Recovery From Pu Surgery

stephaniedavis4561

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1 year old cat Percy has really had a rough time. Went through the urinary blockage that could not be unblocked. Decided to get the surgery. He had alot of bruising and swelling post surgery - was at the vet for 2 days after. They sent him home to us, no pee, back to the vet for 4 more days. We are at a week post op and have finally gotten him back. The vet said he was doing great.
We have 5 other cats, including his brother. He has to be isolated from them. We bought this large cage an put him in it with a litter box with the special litter. He obviously does not want to be in there, because he is feeling better. We have to keep him jumping. All rooms in my house have something he can jump on. So, other than putting him in a cage, I do not know what other options I have for him.
If you can give me any ideas, I would appreciate it. I want to keep him safe while he heals. He is a very vocal cat and is meowing alot. I just want too much I think.
Thank you in advance.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor Percy, and poor you! The good news is that this surgery, once the recovery period is over, will make his life much better! The bad news is that he is going to drive you crazy for awhile. There really isn't a lot you can do, since every room has something for him to jump on. To make him happier in his crate, you might try giving him 1-3 teaspoonfulls of chilled chamomile tea via syringe, up to 3 times a day. It is gently calming without being an actual sedative. LOL, you might want to drink a cup, hot with honey, yourself!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephaniedavis4561

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor Percy, and poor you! The good news is that this surgery, once the recovery period is over, will make his life much better! The bad news is that he is going to drive you crazy for awhile. There really isn't a lot you can do, since every room has something for him to jump on. To make him happier in his crate, you might try giving him 1-3 teaspoonfulls of chilled chamomile tea via syringe, up to 3 times a day. It is gently calming without being an actual sedative. LOL, you might want to drink a cup, hot with honey, yourself!

Thank you for the advise. As they always say, this too shall pass!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you and Percy have gone through this. My boy had PU so I know how scary it is.

Is it possible to clear a small area for him so that he doesn't have to be in a cage? Move furniture, etc? It just would be great if he didn't have to have the cage, but I totally understand about you needing to prevent him from jumping.

If not, I would look on Chewy.com or Drsfostersmith.com for a pet "playpen", the largest size. However, he might be healed by the time you receive it.

Your boy will be okay! Sometimes PU is the only way to go. I don't remember how long my boy stayed at the vet, but I do remember him recovering in the small guest bathroom when we got home. To my knowledge, he did not attempt to just onto the sink (he had the Cone of Shame on, so was probably hard to jump). Of course, that doesn't mean Percy won't try to jump.

:vibes::goodluck:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Tom had his surgery, we had zero complications, but we do have three other cats. We closed off the living room and had him living on the loveseat, on a white sheet, wearing his cone. He came home the day after his surgery, and would pee once a day. What he feared was pooping with the new plumbing. After two weeks, the surgeon took out his stitches, but we left his cone on for another two weeks, and we opened the living room back up. All cats mingle while he swayed his head side to side, navigating his world with the cone on so he wouldn't chew his nethers.
When he was on living room lockdown, there was nothing any higher than the couch for him to jump on. After his first week, he would jump from the loveseat to the couch to come over and sit with his mom and dad because he was done being bored and all the pain killers were out of his system.