1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Sweet and Tangy Barbecue Sauce
1-1/2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup light or mild molasses
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/3 teaspoon ground black pepper

For the pork: Dissolve 1 cup salt, 1/2 cup sugar, and 3 tablespoons liquid smoke in 4 quarts cold water in large container. Submerge pork in brine and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

While pork brines, combine mustard and remaining 2 teaspoons liquid smoke in small bowl; set aside. Combine black pepper, paprika, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, remaining 2 teaspoons salt, and the cayenne in another small bowl and set aside. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees.

Remove pork from brine and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Rub mustard mixture completely over surface of each piece of pork. Sprinkle entire surface of each piece with spice mixture. Place pork on wire rack set inside foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Place piece of parchment paper over pork, then cover with sheet of aluminum foil, sealing edges to prevent moisture from escaping. Roast pork for 3 hours.

Remove pork from oven; remove and discard foil and parchment. Carefully pour off liquid in bottom of baking sheet into fat separator and reserve for sauce. Return pork to oven and cook, uncovered, until well-browned, tender, and the internal temp registers 200 degrees on instant-read thermometer, about 1-1/2 hours. Transfer pork to serving dish, tent loosely with foil, and let rest for 20 minutes.

While pork rests, pour 1/2 cup of defatted cooking liquid from fat separator into medium bowl; whisk in sauce ingredients.

Shred pork into bite-size pieces, using two forks. Toss with 1 cup of sauce and season with salt and pepper. Pass remaining sauce separately. Serves 6 to 8.

Lexington Vinegar Barbecue Sauce

1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon table salt
3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon black ground pepper

Combine all ingredients in medium bowl with 1/2 cup defatted cooking liquid (from cooking the pork) and whisk to combine. Makes about 2-1/2 cups.

South Carolina Mustard Barbecue Sauce

1 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons hot sauce
1 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoons ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in medium bowl with 1/2 cup defatted cooking liquid (from cooking the pork) and whisk to combine. Makes about 2-1/2 cups.
google_ad_section_end

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Cranberry Pork Chops

1-1/2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups water, divided
12 oz. pkg. cranberries, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup BBQ sauce (your favorite)
8 bone-in pork chops, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water

In saucepan, combine sugar and 1-1/2 cups water. Cook and stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil; boil uncovered for 5 minutes. Add the cranberries; cook 5 minutes longer or until the berries pop. Skim off foam, if necessary. Stir in BBQ sauce and remaining water. Mix well and set aside.

Season chops with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chops on both sides in oil and drain. Pour cranberry sauce over chops. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat juices run clear. Remove chops and keep warm.

Combine cornstatch and cold water until smooth; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon over chops. Makes 8 servings.

Note: A 16-oz can of whole-berry cranberry sauce may be substituted for the sugar, cranberries and 1-1/2 cups water. Combine cranberry sauce with the BBQ sauce and 1/4 cup water and use as directed in recipe.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Beer-Marinated Flank Steak

This is enough marinade for a 2-pound flank steak.

1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 Tbsp. light brown sugar
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup beer--the original recipe called for a lager, I use something medium-bodied

Combine soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, garlic, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and beer in medium bowl. Submerge steaks in mixture and cover with plastic wrap. Chill for a full day, turning steaks occasionally. Grill as desired; slice on the diagonal.

Note: When I marinate or even brine anything, I put it in a ziploc bag. I bet everyone does...but just in case, I thought I'd pass along the tip.
google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
This recipe is from a sample copy of Cuisine at Home that I received. I like to serve them with a twice-baked potato and some gingered carrots. With a slice of apple pie for dessert.

French Onion Salisbury Steak

1-1/4 lb. ground chuck
1/4 cup fresh minced parsley
2 Tbsp. scallion, minced
2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 Tbsp. flour
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cups onions, sliced
1 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
4 tsp. minced fresh parsley
4 tsp. shredded Parmesan

Cheese Toasts

Combine chuck, parsley, scallion, salt, and pepper. Divide evenly into 4 portions and shape each into 3/4 to1-inch thick oval patties. Place 2 tablespoons flour in a shallow dish; dredge each patty in flour. Reserve 1 teaspoon flour.

Heat one tablespoon oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add patties and saute 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from pan.

Add onions and sugar to pan; saute 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and tomato paste; saute 1 minute or until paste begins to brown. Sprinkle onions with reserved flour, cook 1 minute. Stir in broth and wine, then add the salt and thyme.

Return meat to the pan and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 10 minutes.

Serve steaks on Cheese Toasts with onion soup ladled over. Garnish with parsley and Parmesan. Makes four servings.

Cheese Toasts

4 slices French bread or baguette, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
Pinch paprika
1/4 cup grated Swiss cheese
1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place bread on baking sheet. Combine butter, garlic, and paprika, and spread on one side of each bread slice. Combine cheeses and evenly sprinkle over the butter mixture. Bake until bread is crisp and cheese is bubbly, about 10-15 minutes.

What I do: Since I simply cannot make good meat patties (they fall apart on me everytime), Rick makes the patties about 3 hours prior to dinner and puts them in the refrigerator. I start browning the onions about 20 minutes before browning the patties. (I like my onions to be nice and brown and caramelized.) I use one tablespoon of butter in addition to the olive oil. I use 1/8 cup of red wine and 1/8 cup of white wine, instead of all red wine.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
A Betty Crocker favorite from years ago.

Sweet and Sour Pork

3-1/4 lb. pork Boston shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
3/4 cup flour
1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 cup salad oil
2 (13.5 oz.) cans pineapple chunks, drained (reserve syrup)
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 green peppers, sliced
2 (5 oz.) cans water chestnuts, drained and sliced
2 Tbsp. chili sauce
5 cups hot, cooked rice
3/4 cup sugar

Mix half the flour and all the ginger. Coat pork thoroughly with mixture. Heat oil in large, heavy Dutch oven. Brown pork on all sides, removing pieces as they brown.

Add water to the reserved pineapple syrup to measure 1-3/4 cups liquid; gradually stir into the remaining flour. Stir pineapple syrup mixture, vinegar, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce into the grease in Dutch oven. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; boil and stir one minutes. Stir in sugar, salt, pepper, and pork. Reduce heat, cover and simmer one hour or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally. Add pineapple and green peppers; cook uncovered 10 minutes. Stir in water chestnuts and chili sauce. Cook 5 minutes longer. Serve over hot rice.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Flank Steak Fix-Up

2 lb. flank steak, scored
1 clove garlic, halved
1/4 tsp. marjoram leaves
1 Tbsp. snipped parsley
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup flour
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4-6 slices bacon, browned and drained (reserve drippings)

Rub steak with garlic; season with salt and the pepper. Cut meat crosswise into 4-6 serving pieces. Place one slice bacon on each piece of meat. Roll up and secure with wooden picks or tie with string. Coat rolls with flour. Brown rolls in reserved bacon drippings.

Stir together tomato sauce, marjoram, parsley, and onion. Pour over meat in skillet. Cover tightly; simmer 45 to 60 minutes or until tender. Place rolls on warm platter; remove wooden picks or string. Heat sauce to boiling, stirring constantly. Pour sauce over rolls.

google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
An old, old favorite from Betty Crocker. This recipe was published in Gold Medal's Century of Success book in 1979 (my gosh, that's over 30 years ago!). It's become a family favorite. And I've also made it for friends. Depending on how big you make your pasties, you can serve one for two people.

Even with all the new cookbooks that are being published, I still find myself going back to my old Betty Crocker books. There are some very good recipes to be found in them.

Cornish Beef Pasties

Pastry (below)
Seasoning (below)
Wine Sauce (below)
2 cups pared and diced potatoes
1 lb. round steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
Milk
2 cups diced carrots
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup sliced mushrooms
4 Tbsp. butter
4 Tbsp. water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare pastry. Divide into four equal pieces. Roll each part into 12-inch circle on lightly floured surface. Place circle on ungreased baking sheet.

Layer 1/4 each of the potatoes, beef, carrots, onions, and mushrooms on half the circle. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon Seasoning and dot with 1 tablespoon butter or margarine. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over filling. Fold pastry over filling; turn edge of lower pastry over edge of top pastry. Seal and flute. Prick top with fork, then brush with milk. Repeat with remaining circles. (Use one baking sheet for two pasties.) Bake 55 to 60 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with Wine Sauce.

Pastry:
1-1/2 cups shortening
4 cups flour
2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup water

Cut shortening into flour and salt until mixture resembles small peas. Sprinkle in water, one tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour in moistened and pastry almost cleans side of bowl. Gather pastry into a ball. Proceed as above.

Seasoning: Mix 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed, 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.

Wine Sauce: Heat 1/4 cup butter or margarine over low heat until golden brown. Stir in 1/4 cup flour. Cook over low heat and stirring constantly, until deep brown. Remove from heat; stir in 1-1/2 cups beef broth and 1/2 cup red wine. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir one minutes. Stir in ½ teaspoon parsley. Pass with Cornish Pasties.

Note: If you don't want to mess with making your own dough, the Pillsbury Dough Boy makes a good pie dough. And I won't tell. Just use one circle of dough for each pasty.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Beef Pot Pie

2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
3 lbs. beef chuck roast
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 large onion, chopped
3 cups potatoes, pared and diced
3 Tbsp. chopped parsley
1 tsp. paprika

Pot Pie Squares:
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 Tbsp. cold butter
1 beaten egg
3-4 Tbsp. cold water

In hot oil in Dutch oven, brown beef well, turning to brown all sides. Add a good beef broth or stock just to cover beef; bring to boiling. Reduce heat and summer, covered, about 1-1/2 hours.

To make Pot Pie Squares, sift dry ingredients together. Cut in butter to resemble small peas. Stir in egg and water. Dough will be stiff, but should clean side of bow. On lightly floured surface, roll dough 1/8-inch thick into one 12 x 6-inch rectangle. Cut dough into 1-1/2 inch squares. Let stand, uncovered, while preparing vegetables.

Add onion, potatoes, 2 tablespoons parsley, and paprika to beef in Dutch oven. Cook 15 minutes. Drop half the Pot Pie Squares into the simmering liquid. As they drop to the bottom of the kettle, add remaining squares. Stir gently. Simmer, covered, 25 minutes or until squares are light and cooked through. Sprinkle top with remaining parsley and a dash of pepper. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

NOTE: If you ask my son, what his favorite comfort food is, this is the dish he would tell you. When he and my DIL came for Christmas Eve this past year, he specifically asked me to make this for him. I think I tripled the recipe and we had just a tiny amount left over...which he promptly took out to his car so he wouldn't forget to take it home. This was the first time my DIL ever had Pot Pie Squares....she loved them. I think it's an old PA Dutch recipe; my grandmother would make this for us every time she came to visit.

This is not a dumpling, but more of a thicker noodle. When you first drop the squares into the simmering broth, they will drop to the bottom of the kettle. As they cook, they'll come to the surface. Even though the recipe says to cook the dumplings with a lid, I take the lid off during the last 5 or 10 minutes....we like the very top to be just a wee bit dry.

Of course, you can make Pot Pie with chicken, turkey, or even ham. Our church has a Ham Pot Pie dinner twice a year. But my guys like beef the best.
google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I like to make this dish one day ahead of when I plan to serve it. Chill it well, then separate the meat from the sauce and refrigerate. Early in the morning, on serving day, remove the meat and sauce from the refrigerator. Remove the layer of fat from the sauce and discard. Put meat and sauce together in crock pot. Heat on Low until serving time.

Shredded Barbecued Beef

4 lb. boneless beef chuck
3 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
2 lg. onions, chopped
1 cup catsup
1 cup beef broth
2/3 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. prepared mustard
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. dark corn syrup
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. liquid smoke

In Dutch oven, in 1 tablespoon oil, brown roast well on all sides. In sauce pan, saute onions in remaining oil until tender. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour over roast.

Cover roast. Bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours. Turn roast over and bake 2 more hours or until meat is very tender. Remove roast and shred with forks. Return meat to sauce. Serve on hard rolls.
google_ad_section_end

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a person who usually opens up the fridge and cabinets to see what is on hand and then throws something together. This is a recipe that I actually follow to the letter. It's from an old cookbook from my mom - the cover is long gone, but it looks like a cookbook compiled by a church group. You know it's old when it suggests that you use bacon fat to saute in. It's mouth watering yummy!

Beef in Herb Wine Sauce

3 medium onions, sliced
2 tbsp. bacon drippings
2 lbs. lean beef, cut in 1-1/2 inch cubes
1-1/2 tbsp. flour
1 cup beef bouillon
1-1/2 cups dry red wine
¼ tsp. marjoram
¼ tsp. thyme
¼ tsp. oregano
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
½ lb. mushrooms, sliced and sautéed in ¼ cup butter

Sauté onions in bacon drippings until yellow; remove from pan; set aside. Add meat cubes to pan, sprinkle lightly with flour and brown meat thoroughly. When meat is well browned, add ¾ cup beef bouillon, 1 cup red wine and the herbs and seasonings. Cover pan tightly and simmer over low heat about 2 hours, gradually adding remaining bouillon and wine. Add onions and mushrooms and cook 20 to 30 minutes longer, or until meat is tender. Serve over hot rolls.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Red Beans and Rice

1 small bag red kidney beans
1 lb. sausage
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 large bell pepper, chopped
1 tbl. butter
1 clove garlic
2-3 bay leaves
Tony Chachere’s Creole seasoning to taste

Soak beans overnight. Brown sausage (preferably a good smoked). Sauté vegetables in butter. Put all ingredients in large pan and add enough water to barely cover. I generally use enough Tony Chachere's creole seasoning to cover the entire dish lightly (e.g. very liberally). Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours until tender. Serve over hot cooked rice. Serves 6-8.

I got this from a friend of mine who grew up in the back woods of Louisiana.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Several years ago, I found a recipe from Taste of Home for a ham with cornbread stuffing. You make a "tunnel" throughout the entire ham and fill the tunnel with cornbread stuffing (made with mustard, honey, orange juice, pecans, etc). It's baked and glazed with honey and orange glaze and then served with a raisin sauce. I followed the recipe the first year and it was an instant hit. Since then, though, I've been playing around with glazes, fillings, etc. and every year people rave about the ham. One year, I glazed it with a cranberry glaze, which is quite good. This is our Easter dinner now.

Stuffed Ham with Raisin Sauce

1 boneless fully cooked ham (6 to 7 pounds)
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup butter, cubed
2 cups corn bread stuffing mix
1-1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
1/4 cup egg substitute
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate

Raisin Sauce:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 cup raisins
1-1/2 cups water
1/4 cup cider vinegar

Using a sharp thin-bladed knife and beginning at one end of the ham, carefully cut a 2-1/2-inch circle about 6 inch deep; remove cutout. Cut a 1-1/2-inch slice from the end of removed piece; set aside. Continue cutting a 2-1/2-inch tunnel halfway through ham, using a spoon to remove pieces of ham (save for another use). Repeat from opposite end of ham, cutting and removing ham until a tunnel has been cut through entire length of ham.

In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. In a large bowl, combine stuffing mix, pecans, parsley, egg substitute and mustard. Stir in onion. Stuff ham; cover end openings with reserved ham slices. Place in a shallow roasting pan.

Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 1-1/4 hours. In a small saucepan, combine honey and orange juice concentrate; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until blended. Brush over ham. Bake 30 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 140 degrees.

For sauce, combine the brown sugar, flour, mustard and raisins in a saucepan. Gradually add water and vinegar. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with ham. Yield: 12-14 servings.

Note: Two fully cooked boneless ham halves can be substituted for the whole ham. Simply hollow out each ham; loosely spoon stuffing into each half, then bake as directed.

mepsenhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chili

2lb lean ground beef
1 large onion chop to dice
1 green pepper chopped in small squares
1 clove garlic minced
1 can chili beans in chili sauce
1 can Dark Red Kidney beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can stewed tomatoes
3 tablespoons chili powder

salt&pepper to taste
hot sauce to taste

Add cumin or other spices to personal taste. 

Brown ground beef, onion, garlic, and green pepper in dutch oven.  Salt and pepper to taste while browning.  Drain.  Combine Ground beef mixture, all the beans and tomatoes(Do not drain any cans), 3 tablespoons of chili powder in Dutch Oven.  Bring back to fast simmer.  Add hot sauce to taste.  Reduce to simmer. Simmer 30min.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Straccetti ala Romana (Beef with Arugula) from Cooking with Nonna.com

1lb. London Broil or any large cut beef that you prefer
2 cups fresh arugula
1/2 cup white wine
3 large fresh sage leaves
3 cloves garlic

extra virgin olive oil

salt & pepper

Slice the beef into very thin strips about 2" long.  In a saute pan, add 3 tablespoons of evoo, the 3 whole garlic cloves, and the sage.  Saute the garlic and add the beef.  Saute the beef for about 3-4 minutes while constantly stirring it.
Add the wine.  Salt and pepper to taste and let the wine evaporate.
In the last minute of cooking, add 1 cup of arugula and mix well.

Serve over a bed of fresh arugula.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
From Taste of Home's Grill It! book

CAJUN CHICKEN PASTA

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 4 ounces each                                                              

2 Tablespoons Cajun seasoning, divided                                                                

2¼ cups uncooked penne pasta                                                                                    

1 large onion, chopped                                                                    

2 teaspoons olive oil      

2 garlic cloves, minced  

28 ounce can crushed  tomatoes,  drained  

¼ teaspoon black pepper  

1½ cups half-and-half                                                                         

Rub chicken with one tablespoon Cajun seasoning. Coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Grill chicken, cover, over medium heat 4-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Keep warm.

In a large saucepan, cook pasta according to package directions. In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, sauté onion in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic and the remaining one tablespoon of Cajun seasoning. Cook one minute. Stir in tomatoes and the pepper.

Drain pasta, add to the onion mixture. Stir in cream and heat through, but do not boil.

Put the pasta servings on individual plates and nestle the chicken breasts on top. Makes 6 servings.

Note: I used one chicken breast, about 7 ounces, and then divided everything to serve two people.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Found this on allrecipes.com. Delicious!

Autumn Pork Roast

2-1/2 pounds boneless pork loin

1 teaspoon garlic powder

Salt and pepper to taste

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 cup dry white wine

2 cups cubed butternut squash

1 large onion, sliced

1/2 cup applesauce

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Season the pork loin with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown the pork loin on all sides in the hot oil, about 10 minutes total. Remove the pork loin from the pan, and set aside. Pour in the white wine, and bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the caramelized bits in the pan.

Scatter the butternut squash and onion in the skillet and place the browned pork loin on top so they work as a roasting rack. Stir together the applesauce, mustard, soy sauce, sugar, and cinnamon. Pour over the pork loin, then cover the pan with a lid or a double layer of aluminum foil.

Bake pork loin in preheated oven until it has reached an internal temperature of 145 degrees F (63 degrees C), about 1 hour. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Note:  I used 1/4 cup of brown sugar. I divided the sauce and slathered half of it on the roast at the beginning of the roasting time. 30 minutes later, I slathered the rest of the sauce mixture on the pork. Then I added 1/2 cup of dried cranberries to the vegetables and continued roasting for another 30 minutes or so. While the pork roast was standing (tented in foil), I used a slotted spoon to remove the vegetables from the Dutch oven. Then I reduced the sauce mixture down a bit to make it a little thicker. Spooned the sauce over the vegetables and served that way.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
This is an old Betty Crocker recipe from the 1970s. Rick really likes it. It goes well with salad or coleslaw.

YORKSHIRE BEEF

1    pound ground beef                      

15  ounce can tomato sauce                          

¼   cup chopped green pepper              

2    tablespoons flour                                    

1    teaspoon parsley flakes                        

½   teaspoon salt (I don’t use)                                        

½   teaspoon pepper                                    

1    cup shredded Cheddar

For the Yorkshire topping:

2    eggs

1    cup milk

1    tablespoon vegetable oil

1    cup flour

1/2   teaspoon salt 

2    tablespoons chopped green onion

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cook and stir ground beef in skillet until brown; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, green pepper, 2 tablespoons flour, the parsley flakes, ½ teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir one minute. Pour onto ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Sprinkle cheese on top.

Beat eggs, milk, oil, one cup flour, and ½ teaspoon salt with hand beater until smooth; pour over cheese. Sprinkle with green onions. Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Serve immediately.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fruited Pork Chops

4 boneless chops about 1/2" thick
2 T.flour,1/8 t. salt ,pepper,garlic powder and chili powder for seasoning chops
1-2 firm apples,peel,core and slice about 1/4" thick
1 lg onion,cut in half and sliced,also about 1/4" thick
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. white wine (I usually use pinot grigio but your choice)
pinch of thyme,fresh or dried

Put maybe a tablespoon or so of your favorite oil in a heavy skillet with a lid
Dust the chops with the seasoned flour and brown them on both sides...remove from skillet
Put the onions in the skillet and sauté a few minutes til they start to pick up a little color
Chops go back in the pan along with the apples,thyme,broth and wine
Bring to a simmer,cover and cook maybe 30 to 45 minutes til chops are done and tender
Apples and onions will be soft but have some shape
I mix up a couple of tablespoons of corn starch with a little cold water and thicken
the sauce...taste and adjust your salt and pepper if necessary
I serve with noodles,but rice would be great as well