Recovery after extractions?

writingislove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Winston is 10 and last week, he had 12 teeth extracted—combo of a few unsalvageable bad teeth plus some tooth resorption.

It’s been 7 days now and he’s acting like himself, in good spirits, eating, drinking, fighting with the other cat 😹 etc.

However, occasionally I still find him with his mouth slightly open (not hanging open, but lips parted) or even sometimes his tongue is poking out.

When I peek in his mouth, his gums look pretty good. Nothing looks alarming. He doesn’t appear to be in any pain. I asked two days ago if his tongue sticking out was normal, and the vet assistant said yes. But now that it’s still going on a week out from surgery, I’m wondering if it is indeed normal. Could it still just be him adjusting to his new mouth? Or even just from all the sutures that’s are in there?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our boy only had his one canine removed and his tongue kept peeking out all the time, for several weeks. Even now, sometimes when he's sleeping and totally relaxed his tongue peeks out just a bit. He would often flick his tongue in and out when the stitches were still there and even after (including now) he'll flick his tongue around when his lip gets tucked in. And like I said that was for only ONE tooth...although a big one. So I can imagine it will take some getting used to with 12 teeth taken out.
If he's eating and playing and all around doing great, I wouldn't worry too much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

writingislove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jen, thank you! That’s very reassuring. I’m sure his mouth feels so different with almost half his teeth gone! Good to know it’s not just him with the tongue, though.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how anyone here/online could offer any definitive answer to you.....certainly, IMO, that shouldn't happen.

It could be any number of things behind/causing what you're seeing, including issues that need to be addressed medically/surgically.

I've always has re-checks, re-examinations 'built in' with all dental surgeries.....and, it's 'paid off' when, in one case it was discovered that some of the stitching had become undone.

There are any number of complications that can occur postoperatively, and honestly, do consider arranging for a recheck to ensure everything's healing as it should!

Take a look: Dental Extraction for Cats - Complications

BTW, I've never been charged for those rechecks.