2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Teaspoon black pepper
1/2 Tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 Tablespoon paprika
1/2 Tablespoon salt
1/4 Teaspoon dry mustard
Dash of cinnamon

4-6 skinless salmon fillets (4 to 6 oz. each)
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1/4 to 1/2 cup hot Chinese-style mustard or Dijon-style mustard, if desired.

Blend all ingredients for Dry Sugar Rub. Generously coat one side of each salmon fillet with mixture.

Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Carefully place salmon fillets in pan, seasoned sides down. Cook about 2 minutes to sear, turn fillets over. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until fish is just opaque throughout. Serve salmon with mustard, if desired.

Serves 4 to 6.

Note: I brushed about one teaspoon of Dijon mustard over the salmon, then coated it well with the rub.
google_ad_section_end

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
From Stop and Smell the Rosemary

Oregano Shrimp

1-1/2 pounds fresh large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 pound angel hair pasta, cooked al dente

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place shrimp in a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle shrimp with lemon juice. Combine bread crumbs, garlic, parsley, Parmesan, and oregano in a small bowl. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over shrimp. Pour butter on top. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Serve over angel hair pasta.

Note: This is easy to halve for two people. Rick and I both think it's an excellent dish and it's so quick to put together. Great with a salad of greens.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Tequila-Lime Grilled Shrimp

2 pounds large shrimp
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup tequila
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 medium shallots, finely chopped
2 tsp. ground cumin
Chopped cilantro (optional; I usually add it)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil

If using wood skewers, soak them in cold water for at least 30 minutes.

Thread shrimp on skewers. Lay in a single layer in shallow nonreactive dish.

Whisk together lime juice, tequila, garlic, shallots, cumin, cilantro, salt and pepper to taste (make sure salt dissolves). Slowly whisk in olive oil until well blended. Taste for seasoning.

Pour over shrimp and let marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours in fridge.

Prepare grill for medium-heat. Grill shrimp about 3 inches from heat, turning once, until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter; shrimp can remain on skewers or be removed. Garnish with lime slices and watercress (or other greens; I like sprigs of cilantro). Serve immediately. Serves 4-6

Note: I'm sure this would be a great appetizer, but I serve it on a bed of rice pilaf.
google_ad_section_end

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Tuna And Noodles

12 oz. pkg. egg noodles
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
4 oz. sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup flour
1-1/2 cups milk
1 cup extra-sharp Cheddar, grated
12-1/2 oz. can tuna, drained

Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and toss with 1 tablespoon butter. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Arrange noodles in pan. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Melt remaining butter in sauce pan. Combine 1 tablespoon melted butter with bread crumbs and set aside. To remaining butter, add onion, celery, pepper, and mushrooms and sauté 10 minutes. Stir in flour until combined. Cook, stirring, 1 minutes. Stir in milk until smooth. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese and tuna. Spoon into baking pan. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake 30 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. Serve hot.

Note: Open and use 3 small cans of tuna, drained, for this recipe. The can size has been decreased to five ounces now, so it's OK.
google_ad_section_end

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This one could go either here or under pasta, but wherever, it's a "go to" in our house.  Always have the supplies around, so when unexpected company stops by, I can quickly put this one together, and it's yummy.  This one is a Rachael Ray 30 minute meal that I have revised just slightly.

Renaissance of Tuna Casserole

your choice of pasta - cooked al dente - reserve some of the cooking liquid.  We prefer flavored angel hair (like garlic infused)

3 T olive oil

lots of chopped garlic

1 small chopped onion

2 cans tuna in water, drained (the kitties love this, cause they get the "juice")

1/2 c sun-dried tomatoes, chopped

1/2 c white wine

1/2 c half and half

frozen peas (the amount depends on you, but in my opinion, the more the better (even though I HATE frozen peas by themselves!!)

capers (see comment about peas from above)

grated parmigiano

1 c fresh basil, shredded (if you don't have this, I frequently leave it out)

lemon zest (if desired)

Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet.  Saute garlic and onions 4 - 5 minutes.  Add drained tuna and sun-dried tomatoes and stir to heat through (1 - 2 minutes).  Add wine and cook it down a minute, and add half and half.  Toss in hot drained pasta, peas, capers and parm.  If it seems a little thick, add some of the pasta water to thin it down.  No need to cook any longer (peas are best without cooking...they defrost just from hitting the hot food in the pan!) Top with basil and lemon zest.  Serve

Note:  Even if just making this for 2 people, I still use the 2 cans of tuna...just cut down on the amount of pasta a boil. This recipe is designed to serve 4, but I prefer less pasta and more sauce

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hawaiian Style Tuna Steaks

2 sheets Aluminum Foil (approx 12 x 12)

1 small can crushed pineapple, drained

2 T teriyaki sauce

1/2 - 1 t grated fresh ginger

salt

frozen vegies of your choice (I use whole green beans)

preheat over to 450 degrees  or grill to medium high

if not using non-stick foil, spray each sheet with Pam, and center a tuna steak on each piece.

combine crushed pineapple, teriyaki sauce, ginger and salt and spoon over tuna steaks.  Arrange frozen vegies on either side of the tuna.  Bring up foil sides, double fold top and ends to seal packet, leaving room for heat circulation inside.  Repeat to make 2 packets.

bake on a cookie sheet 17 minutes OR GRILL 9 minutes in a covered grill. 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Tuna Loaves

6 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1 c. chopped onion
1 c. chopped celery
3 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley
1 c. dry bread crumbs
2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
2/3 c. evaporated milk (you can use fat free evaporated milk)
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp. salt (I don't use the whole tsp)
1/2 tsp. pepper (I use more pepper)
3 (6-1/2 oz.) cans tuna, drained well

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in large skillet; add onion, celery, and parsley. Sauté about 5 minutes until onion is golden. In large bowl, combine onion mixture with 3/4 cup bread crumbs, hard-cooked eggs, milk, lemon juice, beaten eggs, salt, pepper, and tuna. Mix thoroughly.

On lightly greased 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1-inch baking sheet, shape tuna mixture into 8 loaves, using about 3/4 cup for each loaf. Brush with remaining butter. Sprinkle with remaining bread crumbs.

Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve tuna loaves on warm platter. Makes 8 servings.

Note:  This recipe can be easily halved to make 4 servings instead of eight. You can bake the little loaves in greased custard cups instead of forming loaves if you'd like. Remove the loaves from the custard cups to serve; the baked tuna should come right out onto the plate. They freeze well. I like to serve these with just a salad or some kind of potatoes.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Parmesan Baked Scallops

4 tablespoons butter, melted

1 1/2 pounds bay scallops, rinsed and drained

1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1/2 teaspoon dried parsley

3 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

Pour melted butter into a 2 quart oval casserole dish. Distribute butter and scallops evenly inside the dish.

Combine the bread crumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, parsley, minced garlic and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle this mixture over the scallops.

Bake in pre-heated oven until scallops are firm, about 20 minutes.

I use less butter and more garlic than it calls for.

From All Recipes.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is good on a winter afternoon

INGREDIENTS

2-3 pounds of fish belly from fatty fish like catfish or salmon

Enough All American Sodium Sane Seasoned Salt to cover on both sides of fish pieces

PROCEDURE

Heat oven to 500 F
Season one side of each piece of fish with season salt
Place on cookie sheet with foil on it seasoned side down
Season other side
Bake in oven until cooked through and fatty stuff has reduced

OR

Do above procedure but use cast iron skillet on stove top

Serve with wild rice, or potatoes with skin, and DoomsDave’s Infamous Italian mushrooms and some fresh lemon squeezed over it

OINK

NOTES AND THOUGHTS

Lean fish like sole isn’t quite as good; the fat carries the flavor into the accompanying side dishes

If you want to guild the lily, add some extra butter though it’s a bit overkill it’s still good

686BF60B-5FD1-4D73-833D-318F8039576C.jpeg
CBA6DCCD-85C0-454C-9CBF-85FB43DDBDD9.jpeg
CE0C72CF-3200-4078-A8B8-7B5E602AB85D.jpeg

Last edited:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve found I really don’t like that gooey fat so I cook them till they look like the picture. Fat melts and they’re almost crispy like fishy chips.

461501C3-3E07-4F4A-8BDF-98C52039A6EB.jpeg

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is absolutely delicious!

Charred Sugar-Crusted Salmon

Dry Sugar Rub:
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Teaspoon black pepper
1/2 Tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 Tablespoon paprika
1/2 Tablespoon salt
1/4 Teaspoon dry mustard
Dash of cinnamon

4-6 skinless salmon fillets (4 to 6 oz. each)
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1/4 to 1/2 cup hot Chinese-style mustard or Dijon-style mustard, if desired.

Blend all ingredients for Dry Sugar Rub. Generously coat one side of each salmon fillet with mixture.

Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Carefully place salmon fillets in pan, seasoned sides down. Cook about 2 minutes to sear, turn fillets over. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until fish is just opaque throughout. Serve salmon with mustard, if desired.

Serves 4 to 6.

Note: I brushed about one teaspoon of Dijon mustard over the salmon, then coated it well with the rub.
google_ad_section_end
Foaming at the mouth, with the great great grandma seal of approval!

great great grandma.jpg

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As you note, I like my fish, and so does my cardiologist!

SOLE MANURE, THAT'S NOT THE RIGHT NAME, BUT FUNNY

I used to love to watch the late Julia Child to laugh a bit at her corny jokes, and my late uncle's comment that she looked like a man dressed like a woman. (I believed my uncle, though dad made a point of saying the uncle was "pulling my leg.") I even once went out as Julia for Halloween.
Fortunately, that was a long LONG time ago.

Then someone stuck this recipe on MSN and her description of it was so rapturous, even if an obvious pitch to buy some of Julia's books, that I had to try it.

It IS good.

INGREDIENTS

2 skinless and boneless sole, sunfish, swai, or other mild thin fish fillets (1/2 pound each).
8 tbsp of stick butter to clarify or 3 tbsp clarified butter
4 tbsp regular butter
Chopped Italian parsley
half a raw lemon
1/4 cup of white flour
salt and pepper to taste

PROCEDURE
Put the fish fillets on paper towels till ready to coat with flour

Clarify the butter (if you have to); Take an 8tbsp stick and nuke in microwave till it foams. Scoop off the foam with a spoon. That's the milk solids which burn when they get hot. Important because you want to fry the fish in butter.

Trust me, it's worth the trouble! Try to get all the foam. Or get some clarified butter from the store.

Coat the fish on both sides with flour; salt and pepper too, though you can add at the end if you like.

Heat a cast iron fry pan big enough to hold all the fish without crowding; when it's nice and hot, put the clarified butter in it.

Set your iPhone timer for two minutes and put the fillets in the hot butter. When it dings, promptly flip the fillets and do for another two minutes. Remove from pan and place on plate. The fillets should be lightly crispy outside tender inside.

Put 4 tbsp butter in the butter left in the pan and melt it down; squeeze lemon juice from half the lemon. (Much better than pre-prepared lemon juice in a bottle!)

Cut the parsley and sprinkle it over the fillets, then spoon some butter sauce on them; the parsley crackles and wilts under the heat.

Serve with lean sides, like plain potatoes or wild rice or salad.

And, some nice white wine.

THOUGHTS AND NOTES

This has a lot of butter in it, so it's very filling. Startlingly so. You can, I suppose, use olive oil to fry it in, and/or add some white wine to the sauce.

And, Great Great Grandma gives very VERY hearty approval, so hearty, that I had to toss her from my office when I ate it four times, till I finally broke down and gave her some.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Clam Packets With Scallions, Tomatoes, Garlic And Chorizo

Serves 2 to 4.
Ingredients

• 2 large scallions, cut into 2 inch pieces
  • 1 clove garlic, very thinly sliced or chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped cooked chorizo, cut into ½ inch size pieces, optional
  • 1/2 cup chopped tomato or cherry tomatoes
  • 16 littleneck clams, or 12 cherrystone clams
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Freshly ground black pepper
Instructions
  1. Cut two or four pieces of foil about 4 inches by 5 inches. If this is a main course you’ll want to add 8 clams to each packet; if it’s a first course you can add 4 clams and make 4 packets. Divide the scallion, garlic, chorizo if using, and tomatoes in the bottom of the foil, and top with the clams. Drizzle the oil on top and season with pepper. You won’t need salt since clams are so briny. Tightly wrap the foil packs so the juices won’t leak out.
  2. Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to around 400 degrees. Place a grill tray or basket on the grate and clean off the grates and grill tray. Place the clam packets on the grill tray (or directly on the grates if you don’t have a tray or basket) and grill for about 6 to 8 minutes. Carefully, with an oven mitt, open the packet to see if the clams have opened. The clams should just be open and the juices sizzling. If the clams have not opened, carefully reseal the packets and grill for another 2 to 3 minutes. Serve hot.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spicy Thai-Style Mussels

Ingredients

• 1 (32 oz) bag Nature's Promise® Live Rope Grown Mussels
  • 1 (2 -inch) piece fresh ginger
  • 1 cup lite unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1 1/2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
  • 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Steps

• Rinse the mussels under cold water, scrub, and debeard any mussels that need it. Discard any cracked or open mussels.
  • Peel the ginger. Grate ginger into a large pot or Dutch oven. Into pot, add the coconut milk, ½ cup water, and red curry paste. Heat on high and whisk to combine.
  • When liquid is at a boil, add the mussels. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until the mussels are well coated. Cover the pot and reduce heat to medium. Cook 5 min., or until mussels have opened. Discard any mussels that have not opened. Remove pot from heat and garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately.
Tips

Serve with bread for dipping.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
salmon/seafood rice porridge
1 cup of rice white or brown depending if your diabetic
8 cups of water
bring to a boil reduce heat to around mediumor simmer wanna keep a steady boil it will thicken up as it cooks stir as you go a add a salmon fillet assorted seafoodscallops,shrimps etc. break apart salmon once its cooke total cook time around 20 minutes or more once its done can dice green onions to top the bowl add a dash of sesame oil season to taste or leave as is
easy to eat if you had recent dental work done and easy to digest if you have tummy issues(i had both recently :rolleyes:)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fried Rice with Scallops and Five-Spice

Serves 4
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 15 minutes to 16 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1 large leek
  • 4 medium scallions
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 12 ounces dry sea scallops
  • 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided, plus more as needed
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels (thawed if frozen)
  • 4 cups cold cooked white or brown rice
  • 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons five-spice powder
  • Freshly ground black pepper
Instructions
  1. Trim the dark green part from 1 large leek, then cut in half lengthwise. Rinse the halves under cool water to remove any grit. Cut the leeks crosswise into thin half-moons (about 1/2 cup). Thinly slice 4 medium scallions and 4 garlic cloves. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the dark green scallion parts for garnish.
  2. Pat 12 ounces sea scallops dry with a paper towel, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
  3. Heat a large nonstick frying pan or wok over medium-high heat until very hot, 3 to 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the scallops and cook until golden-brown in spots, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
  4. Add 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil to the pan. When the oil is shimmering, add the leeks and 1/2 teaspoon of the kosher salt and cook until tender and just starting to brown, about 2 1/2 minutes. Add the remaining scallions and garlic and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Add 1 cup corn kernels and cook until warmed through, about 1 1/2 minutes.
  5. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Add 4 cups cooked rice and toss until coated in the oil and spread across the surface of the pan. Let cook undisturbed until it begins to crisp at the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon oyster sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoons five-spice powder, and the remaining 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and toss until the rice is evenly coated, about 2 minutes. Taste and season with more kosher salt and black pepper as needed.
  6. Add the reserved scallops and their accumulated juices, and toss until combined and warmed through, about 2 minutes. Transfer the fried rice to a serving platter, top with the reserved scallion greens, and serve.