1 lb. mild Italian sausage, casings removed
1 cup chopped onion
2 tsp. olive oil
15 oz. tomato sauce
14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with garlic
6 oz. tomato paste
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup water, chicken broth, or wine

Cook sausage and onion in oil. Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and paste with the water. Combine and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine the pasta with the sauce mixture.

Spread in 13 x 9-inch pan. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Homemade Ravioli

Dough:

2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup water
2 eggs
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
6 qt. water
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. salad oil
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Cheese Filling (below)
Meat Filling (below)
Spinach Filling (below)
Favorite spaghetti sauce

In large bowl, combine 1 cup flour with the remaining Dough ingredients. beat 2 minutes or low speed, scraping bowl occasionally. With wooden spoon, stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Cover dough and let rise about 30 minutes. Cut dough into six pieces. On floured surface and with floured rolling pin, roll one piece of dough into an 18-inch rectangle. Cut rectangle into nine 4 x 2-inch pieces. Drop a teaspoonful of desired filling on the narrow side of dough to within ½-inch of the edge. Brush edges of dough with water. Fold dough over filling and seal well by crimping with a fork dipped in flour. Place ravioli on a floured clean cloth or paper towels. Repeat with remaining pieces of dough.

In large saucepot, heat water, salt, and oil to boiling. Carefully add ravioli. Reheat to boiling. Reduce heat and cook 5 minutes to until tender. Drain thoroughly. Serve with your favorite spaghetti sauce and lots of Parmesan cheese.

Cheese Filling: Combine 8 ounces ricotta cheese, 3 Tbsp. minced parsley, 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, one egg white, and 1/8 tsp. salt. Stir until well-blended.

Meat Filling: Cook 1/2 lb. ground beef, 1/3 cup minced onion, and 1 minced garlic clove until meat is browned. Drain thoroughly. Stir in 1 egg, 1/4 cup minced parsley, 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Stir until well-blended.

Spinach Filling: Combine a 10-oz. package frozen spinach (thawed and very well-drained), with 1/3 cup Parmesan, 2 egg yolks, 1 Tbsp. softened margarine, 1/8 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. nutmeg. Stir until well-blended.
google_ad_section_end

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Basil Pesto

Yield: 1 to 1-1/2 cups

Serve pesto on fresh pasta, spread on a halved baguette and broiled, or as a pizza topping. This recipe calls for basil, but you can experiment with other herbs such as parsley, thyme, tarragon, and cilantro. If you're a garlic fan, feel free to use more.

• 3 cloves garlic
• 2 cups fresh basil leaves
• 1/4 cup pine nuts or walnuts
• 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1/2 to 1 cup good-quality olive oil
• 3 ounces Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
In a blender or food processor, combine garlic, basil leaves, nuts, salt, pepper, and half the oil. Puree, slowly adding remaining oil. If using immediately, stir in grated cheese; if not, freeze mixture in zip-lock bag, squeezing out any air. (Pesto turns brown when exposed to air.) Add cheese before serving.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Clam Pasta

1 pound pasta, cooked according to package directions
2 cans baby clams
1/4 cup olive oil
5 cloves garlic, chopped (I use more)
4 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 pound fresh spinach, washed & stems removed
1/4 teaspoon pepper
salt to taste

In deep frying pan, heat oil. Add garlic and cook until browned. Add juice only from canned clams. Add tomato, salt & pepper. Cook until tomato is soft. Add spinach and cook until wilted Add clams and cook until heated. Toss with pasta.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Easy Mostaccioli Italiano

• 1 lb mostaccioli,
• 1 lb bulk hot Italian sausage, cooked and drained
• 2 jars pasta sauce
• 1 lb shredded mozzarella cheese, divided use
• Chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9-by-13-inch baking pan with butter or margarine.
1. Cook mostaccioli according to package directions; drain.
2. In large bowl, combine mostaccioli, sausage, pasta sauce and 2 cups cheese. Mix well.
3. Spoon into prepared pan. Cover and bake in preheated oven 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Uncover and top with remaining cheese (about 2 cups) and parsley. Bake 10 minutes

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pasta with Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce

1 large Buitoni Refrigerated Ravioli  

1 jar (7.25 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained

1 container (10 ounces) Bertoli Alfredo Sauce  (think the jar really might be 14 oz)

1 package (6 ounces) fully-cooked, ready-to-eat chicken breast strips (I don’t use)

Shredded Parmesan Cheese

Chopped fresh parsley (optional)

PLACE peppers in food processor or blender; cover. Pulse until peppers are 1/8- to 1/4-inch in size.

COOK sauce, peppers and chicken in large, nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through (do not boil). Add pasta; toss well.

SERVE with cheese and chopped fresh parsley.

* I roughly chop the peppers and then throw them in the Alfredo sauce that is heating on the stove and then use a Braun hand mixer/chopper.   Then I pour the sauce in the cooked and drained pasta*

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yummy Pasta Salad (cold pasta salad)

Ingredients

• 1 (16 ounce) package dry penne pasta
  • 2 medium cucumbers, peeled and cubed
  • 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
  • 1-1/4 cups mayonnaise
  • 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
  • 4 tablespoons dried dill weed
  • Pepper, onion powder to taste, a little ranch dressing, olives and some shredded asiago/parm

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
  2. Combine pasta, cucumbers, tomatoes, mayonnaise, sour cream, dill weed and lemon pepper. Serve as is or chill for 45 minutes.
I throw in shredded imitation crab meat. 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
From Cooking Light.....

Grilled Vegetable Lasagna

Grilling the vegetables deepens their flavors, which makes for a delicious vegetarian entrée. To speed preparation, use no-boil lasagna noodles; the baking time remains the same.

3 eggplants, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices (about 3 pounds)
3 zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch slices (about 1 1/4 pounds)
Cooking spray
1 teaspoon salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
2 red bell peppers, quartered and seeded
1 (15-ounce) container fat-free ricotta cheese
1 large egg
3/4 cup grated Asiago cheese, divided
1/4 cup minced fresh basil
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
9 lasagna noodles, divided
1 (26-ounce) jar tomato-basil spaghetti sauce (such as Muir Glen), divided
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided (I use the sargento roasted garlic mozzarella)
1/4 cup commercial pesto (such as Alessi)

Preheat grill.
Coat eggplants and zucchini with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Grill eggplant and zucchini 1 1/2 minutes on each side or just until tender. Cool; combine in a large bowl.

Place bell peppers on grill, skin-side down; grill 3 minutes or until tender. Cut into (1-inch-wide) strips. Add bell peppers to eggplant mixture.

Combine ricotta cheese, egg, 1/2 cup Asiago cheese, basil, parsley, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.

Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions, omitting the salt and the fat.

Preheat oven to 375°.

Spread 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 noodles over tomato sauce. Top with half of eggplant mixture. Spread half of ricotta cheese mixture over eggplant mixture; sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.

Arrange 3 noodles and 1 cup of spaghetti sauce over cheese; cover with the remaining eggplant mixture. Top with remaining ricotta mixture. Spread pesto over ricotta; sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Cover with remaining 3 noodles.

Spoon 1 cup spaghetti sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Asiago cheese and remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.

Bake at 375° for 1 hour. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
You can, of course, use your own tomato sauce instead of using the Fresh Tomato Sauce Sicilian.

BOLOGNESE SAUCE  

Jeff Smith (The Frugal Gourmet)

1 pound boneless beef chuck
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup dry red wine
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2-1/2 cups Fresh Tomato Sauce Sicilian (See below)
1 cup chicken stock
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Season the meat with salt and pepper to taste. Brown well in a frying pan with the olive oil. Place the meat in a small heavy saucepan and add the water, red wine, and garlic. Bring to a boil and simmer gently, covered, for 2 hours. If the pan begins to dry out, add a little more water to prevent burning. Allow to cool in the pot with the lid on until you can handle it.

Shred the meat and place it in a 4-quart pot along with its cooking juices. Add the remaining ingredients except the Parmesan cheese, cream, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer gently for 45 minutes, stirring often. Add the cheese and cream and simmer 15 minutes more. Salt and pepper to taste. (Makes about 7 cups)

Fresh Tomato Sauce Sicilian

1/4 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
9 cups cored and chopped very ripe fresh tomatoes
4 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, crushed with juice
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup Chicken Stock (Canned or your own)
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
6 Tablespoons butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Heat an 8 to 10 quart heavy bottom pot and add the oil, garlic and onion. Sauté until the onion is clear. Add the remaining ingredients except the butter and salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and gently cook, uncovered, for 4 hours, stirring often. Stir in the butter and salt and pepper to taste.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

BAKED ZITI

1    pound dry ziti pasta or rigatoni           

6    ounces mozzarella, shredded

1    onion, chopped                             

1½ cups sour cream

1    pound lean ground beef                      

3    tablespoons grated Parmesan

2    26-ounce jars spaghetti sauce             

6    ounces sliced Provolone

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain. In a large skillet, brown onion and ground beef over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Layer as follows: half of the ziti, all the Provolone cheese and sour cream, half the sauce mixture, remaining ziti, mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese. Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted.

NOTE: I use more onion, probably 1-1/2 onions instead of just one. I like to add more ground beef, too, 1-1/2 pounds. And more grated Parmesan. You can use your own pasta sauce, if you want.  

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
This is good stuff!

JOHN LEGEND’S MAC AND CHEESE (from Martha Stewart)

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish

Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

3 cups elbow macaroni

2 (12-ounce) cans evaporated milk (I used nonfat)

1/3 cup skim milk

2 large eggs

1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

2 (8-ounce) packages extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated (I used low-fat)

1 (8-ounce) package Monterey Jack cheese, grated (I used low-fat Pepper Jack)

Paprika, for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously butter a 13-by-9-inch glass baking dish; set aside.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt and macaroni. Cook until al dente according to package directions. Drain, and return to pot. Add butter, and toss until pasta is coated and butter has melted; set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, skim milk, and eggs. Add seasoned salt, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; set aside. In another medium bowl, combine cheeses; set aside.

Place 1/3 macaroni in an even layer in the bottom of prepared baking dish; cover evenly with 1/3 cheese. Repeat with remaining macaroni and cheese mixture. Pour milk mixture evenly over contents of baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika.

Bake until top layer is lightly browned, 35 to 45 minutes. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
MACARONI AND CHEESE WITH TOMATOES (from Cook’s Country)

Salt
Pepper
1 pound elbow macaroni (see note)
28 ounces diced tomatoes
6 tablespoons butter
1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 cups half-and-half (Sometimes I use nonfat or lowfat evaporated milk)
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
4 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Adjust oven to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large Dutch oven over high heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon salt and macaroni and cook until just al dente, about 6 minutes. Drain pasta and return to pot. Pour diced tomatoes with their juices over pasta and stir to coat. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Set aside.

Meanwhile, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Stir in flour and cayenne and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in half-and-half and broth until smooth. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Off heat, whisk in cheeses, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper until cheeses melt. Pour sauce over macaroni and stir to combine.

Scrape mixture into 13 by 9-inch baking dish set in rimmed baking sheet and bake until top begins to brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

NOTE: Macaroni and cheese can be made in advance. Scrape mixture into 13 by 9-inch baking dish, cool, lay plastic wrap directly on surface of pasta, and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When ready to bake, remove plastic wrap, cover with foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. It doesn't say to spray the baking dish, but I do.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I wasn't sure where to put this, so decided to throw it in the Pasta section. I found this recipe in an old community-type cookbook. Rick is not fond of tuna and noodles, but he really likes this recipe because it doesn't use cream of mushroom soup. This uses a cheese sauce.

TUNA AND NOODLES

12 ounces egg noodles
1/4 cup butter or margarine, divided
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped (I always use a nice, large onion) 1 medium green pepper, chopped
4 ounces sliced mushrooms (optional)
¼ cup flour
1-1/2 cups milk (non fat is fine)
1 cup extra-sharp Cheddar, grated (you can add more)
3 5 oz. cans tuna in water, drained

Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and toss with 1 tablespoon butter. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Arrange noodles in pan. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt remaining butter in sauce pan. Combine 1 tablespoon melted butter with bread crumbs and set aside. To remaining butter, add onion, celery, pepper, and mushrooms (if using) and sauté 10 minutes. Stir in flour until combined. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in milk until smooth. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese and drained tuna. Spoon into baking pan on top of the noodles. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake 30 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. Serve hot.

NOTE: The original recipe called for one 12-1/2 ounce can of drained tuna. Our grocery no longer carries that size and they reduced the regular cans to 5 ounces, so I started using three 5-ounce cans. The original recipe did not say that mushrooms were optional, but depending on my mood, I don’t always use them. When I do, they are fresh mushrooms that I slice and sauté with the other vegetables. I’ll use the cup of Cheddar melted in the sauce, then mix another ½ cup or so in with the bread crumbs to sprinkle on top of the mixture.

If you like peas with your tuna and noodles (some people do), go ahead and throw them into the mix. If you don't feel like mushrooms, don't add them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Korean Spicy Chilled Noodles (Bibim Guksu)

Makes 4 servings

This classic Korean dish is a pasta salad of sorts, with bold contrasting flavors and textures. Somen is the Japanese name for the type of dried wheat noodle to use here; in Korean, it is called somyeon. The noodles are slender and creamy white; look for them, often packaged in bundles, in the Asian section of the grocery store or in Asian markets.

Gochujang is a Korean fermented red pepper paste — it’s an essential ingredient in this dish. Made with ¼ cup gochujang, the noodles are assertively spicy. To turn down the heat, reduce the amount to 3 tablespoons. If you like, add a halved or quartered hard- or soft-cooked egg on top of each portion.

Be careful not to overcook the noodles. Somen cooks quickly — in a matter of just a few minutes — and the delicate strands quickly go from tender to overdone.

3 to 4 tablespoons gochujang

2½ tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar, plus more as needed

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1½ tablespoons white sugar

1½ tablespoons toasted sesame oil

2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted, divided

1 cup drained cabbage kimchi, thinly sliced, plus 2 tablespoons kimchi juice

½ English cucumber

8 ounces somen noodles (see headnote)

Ice

Kosher salt

4 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the gochujang, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, 1 tablespoon of the sesame seeds, and the kimchi juice. Set aside.

Thinly slice the cucumber on the diagonal. Stack several slices and cut lengthwise into matchsticks. Repeat with the remaining slices. Set aside.

Add the noodles to the boiling water and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain in a colander, then add 1 cup of ice cubes on top. Rinse the noodles under cold running water, tossing constantly, until completely cool to the touch. Remove any unmelted ice cubes, then drain well.

Add the drained noodles to the gochujang mixture, along with the kimchi. Toss, then taste and season with salt and additional vinegar. Transfer to a shallow serving bowl, then mound the scallions and cucumber on top. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon sesame seeds. Toss just before serving.

Ramen Salad With Shrimp and Scallions

Makes 4 servings

This is a pared-down version of Japanese hiyashi chuka, or cold ramen noodles with toppings. Here we use seasoned rice vinegar, which is flavored with sugar and salt; it’s a three-in-one ingredient and a simple way to make a well-seasoned dressing. When shopping, look for non-instant dried ramen, sometimes called chuka-men or chuka soba; the noodles may be either straight or curly.

10 ounces non-instant dried ramen noodles (see headnote)

1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce

2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar

2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, plus more to serve

1 pound cooked, peeled shrimp, cut into ½-inch pieces or 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken

1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced, or 1 small cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced, or both

Toasted sesame seeds or pickled ginger or both, optional, for garnish

Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling water until tender, then drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again. In a large bowl, mix the soy, vinegar, and sesame oil. Add the noodles and toss. Divide among 4 serving bowls, then top with shrimp, scallions, and cucumber, if using. Drizzle each portion with additional sesame oil, and garnish with sesame seeds and/or pickled ginger, if using.

Cold Udon With Sesame Sauce

Makes 4 to 6 servings

To make a rich and silky — yet simple — sauce for udon noodles, Milk Street Community member Suzanne Lewis Peins of Hamilton Township, New Jersey, combines tahini, lemon juice, soy sauce, and a little water. After tossing the cooked noodles with the mixture, she sprinkles them with sliced scallions and sometimes a little chopped parsley for fresh notes and a spark of color. We add a touch of sesame oil and sugar to her winning formula to accentuate and complement the flavors of the tahini.

When cooking the udon, there’s no need to salt the water, since the noodles already contain sodium. Also, save ½ cup of the cooking water before draining; you will need some of it to make the sauce.

12 ounces udon noodles

¼ cup tahini

2 tablespoons lemon juice

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

1½ teaspoons white sugar

Kosher salt and ground black pepper

3 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal

1 tablespoon black or white sesame seeds, toasted

In a large pot, bring 4 quarts water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook, stirring once or twice, until tender. Reserve about ½ cup of the cooking water, then drain in a colander. Rinse under running cold water until fully cooled, then drain again; set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the tahini, lemon juice, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper, and 3 tablespoons of the reserved cooking water; the mixture should have the consistency of thin yogurt (if too thick, whisk in additional water 1 teaspoon at a time to thin).

Add the udon to the tahini mixture and toss until evenly coated. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with the scallions and sesame seeds.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Creamy Lemon-Basil Pasta Salad

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

For the dressing
Ingredients
  • 2 cloves crushed garlic
  • 1 cup sliced fresh basil, plus more for garnish
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 cup plain full-fat Greek yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/3 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Instructions
First, make the dressing: Combine the garlic, basil, honey, lemon juice, lemon zest, mayonnaise, and yogurt in a food processor. Pulse until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

For the salad
Ingredients
  • 1 pound rigatoni pasta
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped roasted red peppers (fresh or from a jar)
  • 1 cup sliced sugar snap peas
  • 1 cup baby arugula leaves
Instructions
Then, cook the pasta: Put the rigatoni into a large pot of boiling salted water and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with olive oil and refrigerate until cool.

For the topping
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons salted butter
Instructions
Meanwhile, make the bread crumb topping: Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the bread crumbs and reduce heat to medium. Toast the bread crumbs, stirring often, until golden brown, approximately 3 minutes.

To assemble the salad, add the roasted red peppers, sugar snap peas, and arugula to the chilled pasta. Just before serving, drizzle with dressing and toss to combine. Top with toasted bread crumbs and garnish with basil.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No mortar and pestle? Use a plastic bag and heavy object as described here. No watercress? Substitute arugula or other leafy green instead.

Ingredients

Serves: 6 as a starter, 4 as a main

• 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 scant tablespoon sea salt flakes
  • 1 large red chili
  • 8 ounces white crab meat
  • 4 ounces brown crab meat
  • ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
  • zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 pound linguine
  • 1 handful fresh parsley (chopped)
  • 1 handful watercress (roughly torn)

Method
  1. Put a large pan of water on to boil for the pasta.
  2. In a large pestle and mortar pulverize the peeled garlic cloves with the salt, so that it makes a smooth paste. Then add the chopped and seeded chili and crush again until you have a gloriously red-tinged mixture. Tip in the crab meat, breaking it up gently with a fork, and pour in the oil. Zest the lemon into the mortar and then add the juice.
  3. Using a fork, beat well to mix, and then you are ready to cook your pasta. So do so, and then drain the pasta and tip into a warmed serving bowl. Immediately pour over the crab sauce and toss the pasta about in it, then throw in the parsley and watercress and toss again.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Resurrecting an old thread to post this unusual one pot recipe--unusual for me, anyway, to start with all the dry ingredients and then add boiling water. It was delicious!

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_1831.jpeg