Recommendations For Barrier To Keep Cats Seperate

Frank123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It looks like I'll soon be adopting a 12 week old male kitten to join my 2 year old resident female cat whom I've had for almost two years.
The new kitten will initially be isolated in a separate room. I plan on doing a gradual introduction starting with scent swapping.
Eventually it will get to a point where they will have to see each other face to face separated by some sort of barrier. For those who have gone through this experience, what sort of barrier or gate did you use.
I'm looking for something that is pressure mounted rather than hardware mounted and will fit the average size door frame. My concern is that it be high enough so my resident cat can't jump over it. Also while I would like something sturdy, since I'll only be using it for a short while I don't won't to spend a ton of money on it.
Thank you.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go ahead and zoom into the doorway. That’s wire shelving stood up on end. I zip-tied the shelves together to build a folding gate. I put felt on the bottom so I’m not scratching the floor. I secured the gate with hooks I screwed into the wall. Hooks to keep the gate folded and hooks on the other end to secure the gate when it’s drawn. Even at this height, my Krista can jump it. She jumps to the top and then on over. But I think if you put something like rollers on the top, something that resident cat can’t get traction, I don’t think resident will hurdle that.
145BBCAA-0E17-4FA2-B6CA-7D744D9CABDD.jpeg

A barfing Krista doesn’t jump that gate. I used to confine her to “cat jail” until she was feeling well enough to bust out. Now that we’ve got her IBD well sorted out these days, I don’t have much occasion to use cat jail anymore. I also don’t mind as much since I bought the Bissell Pet Stain Eraser handheld.

Last edited: