Recipes - Sandwiches

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I made this recipe up one day. My husband loved it so much that he told me I had to make it again. Having already forgotten what I did an hour earlier, I wrote it down the next time I made it up.

Heavenly Hoagies

Meat mixture:

1 lb. sirloin steak, cut thin against grain
½ cup coarsely chopped onion
½ green pepper, diced
1 large clove garlic
¼ lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
½ tsp. Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste

Rest of sandwich:

2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
½ lb. mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1 loaf French or Italian bread (the long fat ones) - UNSLICED
Garlic butter (or spread)
Italian seasoning

Meat mixture: Mix steak thru salt/pepper together and marinate for a few hours (best), or if impatient, skip the marinade part. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet. Fry mixture quickly in the pan; meat will still be somewhat rare.

Sandwich assembly: Slice a shallow “V” in the top of the loaf lengthwise, cutting about ½ way down the loaf. Spread garlic butter (I prefer heating raw garlic in butter in the microwave) over both white sides of the bread and over the top of the loaf. Place sliced tomatoes on bottom half. Sprinkle a little Italian seasoning over tomatoes. Add meat mixture (just pile it on evenly). Add sliced mozz on top and place top of “V” over all, squishing the top down a bit. Bake in 350 degree pre-heated oven about 10 minutes until cheese is somewhat melted. Figure out how to eat it (hint: cutting in big slices and letting the juice drip all over is best).

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I saw Reuben Brats in Raichlen's BBQ USA and we decided to make our own.

Our Reuben Brats

6 brats
2-3 large onions, sliced and sauteed in butter and olive oil and sprinkled with Emeril's Rustic Rub (I make my own and keep it on hand)
Lots of warm sauerkraut
6 crusty rolls
Olive Oil
3 cloves garlic, halved
6 thin slices Swiss cheese

Dressing:

1/2 cup Smoky Thousand Island Dressing

1/2 cup bold mustard

Split the rolls. Brush olive oil on each side and rub well with a half of a clove of garlic, using a separate clove half for each roll.

Grill the brats. When brats are almost finished, throw the rolls on the grill, seasoned side down, until toasted.

Slather the Dressing on each roll. Place the brat in the roll and top with lots of sauerkraut and onions. Place a slice of Swiss on top of each roll. Place on the grill until cheese is melted.

Smoky Thousand Island Dressing

1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. sweet pickle relish
2 Tbsp. ketchup
1 Tbsp. hickory barbecue sauce
1 tsp. prepared horseradish
1 tsp. prepared mustard
1 tsp. Liquid Smoke

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients; stir until well-blended. Store, covered, in the refrigerator. Makes 14 tablespoons

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I originally got this recipe from Rick's mother, who got it from an old Betty Crocker cookbook. The recipe is simply titled Batter Bread with an extra on how to make the sandwich. I've put it together here for the sandwich. This is ideal for a movie night in front of the tv. Rick and I will watch movies while munching on the sandwich as our Saturday night supper.

Batter Bread Sandwich

1 pkg. active dry yeast
1-1/4 cups warm water (105 - 115 degrees)
2 Tbsp. shortening
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
2-2/3 cups flour
1 unbeaten egg white mixed with 2 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
Mayonnaise, mustard, etc.
Lettuce
Sliced tomatoes
Salami
Provolone cheese
Your choice of deli meats
Your choice of veggies, sliced thin

In large mixer bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add shortening, sugar, salt, and 2 cups of the flour. Blend ½ minutes on low speed, scraping bowl constantly. Beat 2 minutes on medium speed, scraping bowl. Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Scrape batter from side of bowl. Cover and let rise in warm place until double, about 30 minutes. Stir down batter by beating about 25 strokes. Spread evenly in round or square greased 9-inch pan. Smooth top of batter with floured hands. Brush egg white-water mixture over top of bread. Sprinkle with oregano, the salt, and pepper. Cover and let rise until double, about 40 minutes.

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 45 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Brush top with melted butter. Remove loaf from pan and cool on rack.

When bread is completely cool, split horizontally with bread knife. Spread both halves with mayonnaise, mustard, whatever spread you wish to use. Fill with lettuce, meats, cheese, sliced veggies, etc. Wrap bread in foil. Reheat for 30 minutes at 425 degrees.

What I do: I also sprinkle toasted minced onion (from Penzey’s, sprinkled liberally) onto the top of the bread, along with the oregano and I use cracked black pepper...usually about 3/4 teaspoon or more. I don’t sprinkle any salt over the top. Sometimes, depending on our mood, we don’t bother to wrap the bread in foil and heat it. We’ll have it cold. Leftovers are always wonderful.

I use instant yeast, so as long as the water is warm, not hot or anything, I don't bother to check the temperature. With instant yeast, I don't think you have to be as exact. Usually instant yeast is mixed right in the with the dry ingredients. I don't do that, though. I add the yeast to the warm water anyway, then add the rest of the ingredients as I go.

google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Roasted Veggie Wraps

1 envelope Parmesan Italian salad dressing mix
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. olive of canola oil
1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
1 cup julienned carrots
1 cup quartered fresh mushrooms
1 cup broccoli florets
1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
1 medium yellow summer squash, sliced
6 flour tortillas
1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Salsa, optional

In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the dressing mix, water, vinegar and oil; shake well. Place vegetables in a bowl; drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Spread vegetables in two 15 x 10-inch baking pans coated with nonstick vegetable spray. Bake, uncovered, at 425 degrees for 20 25 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.

Spoon about 3/4 cup roasted vegetables off center on each tortilla; sprinkle each with 1/4 cup cheese. Place on a baking sheet. Broil 4-6 inches from heat for 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Fold the sides and one end of tortilla over fillings and roll up. Serve with salsa, if desired. Makes 6 wraps.
google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Spicy Shrimp Wraps

1 cup salsa
1 medium rip mango, peeled, pitted and diced OR
2 medium ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and diced
1 Tbsp. ketchup
1 envelope reduced sodium taco seasoning
1 Tbsp. olive or canola oil
1 lb. uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 flour tortillas, warmed (about 8 inches)
1-1/2 cups coleslaw mix
6 Tbsp. reduced fat sour cream

In a small bowl, combine salsa, mango and ketchup; set aside. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine taco seasoning and oil; add shrimp. Seal bag and shake to coat.

In a nonstick skillet or wok, cook shrimp over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes or until pink. Top tortillas with coleslaw mix, salsa mixture, and shrimp. Fold bottom third of tortilla up over filling; fold sides over. Serve with sour cream. Makes 6 servings.

NOTE: I really had my doubts about this...with the mango, ketchup and salsa combination. But these wraps really are quite good. We make them with sun-dried tomato tortillas.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Some wrap ideas

Boursin Roll-Up/Wrap:
Spread tortillas with Boursin cheese, watercress or parsley, grated carrot, thinly sliced red onion, thinly sliced yellow bell pepper, salt and pepper to taste

Club Roll-Up/Wrap:
Spread with mayo, green leaf lettuce, thinly sliced tomato, thinly sliced turkey breast and smoked ham, bacon strips, sliced avocado

Roast Beef Roll-Up/Wrap:
Spread with mixture of mayo/cream cheese/horseradish, lettuce, sliced tomato, thinly sliced roast beef, thinly sliced Provolone cheese, thinly sliced green or red bell pepper, chopped kalamata olives

Vegetarian Roll-Up/Wrap:
Spread with Boursin cheese, lettuce or large basil leaves, sliced tomatoes or sundried tomatoes, julienned green pepper, thinly sliced zucchini and/or yellow squash, grated carrot, sliced red onion, sliced olives

Chicken Roll-Up/Wrap:
Sprad with mixture of mayo and minced chipotle chiles, leuuce, tomato, sliced barbequed, roasted or grilled chicken, sliced avodaco, bacon strips, sliced red onion

Greek Roll-Up/Wrap:
Spread with hummus, lettuce, sliced tomato or sundried tomato, grilled chicken strips, sliced mushrooms, sliced roasted red pepper, crumbled Feta cheese, chopped olives, sprinkle of oregano

Border Roll-Up/Wrap:
Spread with black bean dip or refried beans, lettuce, sliced tomato, grilled steak strips, shredded cheese, chopped green onion, sliced avocado, sliced black olives, top with salsa, sour cream, cilantro, more cheese/onion

Stromboli Wraps

4 plain flour tortillas (if flavored omit garlic powder)
1/3 cup butter, softened
Garlic powder
6 Tbsp. Shredded Parmesan Cheese
4 oz. Provolone Cheese thinly sliced
4 oz. Salami thinly sliced
4 oz. Capicolla or Ham thinly sliced
4 oz. Mozzarella Cheese shredded
Marinara or Pizza Sauce heated

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spread one side of each tortilla with softened butter; sprinkle with garlic powder and 1 tablespoon Parmesan. Arrange one fourth each of provolone, salami and capicolla (or ham) over center of tortillas, leaving border around edges. Sprinkle with one fourth of the mozzarella.

Fold up “wrap fashion”. Place seam side down on nonstick baking sheet. Brush with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Slice each “stromboli” in half on the diagonal. Serve with marinara or pizza sauce, if desired.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
From Light & Tasty 2008.

Grilled Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches

2 Tbsp. canola oil
2 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp. steak sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-1/2 tsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1/2 tsp. minced fresh gingerroot
2 pork tenderloins (1 lb. each)

Mustard Horseradish Sauce:
1/4 cup fat free mayonnaise
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1-1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. prepared horseradish

6 kaiser rolls, split
6 lettuce leaves

In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first seven ingredients; add the pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

Coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Prepare grill for indirect heat. Drain and discard marinade. Grill pork, covered, over indirect medium-hot heat for 25 to 40 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.

In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, sugar, ground mustard, Dijon and horseradish. Serve sliced pork on rolls with lettuce and mustard horseradish sauce. 6 servings.

Note: We use one tenderloin and halve the marinade and the mustard horseradish sauce ingredients. This is really good and something different for quick summer suppers with just a  fast salad. Because the pork marinates during the day, actual dinner prep is simple and quick.

Last edited: