Recovering cat personality change

dcarroll633

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 18 month old male cat who about a week ago suddenly got sick. After a trip to the ER and our normal vet the best guess was he had a UTI. He was given antibiotics and some pain meds. He is almost back to 100%, but he is not as affectionate as he was prior to getting sick. Should I be concerned?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Maybe not too concerned yet, he's been through a lot. If he doesn't come back around to his usual self soon, within another day or so, you may want to talk with your vet, or perhaps find a different vet? Have you had a chance to start giving him canned food, if you aren't already?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sick - like what was he doing that you are calling 'sick'? Did the vet test his urine (urinalysis) to determine it really was a UTI? Did they also do a urine culture to see what kind of bacteria was causing the infection? If it was just their 'best guess', there could be something else wrong with him that is not being fully addressed with the antibiotics and pain meds. Additionally, if a urine culture is not done, then the most effective antibiotic isn't identified and while it does help with a UTI, it may not get rid of it fully. Also, did the vet think he has urinary crystals? In male cats, that can become problematic, causing blockage in the urethra, which can turn into a life threatening situation.

It would seem to me that he is still not feeling well and is therefore less affectionate than normal because of that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dcarroll633

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The ER did blood tests, Xray, and ultrasound. Vet could not take a urine sample because his bladder was empty, she however is a fantastic vet. When I say sick, he presented with extremely pungent, musty urine, lethargy, dehydration, and the first night he was vomiting. Both the ER and our vet also gave subcutaneous fluids. I have had 2 cats in the past who had crystals, he isn't struggling to pee and there is no blood in his urine. As far as food, yes he is eating canned food again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is all good news! I hope you weren't offended by my questions - that was not my intent! Normally, a follow up urinalysis is done once the antibiotics have been completed - usually about 2 weeks afterward. I sure hope by then he is feeling much better, and the urinalysis shows the infection has been eradicated. I have to believe that once he is feeling normal again that his old affectionate self with shine through!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
...do you have good quality water? Would filtered water help? Brita, pur...

dcarroll633

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was not offended at all, it's almost impossible to offend me. I too hope he is back to his normal self soon. He is the most affectionate cat (with my wife) that I have ever met. He is very sweet with me and all our animals, but he is a momma's boy. He actually hugs her neck all the time. He is special needs and our vet told us he would probably always have a somewhat weak immune system due to the situation he was rescued from. Thank you for your advice and well wishes. Here is a picture of him, Alastor.

Attachments

dcarroll633

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is, sorry you had to endure my mug in the one shot. He definitely knows he is a rescue. He has about 30-40% vision, but he doesn't let it slow him down. He occasionally misses jumps and we buy him baseball size cat balls to play with, he tends to have a hard time keeping his eye on the smaller ones.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
He sure is one cute little dude!

This is only my opinion.

Being a rescue cat means that trust probably doesn't come easy for him. By going to the vet for this very necessary treatment he has probably lost some of his trust for his human family. You know cats, they don't see medical intervention as a good thing. He will get over himself and you will have your loving boy back. Just keep loving and babying him.