Recommendations for cat trees for LARGE cats?

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been looking to buy a new cat tree for my 3 cats. I have 2 Mainecoon mixes and a Norwegian Forest cat.

They are getting too big for the cat tree they have now, and its sad because they used to love the top perch (which is 12"×12") but now they don't go up there because they don't fit. The only one who fits up there is the Norwegian Forest cat, and the only reason he fits is because he's still a kitten. I know he won't fit up there much longer though.

I've looked on Armarkat and there were only a few with large cubbies/perches. I know you can purchase large perches as add ons, but they're $39 each, which is pricy when you're also buying a cat tree. Not to mention that you'd have to get rid of the original perches/cubbies that come with the tree, which seems like a waste.

So does anyone know of any online stores/stores that sell cat trees for large cats?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I've been looking to buy a new cat tree for my 3 cats. I have 2 Mainecoon mixes and a Norwegian Forest cat.

They are getting too big for the cat tree they have now, and its sad because they used to love the top perch (which is 12"×12") but now they don't go up there because they don't fit. The only one who fits up there is the Norwegian Forest cat, and the only reason he fits is because he's still a kitten. I know he won't fit up there much longer though.

I've looked on Armarkat and there were only a few with large cubbies/perches. I know you can purchase large perches as add ons, but they're $39 each, which is pricy when you're also buying a cat tree. Not to mention that you'd have to get rid of the original perches/cubbies that come with the tree, which seems like a waste.

So does anyone know of any online stores/stores that sell cat trees for large cats?
   As the mom of 18 pound Paul, I'll be very interested to read any recommendations you get!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I have several large kitties...13.5 to 18.5 lbs. My absolute favorite tree that I have bought is the Kitty Mansions Amazon tree. It is sturdy and doesn't wobble, even when my biggest boy jumps on and off. The perches and bottom house are large enough for my boys to lounge. My biggest boy likes to sprawl out on top of the top condo.

The next tree I purchase will be the Kitty Mansions Big Horn tree.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a tree by Amarkat and it fits my 11lb cat fairly well, but it wouldn't work for your larger cat. Not sure where you are, but Exotic Cat Jungles out of Madison, WI makes fantastic trees. You could fit a 40lb dog on those babies no problem! 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I knew what kind it was, but my cat tree holds Maple pretty well (she's 17 lbs). I'll have to see if I can find that receipt.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't gotten it yet, but I've been thinking about this cat tree: 
I like that the top platform looks so big, because my 13 lb cat likes to spread out. It doesn't have a ton of reviews yet, though, so I'm not entirely sure.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Just a note about the above tree. The posts on most Go Pet Club trees are skinny. Like 2-2.5 inches thick. The tunnels are also not going to be able to be used by a media or large cat. They're pretty much kitten-sized. (Our petite 5.5 lb adult female fills the tunnel up.) I don't have this particular model, just familiar with trees by this company.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
catpack catpack

I was thinking of getting the amazon cat tree. In fact, I would LOVE to, but unfortunately it's 4 ft long and I don't have the floor space for that. And the "Mini Amazon" one is too small!

I only have about 2ft by 3 to 3 1/2 feet to work with. I live in a pretty small house so floor space is limited. So the reef would have to be tall with a fairly small footprint.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
cinqchats cinqchats

Unfortunately I live in indiana. So I'm waaay too far away from that store. Their trees look really nice. I wish they shipped :( If I could have it shipped to my house I would buy one in a heartbeat.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
molly92 molly92

I've heard bad things about go pet club trees. Many people seem to think that they are poorly made so I'm trying to stay away from those trees. My cats are active and rowdy (especially my Norwegian Forest cat kitten, Tesla) and I don't want to buy something that is poorly made and will fall apart or break if they run/jump/play on it.

I wouldn't be so worried about those trees if I had small or average sized cats, but since I have 2 Mainecoon mixes (both around 14 or 15 pounds without an ounce of fat on them) and a soon-to-be very large Norwegian Forest cat- I have to be very careful choosing a tree that is sturdy enough for them to play on as well as big enough for them to lounge on.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is a photo of my current cat tree as a reference for how much space I have. That's the kitten laying on the top perch :)

And here's one of the top perch from above. Keep in mind, he is only 4 months old, so he will quickly outgrow this tree. :/

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
catpack catpack

Oh wow thanks for the recommendations! I just bought the Kitty Mansions Mount Hood one!

It says it has the widest baskets they offer and the thickest, strongest posts they offer, plus it's really tall and has the exact dimentions around the base as the small tree I have now!

I was surprised I had never seen that model before, but I guess it's out of stock on the Kitty Mansions website. I ended up buying it from a different site (cattreefactory.com) for a cheaper price (even after having to pay for shipping).

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Let me know how you like the Mount Hood tree! It's one I am considering buying myself (along with the KM Big Horn tree.) I opted for a cat wheel (http://onefastcat.com) for my most recent purchase.

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Molly's and Friends is a really good brand.  Sturdy and large perching areas.  I have one of their two tiered ones.  This one would be good for 3 kitties.

This one looks good too.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
kittyluv387 kittyluv387

Thank you for your suggestions :) I had looked through the Molly and friends entire inventory and nothing was really catching my eye. They trees looked a bit boring in my opinion + the ones I wanted were out of my price range.

I did end up buying this one:

It's the Mount Hood model from Kitty Mansions. The baskets are 15 inches in diameter and the box/ cave is 24 inches long by 13 inches wide. All the posts are 4.7 inches in diameter to provide more stability. I also like that there is a large platform near the top that they can spread out on. The fact that it can be fitted to the height of my ceiling is also a plus since it is so tall, and bracing it against the ceiling will give the whole thing much more stability.

http://www.cattreefactory.com/products/mount-hood

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah i can see why you would think its boring. It is a very simple design. I like trees where you dont have to jump so high to get to the first level and to the next because i want them to be able to jump to the perches even when they are seniors. Although there will be a point when they cant jump at all.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
kittyluv387 kittyluv387

Yeah, that's a good point. About old kitties not jumping so high. All of my cats are young (oldest is 3,the next one is almost 2 and then I have a 4 month old kitten) and they are definitely "Tree cats". They like being up really high. And with my current tree being so small, they no longer fit on the top perch (which is also not very high up). I like that the new tree I bought is very tall and there are places for all of them to sleep/hang out/play.

If this tree lasts until they are seniors and they have a hard time getting around on it, I'll probably just end up dismantling it and putting it in storage before investing in a new tree (I may not even buy a new one if they are so old that they have a hard time jumping).

I feel like if I would have gotten one of the ones I was thinking about getting from Molly and Friends (the skyscraper, the Pinnacle and the Alleyway models) I would never see more than 1 or 2 of them on it at the same time because the platforms are arranged in such a way that there are really only a few ways a cat would be able to climb to the top, and if one of the other cats was sleeping on one of the platforms while another was trying to climb up or down the tree, the one that is climbing would more than likely have to disturb the one that is sleeping in order to get to where they want to be.

Of course, that could be an issue with any cat tree really, but it's less likely when the beds/baskets are raised away from the platforms. And I think with the tree I bought, they will all have a place to hang out on the tree if they want. I could see them fighting over the top basket and platform though haha.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
catpack catpack

I'll reply on this forum and give you a little review of it after I've recieved it and set it up. I have a feeling that the cats are going to be climbing on it as I'm trying to put it up. It probably won't take long before they make themselves comfortable on the new tree haha.