1 pound parsnips, peeled
1 large sweet potato, peeled
1 small butternut squash (about 2 pounds) peeled and seeded
3 Tbsp. good olive oil
1-1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Cut the carrots, parsnips, sweet potato, and butternut squash into 1-to-1-3/4 inch cubes. All vegetables shrink while cooking, so don't cut them too small.

Place all the vegetables in a single layer on two sheet pans. Drizzle them with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss well. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until all the vegetables are tender, turning once with a metal spatula.

Sprinkle with parsley, season to taste, and serve hot. Serves 8.

Roasted Winter Vegetable Soup

6-8 cups chicken stock
1 recipe Roasted Winter Vegetables
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

For serving:
Croutons
Good olive oil

In a large saucepan, heat 6 cups of chicken stock. In two batches, coarsely puree the roasted vegetables and the chicken stock in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Pour the soup back into the pot and season to taste. Thin with more chicken stock and reheat. The soup should be thick, but not like a vegetable puree, so add more chicken stock and/or water until it's the consistency you like.

Serve with croutons and a drizzle of good olive oil. Serves 6-8.
google_ad_section_end

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Twice-Baked Acorn Squash

2 medium acorn squash (about 1-1/2 pounds each)
10 oz. pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
10 Tbsp. shredded Parmesan, divided
2 Tbsp. thinly sliced green onions
1 Tbsp. butter, softened
1/4 tsp. salt
Dash to 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Cut squash in half and discard seeds. Place squash, cut-side down, on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until tender. Scoop out squash, leaving a 1/4-inch shell.

In a bowl, combine the squash pulp, spinach, bacon, six tablespoons of Parmesan, butter, salt, green onions, and cayenne. Spoon mixture into shells. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and topping is a golden brown. Serves 4.

Note: If I'm in a hurry or it's a weeknight, I will microwave the squash to get it tender quicker. Place both sides of the cut and seeded squash in a container, then pour about an inch of water around the squash. Microwave 5-7 minutes, depending on the power of your microwave. I've also used the convection part of my regular oven to bake the squash in which case, the whole process (for this recipe) from start to finish takes about an hour.

Dried cranberries make a wonderful addition to this recipe.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
From Barefoot Contessa Family Style

Sagaponack Corn Pudding

1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter
5 cups fresh yellow corn kernels cut off the cob (6 to 8 ears)
1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 onion)
4 extra-large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup ricotta cheese
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup (6 ounces) grated extra-sharp cheddar, plus extra to sprinkle on top

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease the inside of an 8 to 10-cup baking dish.

Melt the butter in a very large saute pan and saute the corn and onion over medium-high heat for 4 minutes. Cool slightly.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, and half-and-half in a large bowl.

Slowly whisk in the cornmeal and then the ricotta. Add the basil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Add the cooked corn mixture and grated cheddar, and then pour into the baking dish. Sprinkle the top with more grated cheddar.

Place the dish in a larger pan and fill the pan 1/2 way up the sides of the dish with hot tap water. Bake the pudding for 40 to 45 minutes until the top begins to brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
google_ad_section_end

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Macaroni and Cheese

Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Start to Finish Time: 50 minutes

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
• 1 8-ounce package ziti, macaroni, or your favorite pasta
• 4 tablespoons butter
• 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 2 cups milk
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
• 8 ounces (about 2 cups) sharp Vermont cheddar cheese, shredded

Heat oven to 350°. Melt unsalted butter in a large, heavy skillet. Add panko and stir until coated; set aside.
Cook pasta according to package directions, stopping 2 minutes shy of suggested cooking time; drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large, heavy saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, about 1 minute, being careful not to let the mixture brown. Gradually add milk and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thickened and bubbly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, then add salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (if desired), and cheese, whisking until the cheese melts.
Add the pasta, then spoon the mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole or four lightly greased 2-cup baking dishes. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until bubbly.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Grilled Asparagus

1 pound asparagus
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Combine all ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal and marinate for 30 minutes. Remove asparagus from bag, and discard marinade. Place asparagus on grill rack ; grill 5 minutes on each side or until asparagus is done. Yield: 4 servings.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Potato Casserole

This may be the most unhealthy dish ever, but it is always a huge hit at Thanksgiving and potlucks.

1 bag frozen hash browns
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 diced onion
1 16 oz carton sour cream
1 8 oz pkg of shredded cheddar cheese
1 stick melted margarine

mix all together in spread in greased 13 X 9 pan

Topping

1/2 stick melted margarine
1 cup bread crumbs

mix together and sprinkle on top

Bake at 350 degree of 1 hour, 15 minutes

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Spinach Saute

1 tsp sesame oil
1 clove finely chopped garlic
1 tbsp water
2 lbs trimmed and washed spinach
1 tsp sesame seeds toasted
salt and pepper to taste

Heat sesame oil in a large skillet. Add garlic and water. Cook gently for a few minutes until fragrant. Add spinach and keep tossing until it wilts. Season to taste with salt and pepper and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I got this recipe from my food board.

Think of these as mashed potatoes without the last-minute fussing. The swirled, peaked surface gives the potatoes an elegant look -- but not so elegant that you can't still put gravy on top.

Adapted from One Potato, Two Potato - Roy Finamore 2001

Party Potatoes

MAKE AHEAD: They can be prepared up to 2 days in advance and stored, tightly covered in plastic wrap and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature and finish in the oven while the roast turkey is waiting to be carved.

3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2 -inch chunks
9 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup low-fat sour cream, at room temperature
2/3 cup 2 percent milk, warmed
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Sweet paprika

Place the potatoes in a large saucepan with enough cold, salted water to cover them by at least an inch. Bring to a boil on high heat, then reduce to medium, partially cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pot. Set over medium heat for a minute or two, shaking or stirring so the potatoes don't stick, until they are floury and have made a film on the bottom of the pot.

Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Using a hand-held electric mixer on low speed, break up the pieces. Cut 6 tablespoons of the butter into 1/2-inch pieces and add to the potatoes, beating until the butter is absorbed. Add the cream cheese and sour cream, beating well after each addition. Add a little of the warmed milk at a time (it may not all be needed), beating until the potatoes are light and fluffy. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Spoon the potatoes into the dish and smooth the top. With a spatula or fork tines, swirl or score the surface of the potatoes to leave little peaks that will brown up during baking.

Sprinkle paprika to taste on top of the potatoes. Cut the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter into small pieces and scatter them over the surface. Bake until the potatoes are heated through and the top is lightly golden, about 30 minutes. Serve hot. 12 servings

Note: I don't think you need all the cream cheese and/or sour cream. I think it was too much. And I didn't need all the milk. But they are good. I also sprinkled just a little reduced-fat grated Cheddar on top.
google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Outstanding! Originally from the Mustard's Grill Cookbook, I got it from my food board. It's delicious.

Asparagus with Leeks

3 leeks
1-1/2 to 2 lb. asparagus
3 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. butter
4-5 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. fresh tarragon or chervil leaves

Snap off rough ends of asparagus and slice on the diagonal up to the tip in 1/4 to 1/2-inch pieces. Leave the tips whole and set aside.

Trim the ends off the leeks and anything but the white and very pale green parts. Cut down the middle and rinse very well, then cut in slivers (half moon shape) as if you were cutting an onion (put the flat side down and cut across in strips). Heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the leeks and sweat for 3 to 4 minutes until soft....do not brown. Add the asparagus pieces and toss to coat with the butter. Add the water and the asparagus tips, cover the pan and steam for 3 to 4 minutes, until tender, but still crisp. Drain off any water that has not evaporated, add the tarragon and the remaining one tablespoon of butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Note: I only used two leeks and one pound of asparagus, as there were only four of us. I used kosher salt for seasoning. Do use the tarragon as it really added to this taste. We all loved this and it's definitely a keeper!

google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
From Betty Crocker. I think my son could eat the entire dish by himself.

Creamed Onions

16 oz. bag frozen small whole onions
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper (I add more)
1-1/2 cups half-and-half

Cook onions according to package directions. Drain and rinse. Place in casserole. heat margarine over low heat until melted. Blend in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring continuously, until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in half-and-half; heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir one minute. Pour over cooked onions.

Note: If you make these a while before your dinner is ready, you can put the casserole into a warm oven while preparing the rest of your meal.
Some people sprinkle their onions with nutmeg. If I did that, I think my son would kill me. He likes them just like this.
google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Mustard Potatoes au Gratin

1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
3 Tbsp. butter or margarine, divided
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1 cup (4 oz.) Gruyere cheese, divided
8 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced

In a small saucepan, cook onions in 1 tablespoon butter for 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in the cream, mustard and remaining butter. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.

Reduce heat to low, stir in half of the cheese until melted. Remove from the heat. In a greased shallow 2-1/2 quart baking dish, layer a third of the potatoes; top with a third of the sauce. Repeat layers twice; sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Cover and bake 25-30 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Let stand for 5 minutes. Yields 12 servings

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Cheese-Scalloped Potatoes and Carrots

2 cups boiling water
2 tsp. salt, if desired
5 cups potatoes, pared and thinly sliced
1-1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
5 medium carrots, pared and diagonally sliced ¼-inch thick

Cheese Sauce:
3 Tbsp. butter or margarine
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
Dash cayenne
1-1/2 cups milk
1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar

Place boiling water and salt in large sauce pan; cook potatoes, onion, and carrots about 5 minutes. Drain thoroughly. Melt butter in small sauce pan. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and cayenne; stir constantly for one minute. Remove from heat and blend in milk. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring, until thick and smooth. Add one cup Cheddar cheese and stir until cheese is melted.

In greased 2-1/2 quart casserole, layer half the vegetables and top with half the cheese sauce. Repeat with vegetables and sauce. Top with remaining cheese. Bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Cover with foil during the first 20 minutes. Makes 6 servings.
google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Originally from the American Diabetics Association, I found this on allrecipes.com. Quite tasty.

Spicy Spaghetti Squash

1 small spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup minced onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 green onions, minced
12 ounces ground white meat turkey
2 cups crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons red wine
2 teaspoons capers
2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place each squash half cut side down on a cookie sheet and bake uncovered for about 45 to 60 minutes or until a fork goes easily into the shell. Allow to cool and scoop out the strands of squash with a large spoon and set aside.

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic and scallions and saute for 2 minutes. Add the turkey and cook for 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and wine and bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Add the capers, oregano, red pepper flakes and parsley; simmer for 5 minutes. If the squash has cooled too much, reheat it in the microwave, covered for 2 to 3 minutes. Top the squash with the sauce and serve.

Note: Don't even bother turning your oven on. Halve and seed the squash. Place it cut-side down in a long pan. Fill with an inch or so of water. Throw it in the microwave and cook on High for 7 minutes. Then, let it set in the microwave for about 5 minutes. It will be soft enough to scoop the squash from the shell. Quick, too.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
This is from Light and Tasty. It's a different way to serve broccoli and is quite good. We like it with grilled salmon.

Broccoli with Orange Sauce

1 lb. fresh or frozen broccoli spears
4-1/2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tsp. grated orange peel
1 medium navel orange, thinly sliced

Place broccoli in a small amount of water in a saucepan and bring to boil. Cook for 5-8 minutes, until just crisp-tender. Meanwhile in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and bouillon. Stir in water, orange juice, and the orange peel until blended. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes until thickened.

Drain broccoli and place in a serving bowl. Garnish with orange slices and drizzle with the orange sauce. Makes 4 servings.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Excellent! Nice and creamy. From Cooking Light.

Cheesy Baked Cavatappi with Onions and Peppers

1 tsp. olive oil
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
2-1/2 cups choppped red bell pepper (about 2 large)
12 oz. uncooked cavatappi (about 4 cups)
2-1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
1 oz. (1/4 cup) flour
1-1/2 tsp. butter
4 oz. sharp white Cheddar, shredded
4 oz. Gruyere cheese, shredded
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Dash ground nutmeg
Dash ground red oeooer
Cooking spray
2 Tbsp. dry bread crumbs
Chopped fresh parsley, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion, saute 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add bell pepper, saute 3 minutes. Set mixture aside.

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain.

Combine milk and flour in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Melt butter in saucepan over medium-high heat, add milk mixture, stirring with a whisk. Cook 3 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. REmove from heat and gradually add the cheeses, stirring with a whisk until cheeses melt.

Stir in salt, black pepper, nutmeg, and red pepper. Add onion mixture and pasta, stirring well to combine. Spoon mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle breadcrumbs even over pasta mixture. Bake 35 minutes or until bubbly. Garnish with parsley.

8 servings, about 1-1/2 cups per serving.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only recently learned that Kale chips exist and are delicious!  I use mixed baby kale (costco has huge bags of this), take off any long stems, put on parchment paper, brush lightly with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with garlic powder and black pepper (most recipes are usually just the oil and salt) instead of using salt.  I bake them at 350 until dry, and crisp.  They are addictively good!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Green Tomato Salsa  from bostonplus.com

If you have a lot of green tomatoes as I do this year, this is delicious.

5 medium green tomatoes
2 jalapeno peppers
1 small onion
1 garlic clove
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste.

Combine all ingredients in a blender of food processor.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Honey Roasted Red Potatoes

1-1/2 lb. red potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
3 Tbsp. finely diced onion
4 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 Tbsp. honey
2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a shallow baking pan with nonstick foil or spray with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

Toss the potato cubes and diced onions together in a medium bowl.

In a small bowl, combine melted butter, honey, dry mustard, salt and cayenne pepper; mix well.

Pour the butter mixture over the potatoes and onions; mix well. Spread the potatoes and any extra butter on the prepared baking sheet, making sure that the potatoes are in a single layer.

Bake 35 to 40 minutes, stirring 2-3 times during baking time, until potatoes are tender and golden brown. 4 servings.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients

10-12 Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
¼ cup olive oil
2-3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Instructions: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Place the Brussels sprouts, olive oil, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper, balsamic vinegar in a bowl and toss with your hands.

Spread out the mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet center core down, including some of the loose leaves, which get crispy when they’re roasted.

Roast the Brussels sprouts for 20 to 30 minutes, until they’re tender and nicely browned. Toss once during roasting. Remove from the oven, taste for seasonings and serve hot.