Recommendations For A Good Fountain?

Gizmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was using the Catit flower fountain for a while, but then I just started filling plates with gallon spring water as it was easier and I could keep it fresh by just pouring out the old water and pouring new water in once in the morning and once at night. But then I came across the Drinkwell Hy-drate which is just a little pump + filter that can be attached to any bowl and have been using that in a glass pie pan because its easier to clean than an entire fountain. My only problem with it is it doesn't filter the water very well, and I want to make sure Gizmo is drinking fresh and clean water.

My question is: Do any of you know of a good cat fountain that's easy to clean but filters the water really well and keeps it fresh? Preferably one that's main parts can be washed in a dishwasher? I'm willing to splurge if needed!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was using the Catit flower fountain for a while, but then I just started filling plates with gallon spring water as it was easier and I could keep it fresh by just pouring out the old water and pouring new water in once in the morning and once at night. But then I came across the Drinkwell Hy-drate which is just a little pump + filter that can be attached to any bowl and have been using that in a glass pie pan because its easier to clean than an entire fountain. My only problem with it is it doesn't filter the water very well, and I want to make sure Gizmo is drinking fresh and clean water.

My question is: Do any of you know of a good cat fountain that's easy to clean but filters the water really well and keeps it fresh? Preferably one that's main parts can be washed in a dishwasher? I'm willing to splurge if needed!
We have the basic Drinkwell "Pet" Fountain and IMHO it does what you ask. We're on our second one of these. They've improved the parts to be easier to clean, disassemble and re-assemble, and yes, it's plastic, but it holds up really well. I handwash all my dishes, so I have no idea how it would do in a dishwasher.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Drinkwell Multi-tier. It is plastic but BPA free. Everything is dishwasher safe except the pump. My cats love it.
Drinkwell Multi-Tier Pet Fountain
Wow! That's a really nice-looking fountain at a great price! We're not in the market for a new one, but it's great to see something that nice for that price!

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used the Drinkwell plastic fountain for years, but my last cat had some chin acne that my vet said could be caused by many things, including plastic. So I bought a Drinkwell ceramic fountain. It's fine but more 'fragile' (I'm petrified of dropping it when cleaning) and more difficult to clean (2 filters). But I will continue to use it because I think it's better for the cat.

Burlews

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After a ton of research years ago I bought 1 at wal-mart for $11 and it was perfect.. At first I didn't use it all the time because I was afraid itd overheat, or electrocute them, or they'd be afraid of sound or any other fear I could come up with.. But it was perfect, quiet, they loved it.. I very seldom had to clean it because the running water kept it clean and looking good and I would wash bowl daily and add new water daily (I can't remember how often but I know it was no stress and few minutes work.. Not major).. I also got a other 1 (I had 4 cats and a dog) at a yard sale for $3 or $4 brand new and was fine. I still always kept a couple big fresh bowls of water for them as well as the fountains.. Ill try to find brand names. But I know it can be achieved for under $20

Burlews

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After a ton of research years ago I bought 1 at wal-mart for $11 and it was perfect.. At first I didn't use it all the time because I was afraid itd overheat, or electrocute them, or they'd be afraid of sound or any other fear I could come up with.. But it was perfect, quiet, they loved it.. I very seldom had to clean it because the running water kept it clean and looking good and I would wash bowl daily and add new water daily (I can't remember how often but I know it was no stress and few minutes work.. Not major).. I also got a other 1 (I had 4 cats and a dog) at a yard sale for $3 or $4 brand new and was fine. I still always kept a couple big fresh bowls of water for them as well as the fountains.. Ill try to find brand names. But I know it can be achieved for under $20
Also a concern I found out about was trying not to have them eat or drink from plastic because itd cause a couple of them to break out on chin and sores.. Also harbors bacteria in scratches we can't even see in plastics.. So my mom always told me glass is best.. Wash bowl daily and glass.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is this easy to clean? I have Cate Mate 2 their. The top comes off and the cord. Only pieces to wash besides the fountain
Yes it is. The top tier comes off and the pump and filter are underneath that. Then you just put the two fountain pieces in the dishwasher and handwash the pump.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After using, and cleaning, fountains for years, I found my cats actually drink more if you just set clean bowls of water around in unexpected places and change their location once in a while.It peaks their interest, especially if they think they aren't supposed to drink out of it. I dump, wipe out and refill them daily, and I hear one drinking now from the one I just set in the sunroom by the patio door!