1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash cayenne pepper
1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
1 large onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 to 3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon sugar

Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place the beans in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.

Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to the pan; add cold water, carrot, garlic, chili powder, salt and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until beans are almost tender.

In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the corn, onion and green pepper until tender. Add to the bean mixture. Cover and cook for 45 minutes.

Stir in the tomatoes, vinegar and sugar. Cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Corn and Pepper Chowder

1 large onion, chopped
1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
1 tsp. canola oil
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
2 cups water
1-1/3 cups cubed potatoes
1 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. white pepper
2 cups frozen corn
1 can (12 oz.) fat-free evaporated milk
1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro or parsley

In a saucepan, saute onion and red papper in oil until tender. Stir in flour, and cumin until blended. Gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Reduce heat and add potatoes, bouillon, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add corn and milk. Cook, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Garnish with the cilantro or parsley. Makes 6 servings.

NOTE: This is a good chowder and it's pretty quick to make. Don't forget your favorite muffins!
google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
From 50 Chowders by Jason White.

Potato Chowder with Cheddar Cheese

4 oz. slab bacon, rind removed and cut into 1/3-inch dice
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 large onion, cut into 3/4-inch dice
3 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
1 tsp. Coleman's dry English mustard
1-1/2 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice
3 cups chicken stock
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
Freshly ground black pepper
Kosher or sea salt
6 oz. Vermont or other sharp white Cheddar cheese
Tabasco sauce, optional
Garnish: 4 scallions, thinly sliced

Heat a 3-4 quart heavy stockpot over low heat and add the bacon. Once it has rendered a few tablespoons of fat, increase the heat to medium and cook until the bacon is crisp and golden brown. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat, leaving the bacon in the pot.

Add the butter, onion, and sage, and saute, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, for about 6-8 minutes, until the onion is tender, but not browned. Stir in the dry mustard and cook for one minute more.

Add the potatoes and stock, turn up the heat, cover, and boil vigorously for about 12 minutes or until the potatoes are tender on the outside, but still firm in the center. Use the back of your spoon to smach a bit of the potatoes against the side of the pot. Cook for 2 minutes more to release their starch.

Remove the chowder from the heat and stir in the cream. Season with pepper, then underseason with a little bit of salt, as the cheese will add more salt when it is added later. If you are not serving the chowder within the hour, let it cool a bit, then chill. Cover the chowder after it has cooled completely. Otherwise let it sit at room temperature for up to an hour, allowing the flavors to meld.

When ready to serve, reheat the chowder over low heat until it is hot, but has not reached a simmer. Gradually stir in the Cheddar cheese and continue to stir constantly until all the cheese has melted into the velvety broth. Taste the chowder and season with the hot sauce, if desired. Let it come to just a summer, then immediately remove from heat.. Don't let it boil. Ladle into cups or bowls and sprinkle with the chopped chives. Make about 7 cups, serves 6 as a first course.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Curly Noodle Chicken Soup

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 large onion, chopped
4 celery ribs, sliced
2 medium carrots, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. butter or stick margarine
2 Tbsp. olive oil or canola
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/8 tsp. pepper
3 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) chicken broth
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
6 oz. uncooked tricolor spiral pasta

In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute the chicken, onion, celery, carrots, and garlic in butter and oil for 5 minutes. Stir in the flour, basil, oregano, and pepper until blended. Gradually add broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Return to a boil; stir in the pasta. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until pasta is done. Makes 9 servings.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Harvest Corn Chicken Chowder

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
2 cups water
2 cups cubed red potatoes
1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
1 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
3/4 cup 1% milk, divided
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

In a large saucepan, saute the onion, red pepper and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Add ham; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the water, potatoes, corn, bouillon, thyme, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Add chicken; heat through. Stir in the evaporated milk and 1/2 cup milk; bring to a boil. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 5 servings.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Champion Chili

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, diced
1 medium green pepper, diced
1 large celery stalk, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 pounds lean ground meat
1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies
1 can (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
2/3 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 bottle beer, the darker the better
2 shots tequila
1-1/2 cups club soda or mineral water
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons garlic salt
½ teaspoon black pepper

In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onion, green pepper and celery just until soft. Add the garlic and meat. Break up the meat and cook until it browns completely. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 3 hours, stirring often. Remove Bay leaves before serving. If desired, 2 cans of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained can also be added.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Winter Vegetable Soup

1 cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped leek (about 2 medium)
1 teaspoon dried whole thyme
1 teaspoon dried whole rosemary, crushed
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 (10-1/2 ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
2 (14-1/2 ounce) cans no salt added whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
4 cups cubed unpeeled round red potatoes (about 1-1/4 pound)
1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
1 cup coarsely chopped celery
1 cup cubed turnip
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon pepper
2 cups tightly packed shredded fresh kale
2 cloves garlic, peeled
½ cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
½ cup coarsely chopped green onions
½ shredded reduced fat swiss cheese
¼ cup tomato paste

Heat water and oi9l in large Dutch Oven or stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and leek. Cover and cook 15 minutes or until tender. Add thyme, rosemary and minced garlic.; sauté 2 minutes. Add broth and next 2 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes. Add potato and next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncover, 45 minutes. Stir in kale, cook 1 minute, set aside.
Position knife blade in food processor bowl. With processor runner, drop 2 cloves garlic through food chute and process until minced. Add parsley and next 3 ingredients; Process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl once. Stir parsley mixture into soup.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Beef Stew

2 lbs lean beef cut into 1-1/2" cubes
2 large onions, cut into wedges
1 large green pepper, cut into small chunks
1 lb potatoes, cut into large cubes
1 pkg (1lb) baby carrots
1-1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons beef boullion granules
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 cups red wine
2 cans (11-1.2) oz each hot and spicy vegetable juice (V8)

Add all ingredients to a 4-1/2 quart dutch oven. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover and transfer to oven. Bake 4 hours at 250 degrees. Do not lift lid or stir.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Drunken Crab Bisque

3/4 lb. crab meat
1/4 cup butter

1 cup whipping cream

1/4 cup scotch whiskey

1 quart milk

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon white pepper

finely chopped parsley

Flake crab meat, picking over to remove any cartilage. Set the crab meat aside.

Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large saucepan.
Stir in flaked crab meat, cream and whiskey.  Over medium heat, stir until heated, but do not boil.

Stir in milk and season with salt and pepper. Cook until very hot, but do not boil.
Pour into a tureen or serve in individual bowls.  Garnish with chopped parsley.
Serves 5.

*trying this tonight!  ** we tried this 11/11/11...good but too thin for our tastes.  The consistency is more like an old fashioned oyster stew..lots of milk!  We will be fiddling with the proprotions of this, and trying it again with less milk.  The taste is wonderful.
from RecipeSource - no author given.

Last edited:

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

French Onion Soup

3 medium onions sliced thinly

3 Tbsp butter

2 cans beef broth

1-1/2 c water

1 tsp salt 

Dash of pepper

Toasted french bread slices

Shredded Swiss cheese
Saute onions in butter and add broth and spices.  Simmer in crock pot or over stove.  When serving, top bowl with a slice of toasted french bread and swiss cheese

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Pumpkin and Spinach Soup

1 medium onion - peeled and finely chopped

1 lb pumpkin flesh - peeled and chopped into bite size pieces

8 oz spinach - chopped or shredded to size of pieces you would like for soup texture

2 medium size tomatoes - skinned and chopped

3 pints of vegetable stock

salt and pepper to taste

Put all the chopped ingredients in to a pan and add hot stock liquid.  

Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.

Season to taste.

That's it, no blending or pureeing. Chunky, clear soup.  Good topped with cheese or toasted cheese croutons.

Originally in one of the Cranks recipe books.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Pinto Bean Soup

200 g of dried pinto beans

1 large onion - peeled and chopped

2 celery stalks - chopped

1 medium carrot - chopped 

1 small bay leaf - whole

2 black pepper corns crushed or ground

4 cloves of garlic - crushed or chopped

1 level tsp salt

pinch of cayenne pepper

2 pints of vegetable or chicken stock

5 fl oz single cream (or whole milk)

chopped parsley to garnish

Soak the pinto beans over night and then boil in a large pan of unsalted water for 10 minutes.  Simmer for a further 20 minutes. Drain.

Bring the stock to the boil and then add the part cooked beans, chopped vegetables and herbs / spices other than parsley to the pan.

Return to the boil and then simmer for 1 hour.

Remove the bay leaf.

Blend until smooth and then add the cream.

Reheat to simmer before serving with chopped parsley to garnish.

Can't remember the source - I think it was a local newspaper in the 1970s.

Add chopped 

santa fe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Creamy Pumpkin Soup

1/2 to 3/4 onion, sliced

2 Tbsp. butter

1 tsp. curry powder

1 cup canned pumpkin

Salt and pepper

1 cup half-and-half cream (or heavy cream, if you want a really thick soup)

1½ cups chicken stock

Sauté onion in butter. Sprinkle curry over onion and cook another 2 minutes. 

In either a blender or food processor, process onions with pumpkin and salt and pepper. 

While machine is running pour in cream. 

Transfer to saucepan, add chicken stock and heat. 

Garnish with dob of sour cream and parsley.

Serves 4.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

Pinto Bean Stew

1 cup dried pinto beans
2 cups cold water
1/2 cup chopped carrot
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash cayenne pepper
1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
1 large onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 to 3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon sugar

Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place the beans in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.

Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to the pan; add cold water, carrot, garlic, chili powder, salt and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until beans are almost tender.

In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the corn, onion and green pepper until tender. Add to the bean mixture. Cover and cook for 45 minutes.

Stir in the tomatoes, vinegar and sugar. Cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.

You know, this is the first time I've checked out the 'Recipe Exchange' forum!  
  I love bean stews, I am going to try this one today!  Is this your own recipe?  I ask because I'm pretty much incapable of boiling water without a recipe to follow.  
  I always admire people who come up with their own.  

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise

Corn and Pepper Chowder

1 large onion, chopped
1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
1 tsp. canola oil
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
2 cups water
1-1/3 cups cubed potatoes
1 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. white pepper
2 cups frozen corn
1 can (12 oz.) fat-free evaporated milk
1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro or parsley

In a saucepan, saute onion and red papper in oil until tender. Stir in flour, and cumin until blended. Gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Reduce heat and add potatoes, bouillon, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add corn and milk. Cook, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Garnish with the cilantro or parsley. Makes 6 servings.

NOTE: This is a good chowder and it's pretty quick to make. Don't forget your favorite muffins! google_ad_section_end
Oooh, this one looks good too!  I can substitute vegetable bouillon granules for the chicken.  

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Hi Betsy!

I think the Pinto Bean Stew originally came from Taste of Home, but I don't remember. It's pretty good stuff! The Corn and Pepper Chowder may be from a Sara Moulton Live cooking show back when she was on the Food network. That is excellent....you're going to love that one!

I find recipes that I want to try, but then add a little of this and a little of that. Sometimes it works better than others. 

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise

Hi Betsy!

I think the Pinto Bean Stew originally came from Taste of Home, but I don't remember. It's pretty good stuff! The Corn and Pepper Chowder may be from a Sara Moulton Live cooking show back when she was on the Food network. That is excellent....you're going to love that one!

I find recipes that I want to try, but then add a little of this and a little of that. Sometimes it works better than others. 
Oohh, I'm glad you posted.  I had forgotten about the corn chowder already.  I'm going to try it tonight. 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PAPA'S CHILI -

This is a recipe my Dad got from a cook when he was in the Army in WWII. It's the chili I grew up on and the only chili I'll eat!

The measurements are 'guidelines'. I never measure anything (sorry!). I just dump some in my cupped palm and say, 'Yea, that looks about right'. But, I have been making this for close to 50 years. I can do it blind-folded! You will have to adjust according to your preference and method of measuring, but the measurements I listed are pretty accurate.

This is an easy recipe because everything goes in the pot at once (except the last two items) and it takes about 1 1/2 hours from beginning to end to make.

If I listed a brand name, please, don't substitute if at all possible. It changes the flavor. If you grow your own tomatoes, you can use them instead of canned tomatoes from the store - just be sure they are very ripe, then blanch and skin them before adding them to the pot. 

Ingredients:

3 - 5 lbs ground chuck (I always use 5 lbs - what the hell is chili without gr. chuck?)

3 medium onions diced (I love onions and they 'fill the pot' and give it more consistency)

1 large green pepper diced (Yuk! I hate these damned things, so I only put one in. You can add more if you like 'em)

3 - 4 ribs celery diced (Again, like the onions, I use more - 4 - 5 ribs. You can't really taste them, but they add flavor and consistency - and I chop up leaves and all)

1 tsp All Spice (This is one of the 'flavorful' spices. I probably toss in 1 1/2 tsp)

1 tsp Cumin (Same as the Allspice. I add a little more than a tsp for flavor, but don't over do it. Cumin can be over-powering)

1 tsp Crushed red pepper (Yup! I toss in a bit more than a tsp cuz chili is s'posed to taste like chili, not gravey with spaghetti)

1 tsp Oregano (this is about right. Dump some in the palm of your hand and if it looks right, put it in)

1/2 tsp Celery Salt (I add more than 1/2 tsp for the flavor - but then I cut back on the plain table salt because it ain't no good for ya)

1 tsp Salt (adjust according to how much celery salt you put in)

2 tsp Black pepper (This is a good amount - give or take)

2 oz McCORMICK'S Chili powder (If you can't find McCormick's, I will email you some! LOL Other chili powders just don't taste the same! Add a little less your first time and determine how 'hot' you like it. You can always sprinkle some directly in your bowl at the table and stir it in. Play with it til you get the right amount. I like it spicy so it tastes like chili)

1 bottle chili sauce (Bennet's is first choice, but it's hard to find anymore. Heinz is the 2nd runner up, then Del Monte. (Do NOT use Kroger - or any 'generic' - chili sauce. It is wayyy to sweet and ruins the whole batch of chili)

1 Tbsp Kitchen Bouquet gravy enhancer (I just tip the bottle over and pour a good shot in the pot. I probably add more like 4 Tbsp)

2 small cans Joan of Arc dark red kidney beans (I sometimes puree these before I add them so you don't have to chew on those little rubbery globs, but if you like beans, leave them whole. Be sure to rinse the good red juice out of the bottom of the can for more flavor).

1 28 0z can crushed tomatoes (Use plain tomatoes, not Mexican or Italian seasoned ones. I also dump them in a bowl first and cut and chop them a bit more because I don't like getting a big wad of cooked tomato in my mouth)

1 8 oz. can tomato sauce

3/4 lb. thin spaghetti (cooked separately until almost done. It will finish cooking in the chili and absorb the juice and flavor as it simmers a bit on the stove - maybe another 15 - 20 minutes? I have recently been adding the uncooked spaghetti right to the pot after everything else has cooked a while and letting it simmer til done. I find the starch helps to thicken it a bit and I use one less pot!)

Flour and water rue mixture for thickening ( Mix this to the consistency of thin pancake batter and add just enough to give the chili a slight thickening - kinda like a real thin gravey. You don't want to make it too thick because the starch from the spaghetti and sitting over night will thicken it. You can always add water to thin it a bit they next day)

Directions:

In large 'soup pot', boil ground chuck in 2 qts water or enough to cover the meat by an inch or so. You can add water later if you need to. (do not brown the gr. chuck).  Stir until broken up and cooked. (I crumble the raw ground chuck into the water so it's easier to break up while cooking).

Add all ingredients (except flour and water thickening and spaghetti - add spaghetti to the pot at the very end) and cook on medium until vegetables are tender (about 45 minutes?). Stir frequently and adjust temperature to simmer as needed.

Add small amount flour/water mixture to give it a slight consistency.

Serve hot with saltine crackers and lots 'n lots of sweet iced tea!

My sister sprinkles Parmesan cheese on hers, but I don't care for it. (Dad would have a ****-fit! He always called Parmesean "stink-cheese"!)

I sometimes add a can of mushrooms, but that's not in the original recipe. (Don't tell Dad!)

You can also use venison instead of the ground chuck. I've used turkey, but it tasted a bit bland.

If you have any questions, send me a PM.

Let me know how it turns out! 

Fyllis

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CHICKEN GLAZE  (could be used on pork also)

I was roasting some chicken thighs the other night and wanted to put 'something' on them, but didn't have any BBQ sauce or anything. I started looking through through the pantry and cabinets and Came up with a glaze that is AWESOME! It almost has an Asian Zing taste to it!

I don't have exact measurements because I just through some stuff in a bowl, but here it is:

Honey - maybe 1/4 cup?

Dark Brown Sugar - About 4 rounded Tablespoons?

Mace - just a pinch (maybe  1/8 teaspoon - that stuff is potent)

Tabasco Sauce - several good splashes (maybe a teaspoon?

I zapped it in the microwave for about 20 seconds to melt the honey and sugar, then stirred it to blend. I brushed it over the thighs when they were about half cooked. Fifteen minutes later, turned them over and brushed the other side and backed 10 minutes more. Then I flipped them back over and put one last coat on them and let the roast 5 more minutes.and let them cook another 15 minutes. 

About 30 minutes prior to roasting the thighs, I injected them with chicken broth and let them sit (covered) at room temperature. They turned out wonderful! Golden brown and crispy on the outside and perfectly juicy on the inside! I served it with sweet potatoes and fresh green beans.