1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt to taste

To prepare the marinade, stir together beer, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, cilantro, cumin, and salt; mix well.

To use marinade, pour into a resealable plastic bag, add up to 1-1/2 pounds of chicken breast, and mix until chicken is well coated. Marinate for 1 to 3 hours in the refrigerator.

My note: Based on a review, I also added cayenne, black pepper and used sea salt. I didn't really measure anything, just threw it all together. I sliced the chicken first and marinated the sliced chicken for 2-1/2 hours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
From Barbecue! Bible Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes by Stephen Raichlen. This is quite good. You can use your own judgement as to the amounts, depending on how you like your rubs: salty, spicy, or sweet. I used 1/4 cup of regular paprika and 1/4 cup of smoked paprika. I did not use the MSG. And I don't have dried Worcestershire sauce on hand. But the rub is still good. You can use this on beef, poultry, pork etc.

Jake's Boss Barbecue Rub

1-1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup coarse salt (I use less than half of this)
1/2 cup paprika
3 Tbsp. dried parsley
2 Tbsp. dried basil
2 Tbsp. dried oregano
2 Tbsp. dried thyme
2 Tbsp. dried onion flakes
1-1/2 Tbsp. dried Worcestershire (optional and I don't have any)
1-1/2 Tbsp. Lemon Pepper (can use homemade or commercial)
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. MSG (optional, I don't use)
1 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir or whisk to mix. Transfer to a large jar, cover and store away from heat and light. The rub will keep for several months. Makes 2 cups.

Note: I use this on a flank steak. I put the rub on both sides of the steak early in the morning, then wrap the plate in plastic wrap and store in the fridge until around 2:00 or so in the afternoon. (You can also do this the night before and keep it in the fridge overnight.) Then we just grill the steak to our desired doneness and slice it very thinly across the grain. I use quite a bit of the rub; that way, we got a good "crust" on the meat while grilling.
google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
From BBQ USA, this sauce is excellent. It keeps in the refrigerator for a week. The sauce is to be used on pulled pork sandwiches, but I used it in a variety of meat dishes that cal for BBQ sauce. It is a seriously good sauce. You "know" the coffee is there, even though you can't really taste it.

Espresso Barbecue Sauce

3/4 cup espresso or strongly brewed coffee
3/4 cup ketchup
6 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup Dijon mustard

1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, or to taste
3 Tbsp. cider vinegar, or to taste
3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. Tabasco sauce, or to taste (or your favorite hot sauce)
Coarse kosher or sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Combine the espresso, ketchup, cream, honey, mustard, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco sauce with 3 tablespoons water in a large, heavy, nonreactive saucepan. Gradually bring to a boil over medium-high heat.

Reduce heat to medium and let the sauce simmer gently until thick and richly flavored, 6 to 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary. Season with salt and pepper. If necessary, add a little more water to thin and mellow the sauce. Can be served hot or at room temperature. May be refrigerated for about a week. Bring to room temperature before using. Makes about 3-1/4 cups sauce.

What I do: I don't add the water at all and I still have to cook it longer than 10 minutes before it thickens a little bit. I make it ahead of time, put it in the fridge, then warm it over the stove again before serving at dinner. Rick has a bit of a sweet tooth, so our sauce is a little sweeter than you might like. Adjust for your tastes.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Dijon Mustard Marinade

2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary or thyme
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard

Whisk together and spread on both sides of chicken breasts. Cover and marinate overnight in fridge. Grill chicken over medium heat for about 4 to 6 minutes per side.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I'm not really sure what to call this. It started out with a recipe for Cranberry Chicken in which the ingredients were combined, the chicken added to the skillet, and then everything simmered together. I wanted to use it with pork tenderloins instead. So while the list of ingredients is similar, the whole process took a different twist (that often happens to me). Anyway, it's pretty darn good.

Cranberry Sauce/Glaze/Whatever for Roast Pork

1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup water
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
Dash ground nutmeg
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar, optional

In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, water, brown sugar, nutmeg, and red wine vinegar. Cook and stir carefully for about 5 minutes....the cranberries will start to pop. Do not cover. I continue to simmer the sauce for about 20 to 30 minutes (stirring occasionally) because I want the liquid to reduce to a cross between a sauce and a glaze. Then I spoon some of the sauce over the pork tenderloins in the oven. I spoon the remaining sauce into a bowl to pass around at the table for the slices of pork.

Do use the red wine vinegar. It gives the sauce a bit of a kick. Try some orange juice instead of all the water. Or maybe a bit of white wine instead of all the water.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the first year I have ever brined a turkey,and I am so very glad I did!I have used brine for other things like pork chops or pork loin,but this one I found...one of the cooking shows....and uit worked very well.I hope you try and enjoy!

3/4 cup salt

1 cup brown sugar

2 oranges,quartered

2 lemons,quartered

good pinch of dried thyme

good pinch of dried rosemary

2 gallons cold water

5 gallon plastic food grade bucket

I dissolved the salt and sugar in about a quart of warm water.Then poured it and the rest of the water into the bucket.Then I added the oranges,lemons and herbs,and finally my frozen solid turkey,taken out of the plastic wrap.I had an 18 lb. turkey.I covered the bucket with some saran wrap and the lid,and placed it in my hubbys office,which is not heated.I did this on MondayFrom time to time I'd open it up and  and swish the bird around and that's basically it.Come Wednesday afternoon,I drained the brine but saved the fruit.The turkey was ice cold yet completely thawed.I wiped it down with paper towels,inside and out,put the fruit in the cavity,then it went on a roasting rack in my roaster and into the oven at 325.The turkey was beautiful golden brown,juicy,tender and extremely flavorful.I always add chicken broth to the roaster as it cooks,and the gravy was outstanding.

You don't have to use the same herbs,and you could use fresh if you want.It's according to your taste.I venture to say it would be great with just the fruit,or more fruit,maybe a dark brown sugar.I hope yoiu enjoy!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Old Farmhouse Chutney
Makes 16 eight-ounce jars
This originally came from Stonewall Kitchen and I got it from a board that I post on. It is a rather labor-intensive recipe, but it is well worth the time.

2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 1/2 lbs onions, cut into 1/4" dice (6 large white or 4 large yellow onions)
5 1/2 lbs Granny Smith apples (about 12 medium apples), peeled, cored and cut to 1/2-inch dice
1 lb cranberries
1/2 lbs dried apricots, cut into 1/4-inch dice (one cup)
1/2 lbs golden raisins (2 cups)
1/2 cup apple-cider vinegar
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp mustard seed
1 Tbsp red-pepper flakes, or to taste
1 1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground clove
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cumin
3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup dark-brown sugar

Sterilise jars and set upside down to dry.

Heat oil over medium in a large pot. Sauté onions until translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in the apples, cranberries, apricots, raisins, vinegars, mustard seed, red-pepper flakes, celery seed, cinnamon, clove, curry powder, ginger, and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until apples are tender. This may take 45 minutes to an hour. If apples begin to stick, up to 1 cup more water may be added.

Stir in the sugars and return to a boil,. Cook over medium-high for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and pour chutney into sterilised jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe rim of jar clean. Cap and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Store unopened jars in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year and unsealed jars in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
FIREHOUSE STEAK MARINADE

1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 dried pasilla or ancho chiles, seeded and cut into strips
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
1-1/2 tsp chopped fresh garlic
1/2 cup beef broth
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons cumin seed
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 limes

In medium skillet, heat oil over med-low heat. Add chilies, onion, and garlic - sauté until onion is tender
DO NOT DRAIN - pour mixture into blender.

Add remaining ingredients (except limes) and blend until smooth. If marinade is too thick, add additional beef broth.

Tenderize steaks with a mallet.

Pour half the marinade over steaks and refrigerate 30 minutes.

Grill steaks with 3/4 of remaining marinade until desired doneness.

Before serving, brush with remaining marinade and generously squeeze fresh lime juice over steaks.

This is enough for 2 pounds of steaks.

TOMATO-HERB MARINADE

1 medium tomato, chopped
1 shallot, peeled and quartered (I've used onion in a pinch....I just chop what I want)
1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1-1/2 pounds flank steak, trimmed

Puree tomato, shallot, vinegar, marjoram, rosemary, salt and pepper in a blender until smooth. Set aside 1/2 cup, covered, in the refrigerator. Scrape the remaining puree into a large, sealable plastic bag. Add steak and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 4 hours or up to 24 hours. 

Preheat grill to medium-high. Remove the steak from the marinade (discard the marinade). Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the steak 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare or 6 to 7 minutes per side for medium, turning once and brushing the cooked side with some of the reserved sauce. When the steak is cooked, turn it over again and brush with more sauce. 

Transfer to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak crosswise and serve with any remaining sauce spooned on top. 

BEER-MARINADE - one of my favorites

¼  cup soy sauce                                     
1    Tablespoon sesame oil                        
1    Tablespoon light brown sugar            

3    large garlic cloves, chopped

2    teaspoons Dijon mustard                          
2    teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

1    teaspoon ground black pepper

½   cup beer (a lager or full-body)

Combine soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, garlic, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and beer in medium bowl. Submerge steaks in mixture and cover with plastic wrap. Chill for a full day, turning steaks occasionally. Grill as desired; slice on the diagonal.

Makes enough for 2 pounds of steak.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Found this on allrecipes.com/

PRETTY CHICKEN MARINADE

2/3 cup olive oil

2/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce

1/4 cup lemon juice

2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring

2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard

2 teaspoons ground black pepper

2 teaspoons garlic powder

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

In a large bowl, mix the olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, liquid smoke, mustard, pepper, and garlic powder. Place chicken in the bowl, and coat with the marinade. Cover, and allow chicken to marinate a maximum of 4 hours in the refrigerator.

Preheat the grill for high heat.

Oil grill grate. Discard marinade, and place chicken on grate. Cook 6 to 8 minutes on each side, until juices run clear.

Note:  I made the full amount of marinade, but then put not quite a 1/2 cup of the marinade in a covered bowl in the fridge. I used that to baste the chicken.  I used two bone-in breasts and they were fine. Grilled a total of about 45 minutes on a gas grill, turning every ten minutes or so. I turned all burners to high and then oiled the middle burner. Used indirect heat, with the middle burner off and the two side burners on medium heat. Then I turned a side burner to low and put the chicken on the side burner for a few minutes, to crisp the skin a bit.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope this is the right place to post this.  It is a recipe for greek seasoning.

Greek Seasoning by Maggie-Lynn on allrecipes.com

1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic.

1: Combine oregano, thyme, basil, marjoram, onion and garlic in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.
The author does say to play around with the amounts and types of herbs to match your own personal taste.  My only change was using powdered onion and garlic versus dried minced.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Hey, guys?

The recipe section is expressly for that....recipes. Don't get off-track because it takes away from the overall thread. If you want to talk about a recipe or a way of cooking or culture, please just take it to the Lounge. Thanks!

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mushroom Gravy (Thanks to Martha Stewart!)

INGREDIENTS:

2 pounds mixed mushrooms, such as Portobello, shiitake, and cremini, sliced 1/8-inch thick, trimmed
4 cups organic low-sodium canned mushroom or vegetable stock
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 tablespoon Marsala wine, (optional)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves

DIRECTIONS:

Remove stems from mushrooms. Place stems and stock in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 30 minutes. 
Strain; set aside.
Place 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add shallots, and cook until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, and cook until mushrooms are soft, browned, and all liquid has evaporated. Add Marsala, if using, and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits on bottom of pan. Remove from heat; set aside.
Combine remaining 3 tablespoons butter and flour in a medium saucepan over medium heat; cook, stirring until incorporated and browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in stock; bring to a boil, whisking until thickened. Stir in reserved mushroom mixture and thyme. Serve hot.