD) — what we know and what we don’t - Harvard Health Blog

As an entry from Harvard health what I get from the above is it may help and people report it helping. Because of the legalities of marijuana and limited research related to that there isnt enough research for medical sources to say yes it does work but there also isnt anything to say it doesn't work. Just be careful where you get it and dont just buy it anywhere. Which is why I only shop for companies that provide lab testing (or dispensary since marijuana is legal where I am but not an option in Texas). There can be side effects but my Mom has never reported any but she does just do topical. I haven't noticed any nausea or upset stomach for my cat but he also gets the lowest dose I can give and see results (since there are no dosing guidelines its trial and error and I started with the absolute smallest dose until I saw a change).
Awesome! Thanks. :)

To borrow a phrase from Fox Mulder, "I want to believe." Sometimes I think things help because I choose to believe they can, whether or not there's a real honest-to-goodness scientific basis for it. :wink:

A guy I know recommended The Trusted Lab as a good source for CBD oil that's legal in our neck of the woods. But I have to confess, I was a little skeptical when I saw that they even have a version that's pumpkin spice flavored. Hee!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in the hospital, they recommended BioFreeze. I bought a tube from Walmart, but I never used it, since my back pain went away when I lost weight.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take a long tube sock or hosiery, fill with uncooked rice or dried beans, knot close, heat in microwave until toasty warm. Wrap around neck or whatever body parts needs help. A lot cheaper than buying something similar :)

Biofreeze has a very strong minty / camphor smell. It might be off putting to others if you work, go shopping, etc.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in the hospital, they recommended BioFreeze. I bought a tube from Walmart, but I never used it, since my back pain went away when I lost weight.
Huh. I've never heard of that. You learn something new every day. Thanks! :)

I have tried stuff like Mineral Ice, which kinda sorta helped to keep the pain at bay. It also kept everyone around me at bay, too. :lol:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a long tube sock or hosiery, fill with uncooked rice or dried beans, knot close, heat in microwave until toasty warm. Wrap around neck or whatever body parts needs help. A lot cheaper than buying something similar :)

Biofreeze has a very strong minty / camphor smell. It might be off putting to others if you work, go shopping, etc.
Oooh, sounds like a DIY version of my trusty old Bed Buddy. Cool! I'll definitely give that a try. Thanks oodles!

A heating pad can be helpful if it's just my lower back that's bothering me. Unfortunately, it's my neck that gives me the most fits, and a homemade Bed Buddy or my inflatable cervical collar is so much more convenient since I don't have to be tethered to an electrical outlet. :wink:

Thanks for the heads up about the Biofreeze. I personally don't have a problem with the smell re: that sort of thing, but some family members do, so it's good to be forewarned. :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Look online at TENS units. It is a pad you put on your sore area with wires that go to a battery pack you can stick in a pocket that operates it and electronically blocks the pain. These have been around a long time for chronic pain but used to be much more expensive and prescribed. Now you can buy them in Amazon and they do work even for strong pain.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Squee!!!!! :yess:

Thanks ever so much for the info, susanm9006 susanm9006 ! I had looked into the possibility of getting a TENS unit ages ago after my first accident that messed up my neck, but they were insanely expensive back then. I just looked it up at Amazon, and some of the units are about the same price as a good heating pad. Looks like Santa is going to come a bit early this year. Thanks again! :heartshape:

Edited because I was so excited, I forgot to submit this as a reply. Hee!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Squee!!!!! :yess:

Thanks ever so much for the info, susanm9006 susanm9006 ! I had looked into the possibility of getting a TENS unit ages ago after my first accident that messed up my neck, but they were insanely expensive back then. I just looked it up at Amazon, and some of the units are about the same price as a good heating pad. Looks like Santa is going to come a bit early this year. Thanks again! :heartshape:

Edited because I was so excited, I forgot to submit this as a reply. Hee!
It’s crazy isn’t it? My mom has had one for many years and they used to be extremely expensive.