Recipes - Main Dishes And Entrees - Vegetarian/vegan

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
[/URL]

Vietnamese Inspired Noodle Salad

•100g iceberg lettuce
•2 portions of rice noodles
•100g finely chopped red cabbage
•100g finely chopped cucumber
•100g finely chopped carrots
•Large handful of chopped coriander or parsley
•Cooked broccoli and tempeh
•For the sauce mix 1 tbsp sesame oil with 2 tbsp Aple Cider Viengar and 2 tbsp sweet chilli, and add 1 tsp garlic powder and chilli flakes to taste
•Mix well and serve!
That looks good!

I was watching the Barefoot Contessa cooking show this morning and she made this: Confetti Corn I'm going to have to try it.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been making a lot of stuffed peppers lately (usually red, yellow, or orange bell peppers) with a stuffing based around lentils (gently simmered first till just on point) and cauliflower rice. They have been a hit with the family and taste even better the next day (so nice to make a big batch have on hand).

I'm not a "recipe" guy, but here are the basics of what I do.

Wash and trim the tops off 8 bell peppers (cutting just inside the top preserves as much of "the sides" as possible. Deseed and remove white "ribs" from inside. Roast on a tray at 425/218 for 20-30 min. I use a Breville Smart Oven w convection to minimize kitchen heat.

In salted water gently simmer about 3/4 cup of lentils. Stop when just cooked (and still "toothy"). Drai. Rinse and reserve.

Get some onions browning using EVOO and then include whatever other aromatics one prefers.

Break up a small cauliflower head (or 3/4 of a large one) and process with a steel blade in food processor until one has "cauliflower rice."

Add cauliflower rice to onions and aromatics. Season with herbs, salt, spices, and whatever to one's taste. I enjoy including fresh dill. I also like using a bit of jarred Armenian tomato paste (for flavor and color). Adding chopped walnuts near the end is a nice add.

Cook cauliflower rice until the raw quality dissipates.

In a large bowl combine lentils and "rice." Adjust seasonings. I like a little microplaned lemon zest and a big dose of Syrian Oregano (aka Biblical hyssop aka the main herb in Za'atar) that I grow in my yard, but follow one's bliss.

Non-vegans may wish to add crumbled Feta to the mix and/or grate a good melting cheese to cap the peppers (once stuffed). Not essential.

Fill the peppers with the mix. Pack them firmly. Top with cheese (or not).

Pop them back in the oven at 425 for approx 20-30 min. My typical overall cooking time tends to be 50 minutes (inclusive of the pre-cook).

Pull them out when done.

These are quite good and feel "meaty" (especially with the addition of chopped walnuts) and the cauliflower rice is a great substitute for grain in this dish.

And the seasoning is very adaptable, so give the basic idea your own twist.

Bill

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I came across this recipe the other day watching a Jamie Oliver video.It looks like a perfectly yummy veggie dish I have plans to make very soon and thought I would share.
Rotolo:
Poke some holes in the skin of an average sized butternut squash and microwave for 5 minutes.Check for tenderness and nuke a few minutes at a time til tender,let cool til easily handled.Split,remove seeds,scoop out the flesh,and mash with a fork...set aside.
In a skillet,2 T of olive oil and a chopped onion and saute til the onion is getting tender.Add a bag of frozen spinach,stir and cook til the spinach is thawed and cooked thru.
In a small saucepan add 1 T. olive oil and a large can(28 oz)plain tomato sauce and heat thru over low heat.
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add a box of pasta sheets...toss and turn to soften them til pliable,but you don't want to cook them otherwise they'll tear.Remove from the water and lay them out flat on a towel covered plate..Spray with pam or other pan spray a baking dish,glass or whatever you have.
To assemble,spread a layer of the mashed butternut on a pasta sheet,then a layer of the onion and spinach mixture,crumble on some feta or you could also use a few teaspoons of ricotta and a grating of parmesan.Roll up and place in your baking dish,and continue on with the rest of your pasta sheets,squash and spinach/onion mixture.Pour your tomato sauce over the top,sprinkle with more parmesan and a few torn fresh sage leaves.Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or til hot and bubbly.
Some thoughts I had was this seems to be a little bland to me.I'm wanting to add some garlic cloves,maybe some basil or oregano in there somewhere,like the tomato sauce.You could omit the cheese if you're not a cheese person.These remind me of a veggie burrito!That being said,if you can't find the boxed pasta sheets,you could sub flour tortillas.You could cook lasagna noodles and use them,layering it like lasagna.If you don't like tomato sauce, you could make a cream sauce to pour over.Lots of possibilities but it just sounded so good to me.Hope you get to try it!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I came across this recipe the other day watching a Jamie Oliver video.
Sounds interesting. If you make it, please post a pic, if you can.

It reminds me of a lasagna rollup up recipe I used to make, and should make again.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It reminds me of a lasagna rollup up recipe I used to make, and should make again.
Now that you mention the lasagna rollup,yes,it does remind me of it too.I don't have the ability to post pictures,but I can sure tell ya'll if it's good or not.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
A friend sent me a recipe for spaghetti squash with a roasted bell pepper sauce. I made it last night and it was delicious, and super easy to make. I used roasted bell peppers in a jar instead of roasting them myself.

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 6.45.55 AM.png

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well,I made this the other day and all I can say is it's delicious!!A friend of mine told me to steer clear of the pasta sheets,so I used regular lasagna noodles and cooked them as usual.I made a cream sauce of butter,flour and milk with a few dashes of nutmeg,and I also used 2 bags of frozen spinach,and I just layered it like regular lasagna.I did use an italian blend cheese.Wish I could send you a picture!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watched a Jamie Oliver video the other day and he made these baked stuffed squash which looked wonderful.He used a type of squash I've never seen here so I thought I'd use acorn squash instead.Chop a red onion and add it to a skillet with a little olive oil and saute over low heat.Put together a mix of dried chopped fruits and nuts of your choice,and I'm going to use a combo of golden raisins,dried cherries and chopped apricots along with chopped pecans and walnuts.Probably need a cup or so,and they go in the skillet with the onion.See if you can find the pouches of uncle bens rice or grain mixes at the store.I know WalMart used to carry them,so I'm going to see if I can find a brown and wild rice mix...they're already cooked and just need reheating.If I can't find what I'm looking for,I'll just cook some brown rice and use it.Probably need a cup or so,and that goes in the skillet too.When everything is heated,use this to stuff your acorns,which I'm going to put in a baking dish.Top with some bread crumbs or crunchy crushed crackers of your choice and bake at 350 about an hour...til the squash is tender.There you are!Hope you try it and enjoy!

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
I watched a Jamie Oliver video the other day and he made these baked stuffed squash which looked wonderful.He used a type of squash I've never seen here so I thought I'd use acorn squash instead.Chop a red onion and add it to a skillet with a little olive oil and saute over low heat.Put together a mix of dried chopped fruits and nuts of your choice,and I'm going to use a combo of golden raisins,dried cherries and chopped apricots along with chopped pecans and walnuts.Probably need a cup or so,and they go in the skillet with the onion.See if you can find the pouches of uncle bens rice or grain mixes at the store.I know WalMart used to carry them,so I'm going to see if I can find a brown and wild rice mix...they're already cooked and just need reheating.If I can't find what I'm looking for,I'll just cook some brown rice and use it.Probably need a cup or so,and that goes in the skillet too.When everything is heated,use this to stuff your acorns,which I'm going to put in a baking dish.Top with some bread crumbs or crunchy crushed crackers of your choice and bake at 350 about an hour...til the squash is tender.There you are!Hope you try it and enjoy!
Let us know how it turns out!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds delicious. If you can please post a pic if you make it.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mushroom Canneloni....one thing I will say about this recipe is that I can't wait to try it!And it calls for leeks,too.They can be quite pricey in my opinion,so I'm thinking I'll use an extra onion and a few more mushrooms.Yes this is a Jamie Oliver recipe...he's had some really good ones lately!I hope you get a chance to enjoy!
2-3 onions
2 smashed cloves garlic
2 leeks
2 lbs your favorite mushrooms or a combo of them
1/2 c flour
1 quart your preferred milk
1/2 c your favorite shredded cheddar
2 pkgs canneloni tubes
Chop the onions,garlic,leeks,and mushrooms pretty small.Using a good sized skillet,drizzle with some olive oil and saute them for about 15 minutes...remove from heat and set aside.
In a saucepan,add 3 T olive oil (you could use butter) over medium heat and 1/2 c flour,and whisk for a minute or 2.Whisk in the milk and heat til it thickens,and he didn't but I'd season with salt and pepper to taste and a dash of nutmeg.Stir in your shredded cheddar and whisk to melt and combine,and that's your sauce.
Put 1/3 of the sauce in a baking dish,and stuff each tube of canneloni with the veggie mixture. Lay each filled one in the baking dish...if there's any veggie filling left you can just sprinkle it over the top of the pasta,and top it all with the rest of your sauce.Bake at 350 about 45 minutes til pasta is tender and sauce is bubbly and hot.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mushroom Canneloni....one thing I will say about this recipe is that I can't wait to try it!
That sounds good. Thanks for posting.

Since I like seeing pictures before making something, I googled, and found the recipe and pic here:
Mushroom cannelloni | Jamie Oliver recipes

The amounts are in Metric though, and despite Canada officially being on the Metric system since the 70's, I still mostly use cups and pounds and teaspoons when cooking, so if I ever make it, I'll use the recipe you posted.

1704037481918.png